• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

House Repair / DIY Thread

nayenezgani

Jimmy Neighbour
Kitchen taps; what brands are the go-to for this kind of thing? Moved into a new house and sods law, the damn thing is leaking a few weeks in.

I can see corrosion/rust in and around the hot tap, so I think that might just need replacing or repairing. Or should I just replace the whole unit?

It's some fancy, stossy, designy type faucet and almost impossible to get access to from under the sink. Bloody annoying.

Edit: I've been looking at https://www.grohe.co.uk/en_gb/kitchen/mixer-taps.html who are supposedly sturdy and reliable. But would appreciate an experts opinion.

Last edited:
Kitchen taps; what brands are the go-to for this kind of thing? Moved into a new house and sods law, the kitchen tap is leaking a few weeks in.

I can see corrosion/rust in and around the hot tap, so I think that might just need replacing or repairing. Or should I just replace the whole unit?

It's some fancy, stossy, designy type faucet and almost impossible to get access to from under the sink. Bloody annoying.

Edit: I've been looking at https://www.grohe.co.uk/en_gb/kitchen/mixer-taps.html who are supposedly sturdy and reliable. But would appreciate an experts opionion.
Grohe are the go-to brand in all the Hiltons in the UK. They'll definitely be sturdy if they choose them.

If you're short on space, be careful of taps that have a pull out hose - there needs to be space for the weighted hose to drop or you'll forever be feeding it back in manually.

Kitchen taps; what brands are the go-to for this kind of thing? Moved into a new house and sods law, the damn thing is leaking a few weeks in.

Edit: I've been looking at https://www.grohe.co.uk/en_gb/kitchen/mixer-taps.html who are supposedly sturdy and reliable. But would appreciate an experts opinion.
They seem very pricy. Under the hood, all mixer taps are more or less the same - hot and cold feed.

It is unusual to get rust on taps.

had some quotes on bathroom reno, every person said the same thing, china is china, but taps and things are of the most importance, so spend the extra and get decent ones, you wont regret it.

Had a water softener installed few weeks back, can really tell the difference when showering. Need to get those big salt blocks to replace every few weeks.

Also put the tv on a bracket on dry wall, using the GripIt plugs @scaramanga recommended, seem to do the job, sturdy.

Grohe are decent. Even Screwfix, Toolstation carry some of their products, if you need it in a hurry.

Grohe are decent.
Thirded, I always go with Grohe, they are the bees knees.

I was thinking the other day, how strange the "mixer tap" idea is. Every time I go to the kitchen tap I have to run it a bit to make sure it is cold and then fill up my glass or kettle.... or I have to run it a bit to get hot and fill up a bowl of hot water. I don't ever run a mix really... I guess it is for washing your hands but I tend to do that in about 5 seconds before it gets too hot. Yeah yeah Covid I know.

Thirded, I always go with Grohe, they are the bees knees.

I was thinking the other day, how strange the "mixer tap" idea is. Every time I go to the kitchen tap I have to run it a bit to make sure it is cold and then fill up my glass or kettle.... or I have to run it a bit to get hot and fill up a bowl of hot water. I don't ever run a mix really... I guess it is for washing your hands but I tend to do that in about 5 seconds before it gets too hot. Yeah yeah Covid I know.
Easier to use when your hands are dirty or full.

Any recommendations (or avoidance warnings) about paint brands?

Don’t skimp on decent and appropriate rollers and brushes/brush cleaning.

Replace bricky old skirting and architrave/doors instead of trying to make them good. Quite easy work and it’s a lot quicker and will give you a much better finish starting from scratch.

Back