• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Heurelho Gomes

Spurs7891

Jermaine Jenas
I am really surprised he is still at Spurs. It is very clear Redknapp doesn't have any confidence in him as he is below Friedel and Cudicini for the no.1 goalie spot. Thought he was desperate to leave Spurs and would join any club in January just to get playing time. But read somewhere he declined the chance to join Spartak Moscow. Hard to believe no other clubs came in for him. It seems his reputation as a reliable goalie has been badly damaged since joining us. I wonder if he has any regrets about joining us. He used to enjoy cult status at PSV Eindhoven but now has become unwanted at Spurs.

From what I've read I think he either wants to go back to Brazil or to Holland, but there hasn't been any firm interest or bids, at least nothing realistic.

I bet there is interest but we all know what Levy is like when it comes to negotiating deals, he will not let Gomes go cheaply

Last edited:
I love Gomes, mad genius that he is.

But there's no doubting the fact that Spurs look far more solid and confident at the back with Friedel (or even Cudicini) in goal.

But neither of them can make those "impossible" saves that Gomes can.

Problem is - those 'impossible' saves were offset by the continous blunders, flapping at crosses and general lack of confidence.

His interview outside the training ground when Harry was proven innocent was hilarious. He literally didn't want to say one word.

He was pretty fudging great for 18 months, flawless infact. Typical football fans only remember what happened yesterday though.

He was pretty fudging great for 18 months, flawless infact. Typical football fans only remember what happened yesterday though.

I wouldn't say he was flawless. There were quite a few mistakes during that period that were overlooked by us supporters because he was generally doing so well. In the same vein, there were some great performances when he was struggling which we tend to forget when labelling him a dodgy, insane keeper. When the times are generally good, we as supporters forgive mistakes; when they are bad, the mistakes become amplified, and are the things most of us remember, even more so than the occasional good performance. So I don't think we're judging him based solely on what happened last year; we're judging him on his entire Spurs career; brilliant at times, but woeful at times. And as a goalkeeper, you have to be steady the entire time.

Brad doesn't have Gomes' reflexes. Doesn't have his ability to race across his line to palm away a seemingly unstoppable shot. Doesn't have the agility, the speed; hell, doesn't even have the height. What he does have, though, is calmness, composure and a good grasp of organization; all of which help calm our defence, which then allows our midfielders to advance more, which then allows more support for the forwards. The goalkeeper, though he is the most isolated player on the pitch, is also the one with the most pervasive influence on the team, so it's pretty fudging important that the guy is calm and composed. Even if he mediocre at shot-stopping or controlling the box. As long as he's able to keep the defense focused and ensure their confidence in his judgement, he can get away with being a mediocre or average shot-stopper/ penalty area presence. Unfortunately, Gomes doesn't have that authority, and will likely never have it. A real cracking shame, and I sincerely hope he proves me wrong. I doubt it though.

Thing is, if Harry's off (and let's say Hiddink) comes in... won't Gomes wanna stay around and prove himself??

Actually, if it IS Hiddink I bet Pav is cursing himself, as he'd clearly have got a game!!

Tottenham's Heurelho Gomes failed to agree wages with Palmeiras

Palmeiras claim they have in the past failed to agree a deal to sign Tottenham Hotspur goalkeeper Heurelho Gomes due to his wage demands.

The Brazilian has not played for Spurs since a Europa League outing in November 2011 after falling behind Brad Friedel and new No.1 Hugo Lloris.

And Palmeiras president Arnaldo Tirone has revealed his club were given the chance to sign Gomes before failing to meet the 31-year-old's salary.

Tirone told Lancenet: "Gomes was offered to us but the negotiations didn't work out. His salary is very high."

And Palmeiras say the situation with Gomes is a repeat of when they had the chance to sign Julio Cesar from Inter Milan before his move to Queens Park Rangers.

"It's similar to what happened regarding Julio Cesar," said Tirone.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8319266/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

It is clear Gomes thinks about money more than football. If he had any concern about his football career, he would have joined another club long time ago now. There is no other reason why he is still at Spurs despite not playing much in the last 2 years or so. He is another talent wasted at Spurs.

It is clear Gomes thinks about money more than football. If he had any concern about his football career, he would have joined another club long time ago now. There is no other reason why he is still at Spurs despite not playing much in the last 2 years or so. He is another talent wasted at Spurs.

Well we don't know what Palmeiras was offering. If Gomes is on 50k (being prudent here) and Palmeiras are comin in with a bag of peanuts every week then I wouldn't blame Gomes.

Well we don't know what Palmeiras was offering. If Gomes is on 50k (being prudent here) and Palmeiras are comin in with a bag of peanuts every week then I wouldn't blame Gomes.

Brazil has money in it's football today compared to a decade ago and they seem very keen to get Brazilians in their prime back into the league so I find it hard to imagine them offering him a derisory offer. Also remember that PSV tried to sign him back in the summer but his salary demands were unattainable. Whether right or wrong it's not for me to judge him the trend seems to indicate that he's happy to run his contract down at Spurs losing valuable years of his career unless someone matches his existing salary, which frankly the longer his absence from first team football continues is never going to happen.

Back