• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Help with windows 8 computer

Armchair Expert

Vedran Corluka
Can anyone help?? I'm useless with computers and have unfortunately got a windows 8 computer.

THe internet connectivity was brick, so I refreshed the computer and now nothing is there anymore, virus protection gone, ive got documents I need but now cant access because word is gone, and I cant remember really how to get started because the desktop on windows 8 is so confusing. I'm totally fudged basically and have sod all idea about computers, unfortunately no one I know (in Germany) does either. Can anyone give me some advice on how I can retrieve all the brick that is missing? How the hell do I go about sorting out my Norton subscription?

EDIT: im sure office came on the computer now I cant find a fudging trace of it...

He probably means rebooted.

If it came on the computer you will either have had a disk for it or an internet key to unlock it. Did the computer make you register the first time round?

I went to the trouble shooting options and it said that I could "refresh" the computer to restore factory settings without losing documents and recent updates. it said refreshing the computer and now when its reloaded its come up with a blank desktop with nothing there, everything is gone.....

I went to the trouble shooting options and it said that I could "refresh" the computer to restore factory settings without losing documents and recent updates. it said refreshing the computer and now when its reloaded its come up with a blank desktop with nothing there, everything is gone.....

Look through your paperwork/boxes. Will either find a disc or an internet key of some sort. Likely that 'Factory settings' are not 'shop bought settings'

Can i ask one additional question.

Why?

Last edited:
Sounds suspiciously like the "Refresh" image was not created after the pre-installed apps were installed..

A refresh will keep your files etc, but it will not keep any apps installed unless a custom image is made, there maybe a file on the desktop which shows you what apps etc were removed.

If your lucky then you may have been provided dvd/cd for the pre-installed software, if not then you might have to start speaking with whoever you bought it from or check the manufacturers website for content etc.

Once you have all the apps back installed, do make sure you create a custom refresh image so it does not happen again.

windows 8 is a steaming pile of dog brick.. just put windows 7 on it or ubuntu or something that doesn't suck ass

Sounds suspiciously like the "Refresh" image was not created after the pre-installed apps were installed..

A refresh will keep your files etc, but it will not keep any apps installed unless a custom image is made, there maybe a file on the desktop which shows you what apps etc were removed.

If your lucky then you may have been provided dvd/cd for the pre-installed software, if not then you might have to start speaking with whoever you bought it from or check the manufacturers website for content etc.

Once you have all the apps back installed, do make sure you create a custom refresh image so it does not happen again.

If you sign back in with your windows account then you can get all your apps back by going to the store and seeing which ones you've used previously I think.

If you sign back in with your windows account then you can get all your apps back by going to the store and seeing which ones you've used previously I think.

That does appear to be the case.

After digging around in the internet it would appear that windows 8 refresh keeps files, but deletes any programmes that been installed since the computer was first turned on. Also there is no dates from which to restart the computer, which is a bit fudging stupid because otherwise whats the point in creating these dates for instances such as this!!!

If anyone has windows 8, don't "refresh" your computer unless you want to lose all your programmes.

I've had to download open office until I can get another copy of office from somewhere :rolleyes:

That does appear to be the case.

After digging around in the internet it would appear that windows 8 refresh keeps files, but deletes any programmes that been installed since the computer was first turned on. Also there is no dates from which to restart the computer, which is a bit fudging stupid because otherwise whats the point in creating these dates for instances such as this!!!

If anyone has windows 8, don't "refresh" your computer unless you want to lose all your programmes.

I've had to download open office until I can get another copy of office from somewhere :rolleyes:

Or best method is to install all that you require and then do a custom refresh image, that way you lose nothing :)

Back