• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Help required TV/Broadband/Energy supplier- hypothetical question from my friend

AuroRaman

Chris Armstrong
Hello all

My friend has just moved into a new place and is looking at Virgin Broadband and TV packages. He has noticed that to purchase all the Sky Sports and BT channels would be an extra £45 per month (bar the first six months). Now, his question is, is it worth it?? My friend has access to a fantastic river cruise company who show all Spurs games on their fleets and in pretty good quality. And he is not sure he wants to give money to Sky. Of course he would never stream games, due to the legal implications 8-[ Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

In related news, I have just moved into a new place and we're looking at energy providers. Any suggestions would be great. We don't mind spending more for good customer service and billing clarity.

Cheers!

Guess the question is would he watch stuff other than Spurs? Sounds like he can get to see what he wants to see anyway. I personally wouldn't pay that but maybe he's got the cash to spend?

As for you, not nPower would be my advice.

I had it but never had the time to watch much football and cancelling it saves a lot of money. This was with Virgin and it's nice not lining Murdochs pocket.

You can get 'rivers' of great quality and if he has one already he's not missing anything.

Fight the power!!

And if he is considering getting Sky Movies as well they hardly ever seem to have anything worth watching these days and when they do it's something which has been repeated MANY times. Rivers are the way to an inexpensive life.

Last edited:
Thank you chaps! I'll be sure to pass on the information to...my friend. Thinking that riding the rivers is definitely the way forward.

Had virgin before souled my soul to sky last summer,you won't get much discount from virgin for sky sports,though you get bt sport free if you go for one of two top tier packages plus a discount for netflix and sportify. What i pay for sky now(inc sport,movies and broadband) is equivilant to what i had to pay for sky sports on its own with virgin.

With the energy comparisons it was in the press this week the best value is to go for companies that are outside the big six,some of these smaller companies have actually reduced their prices this month.

I figured that, since we don't really use the landline much, we would only really be paying line rental + whatever broadband package. So it was a no-brainer - go for BT and get BT sport. They have Champions League instead of Sky next year too!

For Sky Sports, I only really want that for Spurs so I've got a Now TV box. A 24 hour pass for Sky Sports is £10, which is extortionate but actually works out cheaper for no more than two matches a month.

I have sky the full package and contemplating getting rid.

I watch absolutely no football except for spurs games, the movies I will have already watched and the channels I do watch are on freeview anyways.

Great stuff guys, really appreciate it.

I have had Virgin providing internet at my Mum's place for the past ten years, so in the end went for a package where she gets a fiver off a month for her broadband and £50 credit. I've gone for one of their packages with TiVo, 160+ channels, on demand etc, another basic box for our bedroom, and 30mg speed broadband (as if), as there is only two of us in the flat. Basic phone line. Worked out at £37 for the first 6 months then £50 for the rest of the contract. No Sky or BT Sports, although someone made the good point that BT will have CL so may revisit that, hopefully in August in time for the qualifiers ;)

Quite a few people have said not to go for the Big 6 in terms of energy providers, so I will definitely take heed on that advice. I forgot how much hard work it is to set this up from afresh in London. In NZ, I made a two minute phone call and had everything set-up and good to go straight away. Much smaller population though, and their internet speed is dial-up at best during certain points of the day.

Thanks again

i am sure that i just watched a new item about sky boxs from those dodgy looking satellite corner shops, they do incredible value of something like 10 pounds a month for the whole lot. 8-[

i am sure that i just watched a new item about sky boxs from those dodgy looking satellite corner shops, they do incredible value of something like 10 pounds a month for the whole lot. 8-[

Its a shame we get so smashed for TV here. I have a dish from another European country. All Legit. It obviosly is in that language but I got their Sports package in HD for 10 Euros. The bonus with this is that it shows all the live games that Sky do and it shows matches at 3pm on the Saturday. So on the odd occasion i can watch Spurs games with no need for a river cruise. And its pretty cheap. That said. I still pay for Sky. I want to watch the Rugby, Formula 1 etc. I get the BT Channel with my internet for free and moved to them on purpose because of that. All in i think my TV is costing me £100 a month :(

Also Sky shows no signs of ever stabalizing their prices. Its getting way out of hand.

The costs of Sky are because the games are handed out in a bidding war. Hopefully EU rulings will be upheld and allow British people to buy more television from other countries at reduced rates. That kind of competition is the only thing that can make Sky more competitive.

Oh and services like Netflix. Why anyone would pay for Sky Movies when Netflix is available is beyond me.

Back