• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Heard an interesting rumour to do with broadcasting

I think the difference come between it being a package thing ala sky or a more direct sale type thing.

If its "just another package deal" I dont see why it should change the monetary structure. Its all well and good the top teams wanting more, but all 20 have to agree dont they? And so why would they?

They would have to limit what games are available in what region (as they do now) but its pretty easy with a streaming service (they do this already).

So they could effectively sell EVERY game to be viewed, between BT/Sky/Amazon(?) in bundles like they do now.
its the language the chairmen are using (as with the overseas rights) we generate the interest so we should get more money, if you are able to split it in this way I think they will do it.

The way you describe is possible I don't think its the way it will go -

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...big-six-win-battle-overseas-television-rights

Its disappointing they got away with that, I think the system as it was is fair and the PL should have kept it.

I wonder why some of the other 14 agreed with them? I think you are absolutely right above - the other teams are all part of the product, so it seems only fair.

Prize money from placement already offers the top clubs more, as does their qualification to Europe (we have seen recently how obscene the CL money is...)

I would want the PL to remain firm. There is already huge disparity between the top and bottom as it is, we dont need to make it worse.

Its disappointing they got away with that, I think the system as it was is fair and the PL should have kept it.

I wonder why some of the other 14 agreed with them? I think you are absolutely right above - the other teams are all part of the product, so it seems only fair.

Prize money from placement already offers the top clubs more, as does their qualification to Europe (we have seen recently how obscene the CL money is...)

I would want the PL to remain firm. There is already huge disparity between the top and bottom as it is, we dont need to make it worse.
pressure from the 6 to take their ball and go away - we don't need or want to make it worse, the owners of the bigger clubs (especially the Yanks - which is weird as the nfl is equally split) are pressuring it though.

Id call their bluff. Have long held the belief that the fabled break away league would be a total disaster. Good luck to them!

I'd like to hope that but doubt it, if "big 6" walked away so would a lot of the crowds and the TV money, even the neutral TV fan will get fed up with Everton v Saudi Sportswashing Machine as the match of the season.

I'd like to hope that but doubt it, if "big 6" walked away so would a lot of the crowds and the TV money, even the neutral TV fan will get fed up with Everton v Saudi Sportswashing Machine as the match of the season.

Think it through though, what happens to the "super league" when its a closed shop?

How do Liverpool handle being just a midtable side when surrounded by Madrid/Barca/Juve/PSG etc?

They have the prestige they do now because they are at the top end of the league, same as us.

Move into a super league and they become Bournemouth, and lose their lustre.

This is the fatal flaw, the top 4 in the mega league hold all the kudos that currently surrounds the top few in EVERY league. All those other "big" clubs become just another side.

And the PL? Id enjoy it without the "haves". Imagine how competitive it will be. Could be a lot of fun.

The TV money would dry up, for sure, but the crowds wont. With a european super league away crowds wont exist. And Evertonians, as per your example, will just crack on as they do now anyway (possibly with cheaper tickets).

Talent? There are only so many players that the top clubs can hold. The PL could become a breeding ground for exiting players.

I think it could be a real shot in the arm for football, to be honest. Watch the big clubs that are strangling all the leagues disappear up their own asses while everyone else gets a clean slate to just enjoy the game.

Think it through though, what happens to the "super league" when its a closed shop?

How do Liverpool handle being just a midtable side when surrounded by Madrid/Barca/Juve/PSG etc?

They have the prestige they do now because they are at the top end of the league, same as us.

Move into a super league and they become Bournemouth, and lose their lustre.

This is the fatal flaw, the top 4 in the mega league hold all the kudos that currently surrounds the top few in EVERY league. All those other "big" clubs become just another side.

And the PL? Id enjoy it without the "haves". Imagine how competitive it will be. Could be a lot of fun.

The TV money would dry up, for sure, but the crowds wont. With a european super league away crowds wont exist. And Evertonians, as per your example, will just crack on as they do now anyway (possibly with cheaper tickets).

Talent? There are only so many players that the top clubs can hold. The PL could become a breeding ground for exiting players.

I think it could be a real shot in the arm for football, to be honest. Watch the big clubs that are strangling all the leagues disappear up their own asses while everyone else gets a clean slate to just enjoy the game.

All good points, but "big 6" probally have more armchair and international fans plus a worldwide profile, that's where the money is, mugs paying to attend matches don't figure much, kids will want to see stars not good players or teams. Fans profile has changed totally, I know people who have changed the team they support a couple of times, that's like swapping your kids, they might be monsters but they're your monster and your stuck with them till you clock off.

As I said, the money will drop out.

But football will win. People will be able to actually go to matches who otherwise cannot as it stands. Which will change the fan profile back to what it was.

All the glory hunters can follow the boring super league (we know itll be dull as dishwater) and the rest of the fanbase can actual enjoy a competitive and accessible league.

I am not saying what I want to happen but what I think will happen. The product will probably a TV season ticket - you can watch all your teams games but not ll games - the bigger clubs will then lay claim to the lions share of the Season ticket.

The 3pm thing is an FA rule, we have the deepest league football in the world and if they wish to remove that there is a lot of politicking to be able to, there doesn't seem to be much support in the FA at the moment.
I don't think the system would work with 3pm blackouts. I've bought NFL Gamepass season tickets before, and the main reason I did so was so that I could guarantee being able to watch all of my team's matches live. I wouldn't have ever considered it if the 9pm matches were blocked out.

I suppose the simple answer is for the PL to sell season tickets and schedule all the matches outside of the 3pm blackout window.

But football will win. People will be able to actually go to matches who otherwise cannot as it stands. Which will change the fan profile back to what it was.

All the glory hunters can follow the boring super league (we know itll be dull as dishwater) and the rest of the fanbase can actual enjoy a competitive and accessible league.
Exactly. I know fans of those outside the big 6 who love the idea of us lot disappearing as several clubs would have a shot at winning the league. If you look at the race for 7th(best of the rest) it is very interesting, and would doubtlessly be a much closer and unpredictable contest year on year and would be very watchable and competitive indeed - the quality wouldnt be quite as good, but nonetheless I'd probably find it more engaging than this European Super League nonsense....

I don't think the system would work with 3pm blackouts. I've bought NFL Gamepass season tickets before, and the main reason I did so was so that I could guarantee being able to watch all of my team's matches live. I wouldn't have ever considered it if the 9pm matches were blocked out.

I suppose the simple answer is for the PL to sell season tickets and schedule all the matches outside of the 3pm blackout window.
I mentioned a knock-on could be less 3pms - In my adult life I am not a regular match goer at the weekend (I prefer the midweeks) so it wouldn't bother me but I understand why its a good time to play (especially for away games). How much of a bung would we have to give Championship - league 2 teams to move their games to 12 noon?

Gamepass blacks out some of the games shown live on Sky. I can't remember if that has always been the case though.

A bit like how the championship is actually a more interesting league then the premiership. Standard is a little lower over the course of a season, but in one off games the standard is not to much different.

Was with a friend watching Millwall against Brighton and i could not tell the difference in quality. Also seems English football is improving at grass roots standard so I think you would see an improvement over the next 10 years in lower league football. Proper fans in grounds again would be a good thing as well, and at a decent price.

Back