• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Heard an interesting rumour to do with broadcasting

I think the clubs will drive it, as some of them are leaving money on the table, there is a huge market of fans wanting to watch all of their teams games, live, from the comfort of their own homes, millions are doing this already via illegal streams, legitimate monetisation is inevitable imo.

If you support one of the smaller teams, particularly the midtable type that have no say in any matches, you only get to watch them when sky dictate - which will invariably be against the top 4-6.

The games you most likely lose.

Being one of those fans, I would love to be able to watch the team weekly, catch all the games that are actually interesting and relevant to the season etc.

I could imagine a PPV kind of deal really taking off with these kind of clubs support.

A 'Team ticket' would be interesting.
Also a GOLD* all you can watch.

Currently consists of SKY + BT and NBC* sports.
Around £1100 UK currently.

*other brands are available

Last edited:
If you support one of the smaller teams, particularly the midtable type that have no say in any matches, you only get to watch them when sky dictate - which will invariably be against the top 4-6.

The games you most likely lose.

Being one of those fans, I would love to be able to watch the team weekly, catch all the games that are actually interesting and relevant to the season etc.

I could imagine a PPV kind of deal really taking off with these kind of clubs support.
on the down side its likely to be the start of equal TV money distribution. Its a drum that the more global clubs are already pushing and if they can split subscriber to club they will do this more (including global imo), in this respect fans of mid table clubs will not benefit. We will benefit compared to most but will be blown out of the water to the likes of Liverpool and Man U.

BT is loaded, they are in a better position than Sky if they want to go all in.

Region block within the UK - is that even possible?
Not really - at least, not without massive help from ISPs.

I'm not in London but my IP shows as being from there.

I don't doubt that it is something that the PL would consider, but I think that route would be unlikely. They get very good revenue with the current model. They get guaranteed income for three year periods, with the broadcaster taking the risks. If people cancel Sky, the PL still get paid.

These auctioned rights also inflate the price. Sky need to offer enough to ensure they get a bundle of packages, which means it has to be above what would be set if market forces (driven by individual customers) were determining the price. Of course, it is possible that the PL might be able to squeeze a bit more out of the customer, but they might not and in exchange they take on risk.

There is also a PR angle. Most of the complaints about the price of football get aimed at Sky, with the criticism of the PL being indirect. The PL wouldn't want the criticism aimed directly at them.

on the down side its likely to be the start of equal TV money distribution. Its a drum that the more global clubs are already pushing and if they can split subscriber to club they will do this more (including global imo), in this respect fans of mid table clubs will not benefit. We will benefit compared to most but will be blown out of the water to the likes of Liverpool and Man U.
On the flip side, what do Burnley or Leicester deserve in terms of TV revenue? I'd imagine there are far fewer people who want to watch rugby than there are football - those teams who play rugby will and should suffer.

On the flip side, what do Burnley or Leicester deserve in terms of TV revenue? I'd imagine there are far fewer people who want to watch rugby than there are football - those teams who play rugby will and should suffer.
If you want to approach i that way, The PL as a product is making revenue- competitive teams are part of the product. The Market is not very good at recognizing long term objectives.

Financially there's no real motivation for the PL to deliver the product beyond holding the auction. It's easy money for them with little aggro or downside.

The interesting change could come when the big tech companies want to get serious. BT and moreso Sky are vulnerable to this. Plus if anyone could get on top of piracy it's Google.

Financially there's no real motivation for the PL to deliver the product beyond holding the auction. It's easy money for them with little aggro or downside.

Until the TV provider runs into financial troubles. Look at what happened - or nearly happened - to the Football Leagute when ITV digital went south in the early noughties.

I suppose Im thinking more in terms of it being a managed product, not a direct sale from the club kind of thing.

It might even work as a subscription to the games NOT on sky, something like that, a competing product but not entirely direct.

With the advent of streaming and on demand as the default way of consuming media it makes sense that the PL would like to get involved in something like it.

I suppose Im thinking more in terms of it being a managed product, not a direct sale from the club kind of thing.

It might even work as a subscription to the games NOT on sky, something like that, a competing product but not entirely direct.

With the advent of streaming and on demand as the default way of consuming media it makes sense that the PL would like to get involved in something like it.
Partnering with Amazon seems like a good fit and they have a "dry run" over Christmas where they will be showing every game on two separate days (I think that was the deal they got). If we go down that route I do see less evenly distributed TV money and less 3pm Saturday games as inevitable though.

Partnering with Amazon seems like a good fit and they have a "dry run" over Christmas where they will be showing every game on two separate days (I think that was the deal they got). If we go down that route I do see less evenly distributed TV money and less 3pm Saturday games as inevitable though.

I think the TV money should be even, and if Amazon (for example) takes off, its an extra revenue stream to boost the coffers - no real reason to change the money structure. Everyone gets more.

I dont really see it effecting 3pm kick offs either. Quite often there is a gap around that time where if I could switch channel to watch a game I would.

BT/Sky often have the lunchtime and evening game but not 3pm.

I think the TV money should be even, and if Amazon (for example) takes off, its an extra revenue stream to boost the coffers - no real reason to change the money structure. Everyone gets more.

I dont really see it effecting 3pm kick offs either. Quite often there is a gap around that time where if I could switch channel to watch a game I would.

BT/Sky often have the lunchtime and evening game but not 3pm.
I am not saying what I want to happen but what I think will happen. The product will probably a TV season ticket - you can watch all your teams games but not ll games - the bigger clubs will then lay claim to the lions share of the Season ticket.

The 3pm thing is an FA rule, we have the deepest league football in the world and if they wish to remove that there is a lot of politicking to be able to, there doesn't seem to be much support in the FA at the moment.

I think the difference come between it being a package thing ala sky or a more direct sale type thing.

If its "just another package deal" I dont see why it should change the monetary structure. Its all well and good the top teams wanting more, but all 20 have to agree dont they? And so why would they?

They would have to limit what games are available in what region (as they do now) but its pretty easy with a streaming service (they do this already).

So they could effectively sell EVERY game to be viewed, between BT/Sky/Amazon(?) in bundles like they do now.

Back