• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Heard an interesting rumour to do with broadcasting

Danishfurniturelover

the prettiest spice girl
Apparently instead of selling off t.v. rights in the future, the premier league are looking to start their own online platform and sell games directly to fans rather then broadcasters to transmit in the UK.

They would do this on a subscription based model.

The guy who told me this works in the city has been a long time friend of ours and hates football so just passed it on rather matter of factly.

Been rumours for years for this. . .Don't see it happening myself, they are getting a cracking return already so why bother. Perhaps in partnership with Amazon or something still with a big fee to remove the risk.

(they have a taster at Christmas to see the numbers)

Not sure how that works with competition as they had to break up the packages by law didn't they, will selling directly effect this?

Sky are screwed if they go down this route.

Who's going to pay the subs for other sports and /or films. Without the Premier league I can't see what they will have.
There are plenty of people that pay for things they don't use. Like training studios. I just cancelled my membership at the gym, but I think I might have accidently cancelled someone else's membership, because I received a mail, where it said they would miss me...

There are plenty of people that pay for things they don't use. Like training studios. I just canceled my membership at the gym, but I think I might have accidently canceled someone else's membership, because I received a mail, where it said they would miss me...
The reason they pay so much is because they know its what keeps the prices high .. They will also know how many take a break over the summer months.

Who's going to pay the subs for other sports and /or films. Without the Premier league I can't see what they will have.
You think every Sky subscriber pays for the football? I know loads that dont, lots of people are more interested in Films, Sky Atlantic etc. and dont have any sports package. I know its a hard concept to grasp, but plenty of people aren't interested in football or sports in general....

You think every Sky subscriber pays for the football? I know loads that dont, lots of people are more interested in Films, Sky Atlantic etc. and dont have any sports package. I know its a hard concept to grasp, but plenty of people aren't interested in football or sports in general....
I am aware some do but a significant number are there for the Football and they pay more and they are more likely top stay. In a world of Netflix & Amazon Prime (new Disney streaming) Football is even more important. People will not pay £60-£90 p/m for GOT, its the Football that underpins their business.

It will run in parallel with the current broadcasters.
The EPL will sell thier brandable channels to whoever ie Apple Netflix etc
It’s pretty mulch what happens now.

It will run in parallel with the current broadcasters.
The EPL will sell thier brandable channels to whoever ie Apple Netflix etc
It’s pretty mulch what happens now.
Same game on multiple channels would be proper competition .. so can't see it myself

It would have an interesting knock on effect on other sports Sky have gone big on, darts and speedway for example.

They will still region block on Netflix and the like in key areas like the uk.
BT will struggle imo
BT is loaded, they are in a better position than Sky if they want to go all in.

Region block within the UK - is that even possible?

Even with NFL gamepass some games are blocked out live if Sky are showing them, you can watch the full broadcast delayed but there are still some concessions to the broadcast rights holders.

Again not arguing against EPL doing this, I would be surprised if they bother as I don't think they are leaving a lot of money on the table with the deals they are getting.

Again not arguing against EPL doing this, I would be surprised if they bother as I don't think they are leaving a lot of money on the table with the deals they are getting.

I think the clubs will drive it, as some of them are leaving money on the table, there is a huge market of fans wanting to watch all of their teams games, live, from the comfort of their own homes, millions are doing this already via illegal streams, legitimate monetisation is inevitable imo.

I think the clubs will drive it, as some of them are leaving money on the table, there is a huge market of fans wanting to watch all of their teams games, live, from the comfort of their own homes, millions are doing this already via illegal streams, legitimate monetisation is inevitable imo.
If this is the case I would be dead against it, it is the start of allocating TV money to the club by Fan and will ruin the league, allocation of the TV money relatively equally is what sets the league apart.

Re illegal streams etc, assuming they can get rid of the 3pm restriction (personally I would keep it*) they can offer this via current sources.

* I am a hypocrite in this regard as I stream pretty much every game, do as I say not what I do!

BT is loaded, they are in a better position than Sky if they want to go all in.

Region block within the UK - is that even possible?

Comcast (Sky) will be hard to compete with for BT.
Champions League, all though overpriced, will be interesting with Disney rumoured to want to get involved.

Back