• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Saudi Sportswashing Machine

The guy was treated disgracefully by the club and the fans up there. He had to go in the end, it was clear they were a mess on Sunday, but the way they did it was classless. For all the talk of how wonderful Saudi Sportswashing Machine and its fans are, they showed a very, very ugly side to a man who was one of them and achieved pretty much what the previous guy did and he was hailed as some sort of messiah.
Completely agree, the double standards shown to Bruce compared to Rafa was a joke! Shearer being one of the biggest culprits to be honset.

Could have been worse if Saudi Sportswashing Machine were in Saudi he could have been kidnapped, thrown in jail or beheaded.

The guy was treated disgracefully by the club and the fans up there. He had to go in the end, it was clear they were a mess on Sunday, but the way they did it was classless. For all the talk of how wonderful Saudi Sportswashing Machine and its fans are, they showed a very, very ugly side to a man who was one of them and achieved pretty much what the previous guy did and he was hailed as some sort of messiah.
He was never wanted and was never going to be accepted by the fan base. That's just how it is sometimes, Graham was a similar example.

He was never wanted and was never going to be accepted by the fan base. That's just how it is sometimes, Graham was a similar example.

I assume his previous spell managing Sunderland caused that. We had Hoddle even though he managed Chelsea and he didn’t get any brick. I know there are a lot of differences in those situations but, even allowing for that, I think he’s been treated very, very badly. The last few weeks particularly have been a public humiliation for him with a lot of people piling in.

Bruce isn’t an elite manager by any stretch but he’s a decent one for bottom half teams. He also seems a decent guy and I feel for him with the public humiliation he’s received. Especially given he’s done, by any measurement, as good a job as Benitez. Very poor form for me and he deserves every penny of whatever payout he got.

It’s an odd move at this time, unless they have someone ready to step in immediately, it’s just further destabilisation of a team which is struggling.

The players were seemingly still behind him.

I guess they did it to curry favour with the fans.

I'm sure the £8m pay off will cushion any stress Bruce has suffered. Tbh that's a ridiculous reward for failing. That's why foot ball is a joke.

I'm sure the £8m pay off will cushion any stress Bruce has suffered. Tbh that's a ridiculous reward for failing. That's why foot ball is a joke.

Did he fail? Had them lower mid-table for two years, same as Rafa. To me, he did a pretty solid job there and was forced out by fans who didn't like him from the off and new owners who didn't give him a chance. The fact he got publicly booted around the place for two years and particularly badly over the last month says he should get £8m if that's the going rate.

Worse managers have got more in the past without the humiliation he's endured.

Did he fail? Had them lower mid-table for two years, same as Rafa. To me, he did a pretty solid job there and was forced out by fans who didn't like him from the off and new owners who didn't give him a chance. The fact he got publicly booted around the place for two years and particularly badly over the last month says he should get £8m if that's the going rate.

Worse managers have got more in the past without the humiliation he's endured.
I think it is ridiculous that a mid to lower table manager gets paid £8 million as a severance payment. In PL terms if the only success you measure at club like Saudi Sportswashing Machine is staying up well then I guess he has been a "success" up til now.

Personally if I was getting paid off 8 million quid at a job I wasn't particularly great at ( he has a win rate of around 24%) I d happily accept some humiliation. I'm sure most ordinary people would swap places with him right now.

I think it is ridiculous that a mid to lower table manager gets paid £8 million as a severance payment. In PL terms if the only success you measure at club like Saudi Sportswashing Machine is staying up well then I guess he has been a "success" up til now.

Personally if I was getting paid off 8 million quid at a job I wasn't particularly great at ( he has a win rate of around 24%) I d happily accept some humiliation. I'm sure most ordinary people would swap places with him right now.

I think it was probably a clever way not to pay him that much. Knowing that there would be a takeover and he'd get the sack, they loaded the cost onto the severance. I'm sure Bruce is quite happy to be out. 7m the first of the oil money splurge.

Tough judging his win rate like that (and its actually almost 38%). He's managed bottom half sides.

Im not sure how well any manager would do managing that Saudi Sportswashing Machine side in those circumstances. Them finishing 12th and 13th is like us finishing 5th or 6th in my opinion. And while you're right, 8m is an obscene amount of money, it is the going rate for PL managers so he's entitled to it. I also wouldn't underestimate the effect of being publicly abused for 2 years. Can't be nice to be a figure of fun and to have your family watch it?

Most people struggle to take any criticism in their work. To take what he's taken, particularly recently, shouldn't be underestimated.

Presumably if Newcash do go down, they will be looking for someone who is experienced at getting teams out of the Championship, and will give Steve Bruce a call...

I think hes been very lucky throughout his career, Fat Sam gets pelters but at less he had a plan, Bruce's teams in premiership were always dour side hoping to nick a result and he was always ready to walk out on a club. Championship manager no more.

I think hes been very lucky throughout his career, Fat Sam gets pelters but at less he had a plan, Bruce's teams in premiership were always dour side hoping to nick a result and he was always ready to walk out on a club. Championship manager no more.

He has always managed brick teams in a division higher than they should be though.

Back