• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harrys Trial

Willy;6686[B said:
]He did offer to pay a few years ago - HMRC wouldn't accept it.[/B]

Also if he is found guilty, then the Proceeds of Crime Act kicks in - just Google HMRC Steed and you'll see that some guy that fiddled less then ?ú4,000 tax got stung for ?ú700,000 under PoCA

I thought it was the other way round, Harry was offered a deal, but would not take it, because he had done nothing wrong....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-16677743

From BBC Sport:

Tottenham Hotspur manager Harry Redknapp received $295,000 which he had no intention of declaring for tax purposes, a court has heard.

Mr Redknapp was paid the "bungs or offshore bonuses" by former Portsmouth chairman Milan Mandaric while he was manager at the club, it was claimed.

Jurors were told secret payments were made to Mr Redknapp's Monaco bank account in the name of his dog.

Mr Mandaric and Mr Redknapp deny charges of cheating the public revenue.

John Black QC opened the prosecution's case at Southwark Crown Court by telling jurors "both parties must have known" they were avoiding taxes.

Peter Crouch
"These payments were a bung or offshore bonus that the parties had absolutely no intention of paying taxes for," he said.

Jurors were told when Mr Redknapp was director of football at Portsmouth his contract entitled him to 10% of net profit from transfers.

When he moved to the manager's job in March 2002, his profits from transfers reduced to 5%, the prosecution said.

When striker Peter Crouch, who was bought for ?ú1.25m, was sold for ?ú4.5m, Mr Redknapp's share was ?ú115,473 - but that would have been double had his contract not changed.

Serbian-born Milan Mandaric is now chairman of Sheffield Wednesday
The prosecution allege Mr Redknapp instead received a secret payment from Mr Mandaric into an account in Monaco in the name of "Rosie 47" - a combination of his pet dog's name and his year of birth - the prosecution said.

It was heard that in 2002 Mr Mandaric paid $145,000 into this account and on 13 January 2003, following a fax request from Mr Redknapp, $100,000 moved from "Rosie 47" to a company in Miami called First Star International.

The prosecution claim this firm was a personal account for Mr Mandaric and on 21 April 2004 Mr Mandaric wrote a cheque from it to Mr Redknapp for $150,000.

Early in 2008 Mr Redknapp wrote to the Monaco bank and requested the remaining $207,000 to be transferred to his London HSBC account, the court heard.

The jury was told that Mr Redknapp never mentioned the Monaco account as he was investigated by HM Revenue and Customs officials over his transfer dealings at West Ham United.

The probe, between January 2004 and October 2006, "was originally prompted by concerns over a ?ú300,000 payment... regarding profit made in a player transfer, namely Rio Ferdinand," Mr Black said.

The Monaco bank account eventually came to light during an inquiry into illicit payments in football, led by Lord Stevens, the former Metropolitan Police Commissioner, jurors heard.

Heart surgery
Both men deny two counts of cheating the public revenue.

The first of the two charges alleges that, between 1 April 2002 and 28 November 2007, Mr Mandaric paid $145,000 (?ú93,100) into a bank account held by Mr Redknapp in Monaco, to avoid paying income tax and National Insurance.

The second charge for the same offence relates to a sum of $150,000 (?ú96,300) allegedly paid by Mr Mandaric to the same account between 1 May 2004 and 28 November 2007.

Mr Redknapp, 64, of Poole, Dorset, who underwent minor heart surgery last year to unblock his arteries, is the most successful English manager in the modern game, having led Portsmouth to FA Cup success and Spurs to last season's Uefa Champions League quarter-finals.

Serbian-born Mr Mandaric, 73, of Oadby, Leicestershire, is now chairman of Sheffield Wednesday, having previously worked at Leicester City.

The trial continues.

I thought it was the other way round, Harry was offered a deal, but would not take it, because he had done nothing wrong....

That was my understanding too, it would be quite unwise of HMRC to spend this much money on court and legal fees without asking for the tax he 'owes' to be paid back first, infact, the courts would rather see an out of court settlement. Its crazy to think that for not paying tax you get taken straight to court..... not a chance, there will have been numerous meetings and deals to settle out of court to save embarrassment. It is for this reason I think Harry is probably innocent.

My Dad used to work (until recently) for Government QUANGO's and said that ultimately they are dealing with tax payers money. They want what is owed first and foremost and any kind of court action is a very, very last resort.

Seriously, opening an offshore bank account in your dog's name! Great manager for us, but bent as a two bob watch.

who cares? if he did it, hes guilty. If he didnt do anything, hes not. just because someone likes or dosnt like the outcome dosnt mean anything.

You must be very naive if you believe that. Especially in these days where people have an open forum to view their opinions. The truth matters less and less, and perception tends to carry far more weight than the truth.

arry.gif

This trial seems to have been postponed again anmd again.

I seem to remember this could have been done and dusted in the summer (and in summer 2010?), then the autumn. And then now.

Can somebody tell me why this trial hasn't been over and done with until now?

Thanks

the whole thing about him being entitled to 5 or 10% of player sales is crazy - that is something the FA should crack down on.

how can you have a fair and sporting competition if that is how football club business is run?

This trial seems to have been postponed again anmd again.

I seem to remember this could have been done and dusted in the summer (and in summer 2010?), then the autumn. And then now.

Can somebody tell me why this trial hasn't been over and done with until now?

Thanks

you really think HMRC vould do anything that quickly!?

i just got a tax rebate from SIX years ago!

you really think HMRC vould do anything that quickly!?

i just got a tax rebate from SIX years ago!

But my point is that the trail was set to start in the summer 2010. It has been postponed many times from that time, so however slowly you say the HMRC are, a date was set and has been postponed many times until now..

the whole thing about him being entitled to 5 or 10% of player sales is crazy - that is something the FA should crack down on.

how can you have a fair and sporting competition if that is how football club business is run?

commission on trading profit - its a means of keeping the club financially alive and on the flip side ensures that the club doesn't just buy relatives with no sell on potential.

That was my understanding too, it would be quite unwise of HMRC to spend this much money on court and legal fees without asking for the tax he 'owes' to be paid back first, infact, the courts would rather see an out of court settlement. Its crazy to think that for not paying tax you get taken straight to court..... not a chance, there will have been numerous meetings and deals to settle out of court to save embarrassment. It is for this reason I think Harry is probably innocent.

My Dad used to work (until recently) for Government QUANGO's and said that ultimately they are dealing with tax payers money. They want what is owed first and foremost and any kind of court action is a very, very last resort.

They've probably spent more on this case than Redknapp got.

Back