• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Winks

A fit Winks will replace Dembele for us
I think so too. But I also think we need another option there. Winks and Dembele have both had their injury issues. And some inconsistency from a young player like Winks should be expected. Dembele might have a storming season next year, but he might have a season on injuries. It might be getting to the time when replacing him is the smart decision too.

With our seeming preference for primarily defensive midfielders for one of the deep midfield roles creativity from the other player there quickly becomes vital. I remain hopeful, though not necessarily confident, that Onomah could make an impact next season. But if not it's a key area for a new signing imo.

I think so too. But I also think we need another option there. Winks and Dembele have both had their injury issues. And some inconsistency from a young player like Winks should be expected. Dembele might have a storming season next year, but he might have a season on injuries. It might be getting to the time when replacing him is the smart decision too.

With our seeming preference for primarily defensive midfielders for one of the deep midfield roles creativity from the other player there quickly becomes vital. I remain hopeful, though not necessarily confident, that Onomah could make an impact next season. But if not it's a key area for a new signing imo.

Do we sign one though to do we wait for Oliver Skipp to step up

Again it’s the challenge of buying vs developing

Do we sign one though to do we wait for Oliver Skipp to step up

Again it’s the challenge of buying vs developing
If Skipp is looking ready to step up in the next 12-18 months. Or if Onomah is getting there I think waiting might be the best option. But Skipp is only 17, and Onomah has been getting mixed reviews in the Championship... I also think Skipp might end up a natural for that more defensive midfield role, but with added creativity. If he steps up to that level that is.

Depends on who is available and for what cost as well. Those top level creative central midfielders that can also do what's required defensively aren't exactly easy to pick up. Getting someone in that can do a job next season already... I have no clue who that player is.

If Skipp is looking ready to step up in the next 12-18 months. Or if Onomah is getting there I think waiting might be the best option. But Skipp is only 17, and Onomah has been getting mixed reviews in the Championship... I also think Skipp might end up a natural for that more defensive midfield role, but with added creativity. If he steps up to that level that is.

Depends on who is available and for what cost as well. Those top level creative central midfielders that can also do what's required defensively aren't exactly easy to pick up. Getting someone in that can do a job next season already... I have no clue who that player is.
Skipp is 17 but a big lad
He also stepped up for the under 23s against Chelsea who don’t lose. He moved from centre mid to centre back and was impressive
He may be one of those who just has it despite his age

Skipp is 17 but a big lad
He also stepped up for the under 23s against Chelsea who don’t lose. He moved from centre mid to centre back and was impressive
He may be one of those who just has it despite his age

Poch usually picks a few of the academy players to go on the pre-season tour. I wonder if Skipp is in with a chance, or if it is still too early for him to be given that step-up.

Yep
Oakley is quite small though
Skipp looks big

Oakley-Boothe is taller than Skipp but less built.

I've heard Oakley is more Winks/Modric-like and Skipp more Onomah/Dembele-like. Does that sound about right?

No. Skipp is a holding midfielder, in our squad Dier is probably the closest comparison. Oakley-Boothe is harder to define and hasn't really impressed for a while now but hopefully he manages to kick on again at some point, right now he reminds me a bit of Jenas.

Oakley-Boothe is taller than Skipp but less built.

No. Skipp is a holding midfielder, in our squad Dier is probably the closest comparison. Oakley-Boothe is harder to define and hasn't really impressed for a while now but hopefully he manages to kick on again at some point, right now he reminds me a bit of Jenas.

Shows how TV can make everyone look different

Oakley Booth looked to me to be something like 5’6

Hardly bare bones

With Dembele Winks Wanyama Dier we have an excellent core of 4 players, if and when 3 or 4 are fit and match ready.

Who would want Herrera, Matic, Fabregas, Bakayoko, look at the Gooner midfield, look at Liverpool... look at City who play creative players in midfield.

We've never had it so good.

And then factor in all those kids you mention coming through, particularly Onomah who has shown great promise at Villa when played in central midfield

Southgate loves him, so perhaps he'll get the benefit of the doubt, even if he's rusty.

The AOC injury helps his cause too presumably.

Back