• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Winks

Was it two years ago he scored his last and only league goal for us, says it all, when Kane and Son are off it, like last night, for us to get somewhere we need our midfielders to contribute. Kane last shot at goal last night was in the 35min....

Jose had Lampard at Chelski, what he would do find a player like that now...

Was it two years ago he scored his last and only league goal for us, says it all, when Kane and Son are off it, like last night, for us to get somewhere we need our midfielders to contribute. Kane last shot at goal last night was in the 35min....

Craven Cottage in January 2019 was his last PL goal

although he also scored against Spammers back in 2016

Very very different positions though
Winks plays as out deepest sitting midfielder

Can someone please tell me what Harry Winks does? I don't see the benefit he provides to the team so I welcome thoughts?

People say he recycles posession well but that's meaningless if it doesn't push the team forward. Think of Carrick, think of Modric, they made the entire team function.

Winks offers nothing to me, if he wans't through the system he would have been carted off long ago. May as well stick Gedson in there, literally will do the same job. Nothing defensively, nothing offensively, just a body on the pitch.

possession recycling isn't about moving the team forward, its about moving the opposition around imo

and where the ball is during this isn't really important, the ball can't move into space until the players have made it

My main issue with him (or playing him in that position) is that he doesn't sniff out, react to or anticipate danger. Our midfield with him and Hojberg looks more open then when Hojberg plays at the base alone during games are alongside Sissoko. Further to this in a team of not particularly good passers playing a not particularly good passer as some sort of deep lying playmaker is never going to work unless he is press resistant like Dembele a passer like Eriksen or that rarest of breeds a press resistant passing midfielder like Modric or Ndombele.

I maintain that a few issues could be resolved by playing the fatman in midfield with Hojberg and sticking someone else in at #10.

My main issue with him (or playing him in that position) is that he doesn't sniff out, react to or anticipate danger. Our midfield with him and Hojberg looks more open then when Hojberg plays at the base alone during games are alongside Sissoko. Further to this in a team of not particularly good passers playing a not particularly good passer as some sort of deep lying playmaker is never going to work unless he is press resistant like Dembele a passer like Eriksen or that rarest of breeds a press resistant passing midfielder like Modric or Ndombele.

I maintain that a few issues could be resolved by playing the fatman in midfield with Hojberg and sticking someone else in at #10.
It's so bloody obvious. Sure we might be more open defensively but the benefits very likely pretty the negatives. At least try it rather the same negative tactical setup that clearly doesn't work against a certain level of opposition.

It's so bloody obvious. Sure we might be more open defensively but the benefits very likely pretty the negatives. At least try it rather the same negative tactical setup that clearly doesn't work against a certain level of opposition.
It's all levels of oppo really. When we beat Emirates Marketing Project I felt that we rode our luck. And this strategy of letting the oppo have chances is risky. Find a striker in form, or a lucky shot (Wet Spam), or Harry/Son not quite on it/shackled, and we are fcuked.

Fulham
21A0378D-984D-4E87-95EA-7A96F49B0D51.png
Leeds
29BD93E9-7547-4998-9D82-9E37D72ACE71.png
Arsenal
377AFB00-ED86-4ADA-8AE3-E29DABC6A82B.png
City
9A183680-F753-4C90-A58A-6D2B458D6D87.png
Wolves
9A183680-F753-4C90-A58A-6D2B458D6D87.png

I’d say your wrong TBH about winks
Our midfield in the two games we have played winks abs Hojdjberg together what’s looked decent actually (admittedly a limited opposition too)
The main reason is they actually can both pass to each other and despite what you saying they do sniff out danger as a pair too
Playing sissoko there is ok but limits out ability to keep the ball and progress via midfield. We have to rely on attacking brilliance

I’ve posted defensive stats for Fulham, Leeds, Arsenal and City. I’d argue sisoako suits us vs city and arsenal because we see him as a defensive contributor... what the stats show is that Hojdjberg in those games is actually doing most of the defensive work

look at the numbers vs Leeds when we played winks with Hojdjberg and we’re arguably playing a more pressing aggressive game.. winks numbers are compatible to his partner (but winks passing numbers that game weren’t high)
Vs Fulham winks did more defensively than Hojdjberg...
and winks passing numbers in that game were very high and he made a lot of passes of all types
So, I’d argue, as I have done for some time, if we’re playing a lesser side we don’t need sissoko starting. He is however very very useful a finisher to kill the game for us (something we’re lacking)
Winks and Hojdjberg at least whilst we don’t have a number 10 (that jose wants) to replace Tanguy so he can drop deeper is our best option by some way. It would only benefit us though if we play an attacking player wide tight too alongside son and Kane

I’ve also added wolves to show you the similarity between winks and Hojdjbergs numbers in a game when they play together and actually made over 60 pass attempts each (comfortably our highest) and in par with Moutinhos passing numbers that game

Attachments

• 71FFF522-F124-439C-9836-05AE90008634.png
    71FFF522-F124-439C-9836-05AE90008634.png
    324.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 73F98CEA-427A-4D90-A68A-99A3E18D2EA1.png
    73F98CEA-427A-4D90-A68A-99A3E18D2EA1.png
    350 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Fulham
View attachment 10626
Leeds
View attachment 10627
Arsenal
View attachment 10629
City
View attachment 10630
Wolves
View attachment 10630

I’d say your wrong TBH about winks
Our midfield in the two games we have played winks abs Hojdjberg together what’s looked decent actually (admittedly a limited opposition too)
The main reason is they actually can both pass to each other and despite what you saying they do sniff out danger as a pair too
Playing sissoko there is ok but limits out ability to keep the ball and progress via midfield. We have to rely on attacking brilliance

I’ve posted defensive stats for Fulham, Leeds, Arsenal and City. I’d argue sisoako suits us vs city and arsenal because we see him as a defensive contributor... what the stats show is that Hojdjberg in those games is actually doing most of the defensive work

look at the numbers vs Leeds when we played winks with Hojdjberg and we’re arguably playing a more pressing aggressive game.. winks numbers are compatible to his partner (but winks passing numbers that game weren’t high)
Vs Fulham winks did more defensively than Hojdjberg...
and winks passing numbers in that game were very high and he made a lot of passes of all types
So, I’d argue, as I have done for some time, if we’re playing a lesser side we don’t need sissoko starting. He is however very very useful a finisher to kill the game for us (something we’re lacking)
Winks and Hojdjberg at least whilst we don’t have a number 10 (that jose wants) to replace Tanguy so he can drop deeper is our best option by some way. It would only benefit us though if we play an attacking player wide tight too alongside son and Kane

I’ve also added wolves to show you the similarity between winks and Hojdjbergs numbers in a game when they play together and actually made over 60 pass attempts each (comfortably our highest) and in par with Moutinhos passing numbers that game
If we’re playing a lesser side we don’t need Sissoko or Winks starting IMO. Winks gives us nothing that either Ndombele or Lo Celso don’t.

If we’re playing a lesser side we don’t need Sissoko or Winks starting IMO. Winks gives us nothing that either Ndombele or Lo Celso don’t.
Then who plays 10?
As I said until Jose has the player at 10 he ain’t moving Tanguy further back
So on the basis Lo Celso shares his fitness with lamela we have 1 player who can currently play there in Jose’s eyes (yeah dele could but Jose ain’t playing him)
And the comment was about the midfield being more open with him which it isn’t. It’s actually better
But I would love to see PEH, Tanguy and Lo Celso play together for a run of games. Not the odd one here and there that we have seen to date

Then who plays 10?
As I said until Jose has the player at 10 he ain’t moving Tanguy further back
So on the basis Lo Celso shares his fitness with lamela we have 1 player who can currently play there in Jose’s eyes (yeah dele could but Jose ain’t playing him)
And the comment was about the midfield being more open with him which it isn’t. It’s actually better
But I would love to see PEH, Tanguy and Lo Celso play together for a run of games. Not the odd one here and there that we have seen to date
Dele, Lo,Celso, Lamela (in that order for me).

If we really must start with either Winks or Sissoko alongside Hojbjerg then I would probably rather it was Sissoko (although there’s not much in it). Neither contribute much to our attacking play, or particularly help us play out from a press. Sissoko though is better at recovering a position and getting goal side, whereas I think Winks tends to be wrong side of his man too often. Winks makes more passes than Sissoko but I think some of that may be due to the two or three, nothing passes he makes in a sequence. Often Dier will pass it to Winks, who will pass it back to him, receive it again, pass it to Sanchez, receive it again and then pass it to Aurier. Sissoko just passes it to Aurier without the other two in between that just allow the opposition to get themselves more organized.

I think against a good team we might as well have Sissoko there for his better defensive attributes. Against a weaker team then neither of them because neither contribute anything worthwhile to attack.

Dele, Lo,Celso, Lamela (in that order for me).

If we really must start with either Winks or Sissoko alongside Hojbjerg then I would probably rather it was Sissoko (although there’s not much in it). Neither contribute much to our attacking play, or particularly help us play out from a press. Sissoko though is better at recovering a position and getting goal side, whereas I think Winks tends to be wrong side of his man too often. Winks makes more passes than Sissoko but I think some of that may be due to the two or three, nothing passes he makes in a sequence. Often Dier will pass it to Winks, who will pass it back to him, receive it again, pass it to Sanchez, receive it again and then pass it to Aurier. Sissoko just passes it to Aurier without the other two in between that just allow the opposition to get themselves more organized.

I think against a good team we might as well have Sissoko there for his better defensive attributes. Against a weaker team then neither of them because neither contribute anything worthwhile to attack.

Sissoko does pass to Aurier more than anyone when I checked it out
He also the gets in the way of Aurier when he play right wing/right blocker (not sure what you would call it)
As I’ve said before winks does as much defensively as sissoko against the weaker sides and plays much more progressively but people don’t want to see it.

jose is not starting dele
Lamela is broken and is still a stupid player
And Lo Celso so far has suffered Lamelas injury virus
Of them all Lo Celso is the one for me as he has the better communication of the skills
But he needs to be fit to do that

winks is not the long term answer possibly but right now he the option against teams when we will have the ball

Last edited:
Winks needs pressure, his natural game isn't to push the tempo, to force the game, he now knows if he doesn't make an impact, he'll sit the next game (or few games) out.

Just the way it should be, he'll either step up or be a squad player ..

Could not agree more and it is in his hands, Jose is the manager who will probably be saying the same thing to him ( it worked with Tanguy but seems to have failed with Dele)> To be honest it was not just last nights came that he is showing what he can do he has done so in a few games lately.

Lovely goal from him last night, also thought he drove forward more then i have seen him do for a while and i hope he keeps it up.
Drove forward more, more vertical passing that I think Mourinho pointed out after the game.

The issue is that he has to do that, or at least do that more than he usually does, against better teams to. He's showed that he has that in him, but not consistently. I still think there's a chance he steps up a level.

Back