• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Winks

Winks would be a Delph type signing for City. Minimum game time and just there for the sake of being there even though Delph could play in several positions.

This only makes sense if they are selling John Stones.

City currently have 4 association trained players in their squad (Sterling, Walker, Stones and Ake). For the Champions League a maximum of 4 of the 8 locally trained players can be association trained.

But Stones posted on his Instagram on Sunday - "Four years ago today I signed for this amazing club! What a 4 years it’s been, 2PL, 1FA, 3EFL, 2 Community Shields, I have loved every minute and I am looking forward to my future here."

I like Winks but I'd be tempted to sell and promote Skipp

I think Jose is already a fan of Skipp and sees him as the only DM in the squad prior to PEH signing.

I think he could be used as PEH’s understudy next season and the coaching team will hope he kicks on and learns from PEH, to really develop as a solid option in the DM role.

Alternatively he may be sent on loan to a decent championship club to get regular game time.

This only makes sense if they are selling John Stones.

City currently have 4 association trained players in their squad (Sterling, Walker, Stones and Ake). For the Champions League a maximum of 4 of the 8 locally trained players can be association trained.

But Stones posted on his Instagram on Sunday - "Four years ago today I signed for this amazing club! What a 4 years it’s been, 2PL, 1FA, 3EFL, 2 Community Shields, I have loved every minute and I am looking forward to my future here."
'Loved every minute' shame you haven't played every minute:rolleyes:

I think Jose is already a fan of Skipp and sees him as the only DM in the squad prior to PEH signing.

I think he could be used as PEH’s understudy next season and the coaching team will hope he kicks on and learns from PEH, to really develop as a solid option in the DM role.

Alternatively he may be sent on loan to a decent championship club to get regular game time.
I think he would benefit from a loan BUT if he is the only genuine DCM option (especially if we change shape as I expect) he needs to stay as back up.

I like Winks but I'd be tempted to sell and promote Skipp

I'd bite their arm off for 40M honestly, he's not that good, and he won't develop at City (he and Ake just help their homegrown numbers)

Winks out, Eze & Brooks in with Skipp still on books (loan)

You probably end up with Winks, KWP, Amos, CCV out and PEH, Eze and Brooks in for net spend of 0 .. leave budget for RB

Skipp played as a box to box midfielder in the youth set up, so I think that it is reasonable to think that he could cover a number of midfield positions.

I'd be really sad to see Winks go. I probably rate him more than the average poster on here so that might be why.

I see the thinking in terms of making funds available and he might not ever become a clear first choice so we can do without him.

I just think we're yet to see the best of him, and he's already a very useful player. Not just home grown, but true academy product. Seems to have a very good attitude. I would fear that whoever we think will be better as a signing might end up at a level where we regret losing Winksy in the end.

Winks is decent, but can easily be upgraded for that kind of money. His passing is not variable enough, usually playing it safe. Shoots like a 5 year old boy that is kicking a ball from jimmy greaves' era.

I simply cannot see this happening. Young, home-grown, Tottenham lad, England international, not short of ability, receptive to coaching and learning, four years left on his contract. We can't be selling him for £40 mill to another PL team.

My thoughts as well, he has had problems ( health and playing out of position) but i do think Jose sees him as a important player>

Winks is decent, but can easily be upgraded for that kind of money. His passing is not variable enough, usually playing it safe. Shoots like a 5 year old boy that is kicking a ball from jimmy greaves' era.
Not sure about him being someone we can easily upgrade on. I'd say there's a decent chance we'd be able to get an upgrade for that kind of money, but a solid portion of signings flop, many others take time to adjust.

Winks is a known quantity, settled, and could improve further in the coming seasons. We're in something of a transition, most likely with several new players to fit in, and existing players we need to step up. Even just as a squad player Winks provides predictable and fairly stable performances. Not so sure about expecting that from a new signing.

I can see the logic of selling him to bring in cash to spend, but it should be acknowledged that this would be a gamble. Personally I'd rather gamble on Winks improving.

Not sure about him being someone we can easily upgrade on. I'd say there's a decent chance we'd be able to get an upgrade for that kind of money, but a solid portion of signings flop, many others take time to adjust.

Winks is a known quantity, settled, and could improve further in the coming seasons. We're in something of a transition, most likely with several new players to fit in, and existing players we need to step up. Even just as a squad player Winks provides predictable and fairly stable performances. Not so sure about expecting that from a new signing.

I can see the logic of selling him to bring in cash to spend, but it should be acknowledged that this would be a gamble. Personally I'd rather gamble on Winks improving.

Solid analysis. However I think we should be brave and go for it. I dont think he starts ahead of the current crop and let's be honest we need people to come off the bench and make a change ... he just doesnt offer that in my opinion.

We do have a lot of central midfielders - Lo Celso, Ndombele, Hojbjerg, Sissoko, Winks, Fernandes, Skipp. I like Winks as a squad player, but if Ndombele still has a proper future here then it might be worth cashing in on Winks IMO (if there is already strong interest in him). In fact even if Ndombele goes this window, I think there’s a decent argument for cashing in on Winks too and promoting Skipp or Fernandes to 4th choice CM (behind Lo Celso, Hojbjerg and Sissoko).

We do have a lot of central midfielders - Lo Celso, Ndombele, Hojbjerg, Sissoko, Winks, Fernandes, Skipp. I like Winks as a squad player, but if Ndombele still has a proper future here then it might be worth cashing in on Winks IMO (if there is already strong interest in him). In fact even if Ndombele goes this window, I think there’s a decent argument for cashing in on Winks too and promoting Skipp or Fernandes to 4th choice CM (behind Lo Celso, Hojbjerg and Sissoko).
We would need another passing capable CM if both Ndombele and Winks were to leave. It would leave us far to reliant on GLC to create and set the tempo much like we did in the earlier Poch era with Eriksen. One injury to GLC and that midfield would look incredibly blunt once again.

Back