• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Winks

Tottenham midfielder Harry Winks feels it is only a matter of time before the club end their trophy drought under manager Mauricio Pochettino.

Pochettino took charge in 2014 and led Spurs to the Champions League final in May, only to be beaten by Liverpool.

Their 2008 League Cup triumph remains Spurs' only trophy in two decades.

Winks, who started the 2-0 defeat by Liverpool, said: "As long as we keep believing in what we have to do... I'm sure [trophies] are round the corner."

"Everybody is ambitious in the squad," added the 23-year-old lifelong Spurs fan, who signed a new five-year contract with the club earlier this month.

"Of course there comes a time when players want to start winning trophies. But there is a bigger picture at Tottenham."

With their new 62,000-capacity stadium now open and £53.8m record signing Tanguy Ndomele added to Pochettino's squad, Tottenham look well placed to challenge near the top of the Premier League again this season, having finished in the top four for four seasons in a row for the first time since the 1960s.

Winks and Ndombele are both in a squad also including Toby Alderweireld and Cristian Eriksen that travelled to Singapore for the first game of the club's two-match tour of Asia, against Juventus on 21 July.

"You can feel the family atmosphere the manager has created," said Winks.

"Everyone gets on really well. There are no big egos - no-one gets on better with one person than anyone else.

"We obviously have incredible talent in the squad but when you have that, mixed with humble attitudes and players who want to improve, that can only breed success.

"The manager brought me through at the age of 17 to where I am today. It has been an incredible journey and one I want to stay on."

What an intervention from Winks with that tackle, and to come away with the ball beating another man. I do think that came at a critical part of the game and he had to get it absolutely right. Should be a gif or two floating about of his 360 spin before getting up to jink the other way, does show some quick feet in those tight situations.

One negative I noticed from his performance though, I think he hit 3 passes out to KWP on the right in the first half that seemed to kill momentum slightly, with Walker Peters having to check back. I think all 3 go down as completed passes but young Harry should be able to be consistently ping that ball out in front of the fullback as it has much more chance of being a telling ball if he get it in to space for the player to run on to. Rather than a potential attacking situation it just turns it in to a happy to keep possession type of thing...Hope it has been picked up and technique will be looked in to.

What an intervention from Winks with that tackle, and to come away with the ball beating another man. I do think that came at a critical part of the game and he had to get it absolutely right. Should be a gif or two floating about of his 360 spin before getting up to jink the other way, does show some quick feet in those tight situations.

One negative I noticed from his performance though, I think he hit 3 passes out to KWP on the right in the first half that seemed to kill momentum slightly, with Walker Peters having to check back. I think all 3 go down as completed passes but young Harry should be able to be consistently ping that ball out in front of the fullback as it has much more chance of being a telling ball if he get it in to space for the player to run on to. Rather than a potential attacking situation it just turns it in to a happy to keep possession type of thing...Hope it has been picked up and technique will be looked in to.

We don't seem to play the ball in front to run onto, it's always to feet. Baffles me tbh.

I was screaming at him to stand and jockey their player but maybe he was done for pace if that happened. It was a super tackle in the end but why on earth was he so exposed like that. Suicidal team defending.

I was screaming at him to stand and jockey their player but maybe he was done for pace if that happened. It was a super tackle in the end but why on earth was he so exposed like that. Suicidal team defending.

He was the cover for corners in pre season too, I think it’s intentional, which worries me as he’s not quick enough to be that isolated.

He was the cover for corners in pre season too, I think it’s intentional, which worries me as he’s not quick enough to be that isolated.

Totally agreed. I reckon you should have at least two covering because with one, even if they're Usain Bolt, you're potentially leaving them one on one. It's dangerous.

It was cool but he got injured. Hopefully it was a kick rather than pulling a ligament or twisting his glass ankle.

He's silky indeed but not incisive enough for me in attack. I agree too many sideways passes when there was option going firwards.

I think he is lacking vision, so sometimes misses the opportunity to start something. Or maybe lacks the courage to.

Sent from my SM-G975F using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

He's silky indeed but not incisive enough for me in attack. I agree too many sideways passes when there was option going firwards.

I think he is lacking vision, so sometimes misses the opportunity to start something. Or maybe lacks the courage to.

Modric used to get similar criticism but played the same role as Winks - deep in midfield and getting then ball off the CB to start attacks. That naturally means you won’t be playing the final incisive pass

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Modric used to get similar criticism but played the same role as Winks - deep in midfield and getting then ball off the CB to start attacks. That naturally means you won’t be playing the final incisive pass
Modric moved the ball forward and was looking for forward pass, Winks when he first came into the team did move forward with the ball, but now he has turned into Dier or Tripplier (move forward 2 steps play the ball back/side wards, that must be what he is told to do by Poch or the coaching team

FWIW

I wonder how long he will miss now after the inevitable ankle injury. It was a brave challenge but was sliding in like that the right thing to do with those ankles.

Needs consent games and more luck with injuries than last season to really get back into his stride I think.

Thought there were good signs against Villa. More expansive passing, but needed better movement ahead of him.

He goes around on the pitch working his socks off, does a lot of good work that goes unnoticed most of the time. He is turning out to be a very important player for us who may not get the plaudits that some of our players receive but he is vital to our play.

Sounds like Eriksen ;)

Back