1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

Harry Kane

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by thfcsteff, 29 Jan 2013.

1. nayimfromthehalfwayline

nayimfromthehalfwayline Chris Perry

How about playing at the head of a team hamstrung primarily by having a lack of a midfield, and secondly by a litany of key injuries?

2. Benny_Lad

Benny_Lad Espen Baardsen

Clearly leggy from overuse and WC. But......I predict 7 in 7 league games from now to Jan 1st. It's what he does.

3. Robbo

Robbo Edgar Davids

But...he made the top ten at the Ballon d'or awards, so he can't be that bad. 10th place, actually.

4. Daisuk

Daisuk Paul Stalteri

Hahaha, what a stat.

SteveAWOL, Kandi1977, mjc23 and 7 others like this.
  5. johnola

johnola Naybet

And he’s not been anywhere near one of his purple patches in that time.

6. Daisuk

Daisuk Paul Stalteri

Damn, did not know this. Crazy.

Then again, we don't lose many home games these days.

7. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Tom Huddlestone

We have never lost a game where Dele has scored at all

Daisuk likes this.
  8. glorygloryeze

glorygloryeze Steffen Iversen

Fixed

9. Bullet

Bullet Paul Robinson

I don't like these sorts of stats. It is like saying we've never lost a game when Rose or Ben Davies or Serge Aurier has scored (because they only scored 2 goals or whatever).

When they said it about Aaron Lennon, all it meant was (a) he hardly ever scores and (b) he only scores in games where we're winning.

Also, when you have a brilliant defence like Spurs HAD over recent seasons, it is not unlikely that scoring in a game = not losing.

Not impressive - more impressive to say a player has scored the winning goal in 60% of games he played in, or something similar.

SteveAWOL, glasgowspur, Robbo and 3 others like this.
  10. DeanoAustin

DeanoAustin Naybet

Exactly, it means f**k all. It's not as if Alli scores the first goal so we're more likely to win than if Son (or someone) scored it. It's just a coincidental stat that isn't worth the time it took to research. If anyone puts any value on it, they don't understand what they are talking about.

Correlation does not imply causation.

Bullet likes this.
  11. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Tom Huddlestone

Well as Alli does score first and last regular and has a habit of scoring against the best sides it does matter

glorygloryeze likes this.
  12. DeanoAustin

DeanoAustin Naybet

The stat itself means nothing though. He scored for us against Burnley last season in a 1-1 draw for example. If Lamela or Moura had scored that goal, does it mean we could have lost the game? Was our goal somehow more valuable just because Alli scored it?

The fact he scores winning goals or that he scores so many goals against Chelsea and other top teams is a meaningful stat.

That we haven't lost a league game when Alli scored means nothing in itself.

papaspur and Bullet like this.
  13. glorygloryeze

Chillax! The not losing a game when Alli has scored (in the PL) is no more 'meaningful' than the stat that he scores so many goals vs top teams. It's all interesting trivia...however, Alli scoring in a game might make us as fans or his teammates start to feel confident we won't lose

#justsaying

14. DeanoAustin

DeanoAustin Naybet

Haha I'm very chillaxed.

That he scores against top teams means something. For instance, Lukaku doesn't score many against the top teams and never has which indicates that he isn't really in the same class as Harry. Dele doing it strongly infers a lot about him.

Us not losing any time he scores is just a coincidence that may be the result of some great goalkeeping by Hugo, super defending from Toby or Kane scoring a hat-trick. It's a meaningless stat.

By the way, he did score when we lost to Wet Spam in the League Cup last year IIRC which just underscores the irrelevance of the stat.

papaspur and Bullet like this.
  15. glorygloryeze

Indeed re the bolded bit; that's why i updated @Bedfordspurs post to say PL game..:cool:

DeanoAustin likes this.
  16. parklane1

parklane1 Dimitar Berbatov

Be very careful, you will have the stats police on your back otherwise.

DeanoAustin likes this.
  17. DeanoAustin

DeanoAustin Naybet

Didn’t he score in the cup semi final too? Does that mean that if Dele scores before the opposition in knockout games, we always lose?

18. Jon

Jon Allan Nielsen

Just whiled away ten minutes reading the first ten or so pages of this thread :D

If you ever need evidence of who has a clue about football and who doesn’t, then the start of this thread is the smoking gun you need!

Robbo and monkeybarry like this.
  19. Danishfurniturelover

Danishfurniturelover Rafael Van Der Vaart

Sell him, bring in welbeck on a free then get that young Italian keeper at AC Milan.

20. El Guepardo

El Guepardo Pedro Mendes

I will say that I really wanted Soldado to succeed with us, and always hoped that he would soon turn the corner. Sadly that never materialised, and in the end Kane getting game time helped towards Kane’s success, so it all worked out well.

I’ll be honest and say that I didn’t think Kane would be a great striker. I didn’t see it about him, I thought he had strength but didn’t offer as much as I thought he could. I am very pleased to have been proved wrong. Kane has exceeded beyond the level that I could wished for, and for him to come through our youth system only adds to his success story.