• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Kane MBE

Some great points. The reporting one was absolutely bizarre. Made no sense.

On the Kane’s, I wonder did they think that Harry was a GHod with the fans who understood, by and large, why he wanted to go. Levy’s stock had also plummeted in the last two years. Maybe they thought they couldn’t lose that PR battle and if they threw in “gentleman’s agreement”, that would override the inconvenient fact he has a 3 year contract. What Harry Kane and every footballer who is lucky enough to play for us need to realise is that even if we understand your reasons for wanting to leave, you never, ever disrespect our club by whoring yourself in the media and not turning up to train. It doesn’t matter who you are.

What the Kanes also need to understand is you won’t bully Daniel Levy. Say what you like about him but when it comes to balls and negotiating, he’s the toughest in the business.

I hope they realise what a complete mess they’ve made of this. I don’t think Harry’s a bad lad. I’ve lost a lot of time for him but he’s still a great player and, ordinarily, a great pro. But he’s represented by a complete amateur who has helped destroy Harry’s public image and destroyed any affection most of us had for him.

It's just amazing how they lost the PR war. And amazing that they both seemed to have no idea of leverage. 3 years on the contract, English player, in his prime, one of the best in the world, are we really going to sell to a competitor for less than he is worth?

I was so against Levy like 2 months ago, but this situation has helped me back to seeing his benefits. But I also think there has been a miscalculation of where we are as a club right now. I'm sure Kane genuinely thought Levy would want to sell, that he would want the money, and his whole 'maybe if he can get 100 million for me maybe he'll want to do a deal' probably wasn't actually psychological mastery, I think the Kanes probably thought Levy would want the deal. After all, we sold Berbatov, we sold Carrick, Modric, Bale, Walker. We'd do it in the end, it's all just a ploy.

But I'm really hoping that getting the stadium done means we are actually a club with a different standing in the game now. All clubs will lose players, even United, PSG etc. But we now have more strength, and I wonder if this is the source of the miscalculation. Part of the Kanes probably thinking that the last couple of seasons has sent us back to our 'rightful' place, but maybe they were the blip, and maybe we really are a top 4 side, minimum now.

So yeah...maybe we are in a position to really refuse to sell unless a great bid comes in. I just don't get how City and the Kanes will have miscalculated it so badly. It didn't for one second look like we would waver, that we were feeling the pressure, and we came at it from a position of strength, and it made the Kanes look very, very stupid. Like they were playing a game from 2005, not for today.

A proper, smart reading of the situation would have seen Kane say nothing publicly, but state behind the scenes he wants to go if a good bid comes in. He literally would have been in the exact same situation but without the making up to do with the fans. And he's now needlessly lost 2 games in order to to chase the goal scoring records. It's really good for us, as it shows we are a club serious about competing, not trying to get the money where we can. But for the Kanes....what a hilariously bad mis-reading of the situation, a hilariously bad miscalculation of the moving parts, I am genuinely shocked that one of the best players in the world would play his hand so terribly and have it turn out this way. Genuinely funny - you expect people in positions of power to know what they are doing, and in this instance, a couple of people clearly didn't know. It's always nice to be reminded that not even very successful people have it all figured out!

I am wondering though what a different agent might have done? I guess someone better connected may have sweetened the deal for us, either having the balls to pressure CIty to up their bid, or to line up a deal for a replacement that softens the blow with another club via their connections, at a deal that really works for us.

But I do wonder whether any of it would have really helped...it all comes back to signing a contract for 6 years, meaning you'll be 29 when you have 2 years left and have any leverage on it? Which super agent would get them out of that pickle?

I feel like either way, if he left with a better agent we would have made out very sweetly from it. But it was always likely he stayed this year at least.

I am wondering though what a different agent might have done? I guess someone better connected may have sweetened the deal for us, either having the balls to pressure CIty to up their bid, or to line up a deal for a replacement that softens the blow with another club via their connections, at a deal that really works for us.

But I do wonder whether any of it would have really helped...it all comes back to signing a contract for 6 years, meaning you'll be 29 when you have 2 years left and have any leverage on it? Which super agent would get them out of that pickle?

I feel like either way, if he left with a better agent we would have made out very sweetly from it. But it was always likely he stayed this year at least.

Charlie’s biggest mistake as an agent, 3 years ago, was letting his 25 year old brother sign a 6 year deal with a club only on the verge of the elite without a release clause. That was incompetence. I’m happy he did it but if Harry had aspirations of winning trophies with or without us, which is obviously the case, the signing a long term deal with a club who has no recent track record of trophies, has no recent record of signing proven talent and is notoriously difficult to deal with when you want their players was nothing short of brain dead.

I’m not sure any agent could have made this happen. If Levy wanted 160 and City’s best offer was less than half that plus cast offs - that’s just too much of a difference. Levy is never negotiating if that’s the opening offer. Maybe if they came to the table with something realistic, Levy relents a bit. But 25m less than they paid for Grealish? Never happening. I don’t understand transfers well enough but I’d assume a good agent spots that early and realises it’s not happening until City get real. Levy holds all the cards so you can’t flush him out. Maybe you flush City out by getting rumours out there that someone else is in. I never heard anything serious about another clubs interest.

But if all that’s going on, you make sure your client is protected in public. You don’t let him miss training when a deal is so far away. You don’t let him do media when a deal is so far away. You don’t put out nonsense insulting statements to try and rescue the situation.

Every step of the way, Kane has been badly advised and his situation badly handled. Serious question - has Charlie ever negotiated a transfer of note or any transfer in his entire career?

As I said earlier, even if one of us were Chairman, Harry would still be here. Quite simply, a big number never came. A number not even worthy of a conversation. In a way, City made it easy for Levy.
And made idiots of the Kane's.

Hopefully if we can make some smart moves in the market and on the pitch with Nuno and the gang things can start looking up again. It'll be tough in this league BUT with crowds back and the golden goose starting to lay hopefully that starts to put a floor under how far we can fall.

I think it's been confirmed that wasn't on Charlie's watch.

Really. I stand corrected so. Whoever did let him do that shouldn’t be representing players. I take that bit back so but still think he did a stinking job around the rest of it.

Edit: just saw it was Marlon Fleischman who was his agent although the article I read says Charlie was involved.

Charlie’s biggest mistake as an agent, 3 years ago, was letting his 25 year old brother sign a 6 year deal with a club only on the verge of the elite without a release clause. That was incompetence. I’m happy he did it but if Harry had aspirations of winning trophies with or without us, which is obviously the case, the signing a long term deal with a club who has no recent track record of trophies, has no recent record of signing proven talent and is notoriously difficult to deal with when you want their players was nothing short of brain dead.

I’m not sure any agent could have made this happen. If Levy wanted 160 and City’s best offer was less than half that plus cast offs - that’s just too much of a difference. Levy is never negotiating if that’s the opening offer. Maybe if they came to the table with something realistic, Levy relents a bit. But 25m less than they paid for Grealish? Never happening. I don’t understand transfers well enough but I’d assume a good agent spots that early and realises it’s not happening until City get real. Levy holds all the cards so you can’t flush him out. Maybe you flush City out by getting rumours out there that someone else is in. I never heard anything serious about another clubs interest.

But if all that’s going on, you make sure your client is protected in public. You don’t let him miss training when a deal is so far away. You don’t let him do media when a deal is so far away. You don’t put out nonsense insulting statements to try and rescue the situation.

Every step of the way, Kane has been badly advised and his situation badly handled. Serious question - has Charlie ever negotiated a transfer of note or any transfer in his entire career?

Yep, agreed.

The mistake was 3 years ago. And Covid didn't help. I can understand you'd expect maybe more clubs to come in for you if you're 28 and pushing to leave. Similarly it seemed like Kane was insistent to stay in the PL.

Seb Bloor in The Athletic said it well. Honesty would have gone a long way. Kane had the PR on his side 2 months ago. He'd outgrown the club, and we'd underperformed. We as fans wouldn't have wanted him to leave for City but we would have understood deep down. He could have said, 'I'm getting towards my 30s, I've had some injuries, and I've done everything I can but unfortunately the club hasn't progressed as I thought they would.' 2 months ago, a majority of us would have probably agreed.

Just mind boggling he decided to do it the way he did. The Neville interview. The missing training. The wedding leak. Absolute amateur hour, and it played the fans for fools. There was no need. He didn't generate any leverage and he just made the whole situation worse. And this isn't hindsight, it was blindingly obvious. If he was honest, he may still not have gotten his move but we all would have understood. This was just a crazy miscalculation and I still can't understand why they didn't fully understand what was going on.

Harry Kane wants £400k a week from Tottenham Hotspur after admitting defeat in bid to leave

Harry Kane has been in talks about an improved contract which he hopes could be worth up to £400,000 a week after admitting defeat in his attempt to leave his current club, Tottenham Hotspur, for Emirates Marketing Project.

The England captain has come to realise that City were not willing to meet Tottenham’s asking price of £150 million but has been seeking a wage to reflect that valuation and one that would put him among the Premier League’s highest-paid players.

Kane is thought to have been given a pay rise when Tottenham refused to allow him to leave last summer, taking him towards £300,000 a week, with bonuses, in a contract that runs until 2024. Kevin De Bruyne, the Emirates Marketing Project midfielder, who earns £385,000 aweek, and Manchester United goalkeeper David De Gea, on £375,000 a week, are the league’s best-paid players.

Tottenham would only be likely to hand Kane another rise if it were heavily linked with bonuses, including those relating to goals. The forward could also try to insert a release clause if he signed a new contract to enable an exit next summer.

“I will be staying at Tottenham this summer and will be 100 per cent focused on helping the team achieve success,” the 28-year-old wrote in a Twitter post in which he thanked fans for their support.

An initial bid of £100 million by City was rejected before the Premier League champions told Tottenham that they would be willing to pay £120 million plus add-ons, but Daniel Levy, the Tottenham chairman, has been unwilling to negotiate.

The Times revealed last week that City would have to raise funds by selling Bernardo Silva or Aymeric Laporte if they wanted to raise their bid, but there has been no firm offer for either player at their £50 million asking prices. No City player wanted to move to Tottenham as a makeweight in a deal.
After it became apparent that City would not make an improved offer, Kane conceded that the transfer would not happen and told Nuno Espírito Santo, his Tottenham head coach, yesterday. Kane is expected to make his first start of the season as Spurs try to overturn a 1-0 deficit to Paços de Ferreira and reach the Europa Conference League group stage tonight.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/harry-kane-i-will-stay-at-tottenham-this-summer-m2xmdq6v0

Yep, agreed.

The mistake was 3 years ago. And Covid didn't help. I can understand you'd expect maybe more clubs to come in for you if you're 28 and pushing to leave. Similarly it seemed like Kane was insistent to stay in the PL.

Seb Bloor in The Athletic said it well. Honesty would have gone a long way. Kane had the PR on his side 2 months ago. He'd outgrown the club, and we'd underperformed. We as fans wouldn't have wanted him to leave for City but we would have understood deep down. He could have said, 'I'm getting towards my 30s, I've had some injuries, and I've done everything I can but unfortunately the club hasn't progressed as I thought they would.' 2 months ago, a majority of us would have probably agreed.

Just mind boggling he decided to do it the way he did. The Neville interview. The missing training. The wedding leak. Absolute amateur hour, and it played the fans for fools. There was no need. He didn't generate any leverage and he just made the whole situation worse. And this isn't hindsight, it was blindingly obvious. If he was honest, he may still not have gotten his move but we all would have understood. This was just a crazy miscalculation and I still can't understand why they didn't fully understand what was going on.
Perhaps both Kanes had lost perspective of the fans, having spent too long in their ivory towers, and felt that Harry deserved his move and would have a queue of clubs vying for his signature.

It’ll be difficult to source a replacement then - and any available will be overpriced. Add into that any transfer involving Kane will be complex, and difficult to conclude in the short time available in January. I’d agree it’s likely any move will be next summer.

Fair point.

It's just amazing how they lost the PR war. And amazing that they both seemed to have no idea of leverage. 3 years on the contract, English player, in his prime, one of the best in the world, are we really going to sell to a competitor for less than he is worth?

I was so against Levy like 2 months ago, but this situation has helped me back to seeing his benefits. But I also think there has been a miscalculation of where we are as a club right now. I'm sure Kane genuinely thought Levy would want to sell, that he would want the money, and his whole 'maybe if he can get 100 million for me maybe he'll want to do a deal' probably wasn't actually psychological mastery, I think the Kanes probably thought Levy would want the deal. After all, we sold Berbatov, we sold Carrick, Modric, Bale, Walker. We'd do it in the end, it's all just a ploy.

But I'm really hoping that getting the stadium done means we are actually a club with a different standing in the game now. All clubs will lose players, even United, PSG etc. But we now have more strength, and I wonder if this is the source of the miscalculation. Part of the Kanes probably thinking that the last couple of seasons has sent us back to our 'rightful' place, but maybe they were the blip, and maybe we really are a top 4 side, minimum now.

So yeah...maybe we are in a position to really refuse to sell unless a great bid comes in. I just don't get how City and the Kanes will have miscalculated it so badly. It didn't for one second look like we would waver, that we were feeling the pressure, and we came at it from a position of strength, and it made the Kanes look very, very stupid. Like they were playing a game from 2005, not for today.

A proper, smart reading of the situation would have seen Kane say nothing publicly, but state behind the scenes he wants to go if a good bid comes in. He literally would have been in the exact same situation but without the making up to do with the fans. And he's now needlessly lost 2 games in order to to chase the goal scoring records. It's really good for us, as it shows we are a club serious about competing, not trying to get the money where we can. But for the Kanes....what a hilariously bad mis-reading of the situation, a hilariously bad miscalculation of the moving parts, I am genuinely shocked that one of the best players in the world would play his hand so terribly and have it turn out this way. Genuinely funny - you expect people in positions of power to know what they are doing, and in this instance, a couple of people clearly didn't know. It's always nice to be reminded that not even very successful people have it all figured out!

Plenty of Spurs fans were "get him out of our club, take whatever City is offering .. blah, blah", it took conviction not to waver, not to feel the need to comment, to let the other side do the talking.

Genuinely I think was just a predatory bid by City, they assumed Spurs were under huge financial pressure, stadium debt, Covid and loss of top level European football and they could get a great asset on the cheap while they wait for Haaland. They fed Harry & co a line and they fell for it hard (amateur hour brick)

The issue for them, just like a lot of our fans, is whatever Levy's faults are, managing money, cash flow, procuring low interest loans, etc. is not one of them. We have also a long time ago stopped selling players (we want to keep) for profit, and if they go, it's typically outside of UK if we can.

The only way Kane could have won this is if City publicly made a bid somewhere near a fair valuation (probably north of £145M), but even then, they completely sabotaged themselves with paying the £100M release clause for Grealish.

Back