• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Kane MBE

Last edited:
The key is first creating the chances.

had more chances vs West Ham than palace - couldn’t score enough to compensate for the defensive incompetence. Hell we couldn’t hit the actual target and was wasteful

Had a LOT of games where we created the most chances but didn’t maximise on them

the weekend just gone we scored 4 from 5 on target... Fulham we had 2 on target that were weakly missed ... Burnley 7 shots for 4 goals

those numbers many said were unsustainable not that long ago but in reality if you take more of your chances that you concede you win

I will say we don’t create many chances in that spell of losses, but in the drawn games excluding wolves the issue was not taking chances

had more chances vs West Ham than palace - couldn’t score enough to compensate for the defensive incompetence

Had a LOT of games where we created the most chances but didn’t maximise on them

the weekend just gone we scored 4 from 5 on target... Fulham we had 2 on target that were weakly missed ... Burnley 7 shots for 4 goals

those numbers many said were unsustainable not that long ago but in reality if you take more of your chances that you concede you win

I will say we don’t create many chances in that spell of losses, but in the drawn games excluding wolves the issue was not taking chances
Our XG against West Ham was (less than) 1. We created hardly any good chances. That being said I thought the performance was OK really, sometimes you have to credit the opposition and West Ham defend very well.

I’ve been pretty pleased with the performances in our last half a dozen games, we have clearly changed our tactics to leave more players higher up the pitch. We are also pressing more and winning it back higher up more often. Credit to Jose for adapting our game plan.

Last edited:
Our XG against West Ham was (less than) 1. We created hardly any good chances. That being said I thought the performance was OK really, sometimes you have to credit the opposition and West Ham defend very well.
Don’t disagree, they were great defending
But again the xG in other games was lower than what we scored (palace game was 2.24, Burnley 2.36)
Hence my comment ... take your chances and the awful defending becomes less of an issue
Great players, confident and fit can outscore the Xg... and do just that.

Don’t disagree, they were great defending
But again the xG in other games was lower than what we scored (palace game was 2.24, Burnley 2.36)
Hence my comment ... take your chances and the awful defending becomes less of an issue
Great players, confident and fit can outscore the Xg... and do just that.
Yes but create more (better) chances and you’ll get more goals. The first and fourth goals on Sunday were as close to guarantees as you could get. You shouldn’t expect to win by hoping to out score your XG.

Yes but create more (better) chances and you’ll get more goals. The first and fourth goals on Sunday were as close to guarantees as you could get. You shouldn’t expect to win by hoping to out score your XG.
Yep I agree
But again I come back to the time where we were having 2 main scorers (Kane and son, which is now Kane and Bale as son hasn’t scored in the league regularly for some time)
Just exceeding our xg with not a huge amount of chances and people going it cant last
I think it can last as long as you have players who can score. I mean that’s obvious and simple of course
But in reality the key change for us is the full backs and having at least one who will support attacks and add that extra man and extra dimension. Add in a fit and motivated bale and it’s a different side.

The problem before wasn't having 2 regular goal scorers, it was only having 2 players who ever looked like scoring (honestly why does that need explaining??) and it was taken over a sample size of over half a bloody season - you're now talking about how we're looking over a handful of games with more more players getting involved in the final third creating chances and getting in to goalscoring positions.

Yep I agree
But again I come back to the time where we were having 2 main scorers (Kane and son, which is now Kane and Bale as son hasn’t scored in the league regularly for some time)
Just exceeding our xg with not a huge amount of chances and people going it cant last
I think it can last as long as you have players who can score. I mean that’s obvious and simple of course
But in reality the key change for us is the full backs and having at least one who will support attacks and add that extra man and extra dimension. Add in a fit and motivated bale and it’s a different side.
Ignore who the scorers are. Instead look at the quality of chances created. Over the long term if you create more good quality chances than the opposition then you will win more games. I think you are pinning everything on personnel changes, when the biggest change has actually been to our shape and tactics. We’re higher up the pitch (starting with the CBS) and now trying to win the ball back higher up the pitch.

Ignore who the scorers are. Instead look at the quality of chances created. Over the long term if you create more good quality chances than the opposition then you will win more games. I think you are pinning everything on personnel changes, when the biggest change has actually been to our shape and tactics. We’re higher up the pitch (starting with the CBS) and now trying to win the ball back higher up the pitch.
No I’m just highlighting people said you can’t sustain an attack with only two goal scorers
It was way too simplistic a view at the time
And we’re higher up the pitch with our full backs
I don’t believe out CBS are much higher at all than they were when we drew games we should have won
If your comparing to the games we lost I agree. But again I would argue that the impact of having your best available players fit will naturally have a huge impact on how you play

No I’m just highlighting people said you can’t sustain an attack with only two goal scorers
It was way too simplistic a view at the time
And we’re higher up the pitch with our full backs
I don’t believe out CBS are much higher at all than they were when we drew games we should have won
If your comparing to the games we lost I agree. But again I would argue that the impact of having your best available players fit will naturally have a huge impact on how you play
I think you are misinterpreting (perhaps deliberately?).... What was unsustainable was having only a single way to create chances.... Invite the opposition on, drop Kane into space centrally in our half, have him turn and feed Son. Teams started to get their central midfield player to stay close to Kane even when they were the team in possession and we had no other plan. Our CBS and CMs now look as though they are noticeably higher up by default in most games now than they were when we were defending the edge of our own area in those games we tried to hang on to.

Back