• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Kane MBE

I was thinking earlier, currently is Harry the best player in the World? I know its been Messi
And Ronaldo with a bit of Modders getting involved.

But I mean right now, is there anyone better?

Jose said he would make him the best player in the world......I think he pretty much is.

He’s fudging great, but best player in the world, he’s not even the best player at Spurs.

He's been doing those things for a while for sure. The frequency of those involvements this season has been different level.

Mostly down to style of play yes. Not sure the number of players we push forward is the only, or even main, factor. More the positions he's taking up.

The two are linked, Kane is seeing more of the ball in deeper final third positions because Eriksen and Alli aren't occupying those areas of the pitch and Lo Celso or Ndombele operate from deep. It's the same with Son, he hasn't become a better player over night he's just seeing more of the ball in and around the box because Kane is more withdrawn.

It's a testament to both players ability that they have increased their output along with the new roles which sees them take on more creative and goalscoring responsibilities individually.

As it becomes clearer to the opposition just how dangerous Kane is when he plays deep and they have to work out how best to counter this, I look forward to the first game when Jose switches it up and Kane plays as a focal point up front again and causes severe damage to their thinking and team set-up.

The two are linked, Kane is seeing more of the ball in deeper final third positions because Eriksen and Alli aren't occupying those areas of the pitch and Lo Celso or Ndombele operate from deep. It's the same with Son, he hasn't become a better player over night he's just seeing more of the ball in and around the box because Kane is more withdrawn.

It's a testament to both players ability that they have increased their output along with the new roles which sees them take on more creative and goalscoring responsibilities individually.
I think I might agree with you, but I don't quite understand...

You say we're attacking with fewer players, but I'm not sure I see it that way. We often had two deep midfielders mostly sitting in the past. "Front 4" of two wide players, Alli and Kane. Then the full backs to varying degrees. Now the wide players push further up with Kane and Ndombele getting a bit deeper.

Alli would quite often get beyond Kane. Eriksen would often start wide, but work in a similar space to where Ndombele is currently doing most of his work.

I think I might agree with you, but I don't quite understand...

You say we're attacking with fewer players, but I'm not sure I see it that way. We often had two deep midfielders mostly sitting in the past. "Front 4" of two wide players, Alli and Kane. Then the full backs to varying degrees. Now the wide players push further up with Kane and Ndombele getting a bit deeper.

Alli would quite often get beyond Kane. Eriksen would often start wide, but work in a similar space to where Ndombele is currently doing most of his work.

It's probably just my cack handed way of saying the two players have increased responsibilities in the new setup - they are our creative and goal scoring threats in the final third, whereas previously those responsibilities were spread around more players in the same areas - hence why the numbers for both are up.

I'm hoping that, just when teams are getting used to Kane dropping deep and playing quarterback, Jose changes it up again, plays N'dombele and Lo Celso together, and unleashes Harry to score a shedload. He's long overdue a hat trick or three!
As it becomes clearer to the opposition just how dangerous Kane is when he plays deep and they have to work out how best to counter this, I look forward to the first game when Jose switches it up and Kane plays as a focal point up front again and causes severe damage to their thinking and team set-up.
There seems to be an echo in here :wink:

It's probably just my cack handed way of saying the two players have increased responsibilities in the new setup - they are our creative and goal scoring threats in the final third, whereas previously those responsibilities were spread around more players in the same areas - hence why the numbers for both are up.
Like I thought, we agree.

The switch to Kane playing deeper and releasing Son to provide the deadly finish is working well against teams that attack us and leave space behind, but against teams that set up to park the bus against us it's an entirely different ball game. We've seen both Kane and Son getting choked out in these situations.

So what then should be the strategy?

The switch to Kane playing deeper and releasing Son to provide the deadly finish is working well against teams that attack us and leave space behind, but against teams that set up to park the bus against us it's an entirely different ball game. We've seen both Kane and Son getting choked out in these situations.

Add an extra midfielder and lose sissoko
We havent had Lo Celso fit to do that until very recently
Also need more form the 3rd forward which I think will happen once bale is match fit

That is in deed one of the next steps. Having built a solid foundation of good defending and spectacular counter attacking football can we find a way to consistently break down teams that sit deep and dig in?
Add an extra midfielder and lose sissoko
We havent had Lo Celso fit to do that until very recently
Also need more form the 3rd forward which I think will happen once bale is match fit
This for me would be the obvious answers.

Need more tempo and movement. Adding Lo Celso into the mix alongside Hojbjerg and Ndombele should do just that. Bale on top of that again.

Mourinho should be able to fashion a very good attacking set up out of that.

It's (to me at least) almost scary to think of the potential that's still not released in this bunch of players. Ndombele is still getting up to full fitness I think, only manages around an hour per game. Lo Celso had made relatively little impact on the league this season up until the goal yesterday. Bale just getting started. Bergwijn reportedly going through fitness issues.

Then the new players that have adapted quickly, but where some further improvement isn't unreasonable to expect. Hojbjerg, Reguilon, Doherty.

If we're a bit lucky with injuries the potential in this squad is immense.

I was thinking earlier, currently is Harry the best player in the World? I know its been Messi
And Ronaldo with a bit of Modders getting involved.

But I mean right now, is there anyone better?

Jose said he would make him the best player in the world......I think he pretty much is.
If he carries on like this then he’d smash the domestic goal involvements record and be hitting something like Messi numbers. I think Henry had a 20/20 season and there’s been a few 40 odds with goals being the bigger split in the Prem but Messi had something ridiculous like 70/20 in 60 games one year. Of course there’s always the fear of an injury disrupting his rhythm and the balloon d’or will lean towards CL or international achievement. For his all round contribution I wouldn’t swap him for anyone else.

Said it in the match thread but jesus was/is crap.

The issue for city's attack that game was the supply line, Mahrez and B. Silva were useless. I'd be wary of calling Brazil's no. 9 crap!

Edit - Obligatory compliment re Kane to make it relevent: Kane is a fudging monster. Fine fettle doesn't quite cut it for the way he's moving around the pitch reading the game, it's glorious to watch.

Last edited:
The issue for city's attack that game was the supply line, Mahrez and B. Silva were useless. I'd be wary of calling Brazil's no. 9 crap!

Edit - Obligatory compliment re Kane to make it relevent: Kane is a fudging monster. Fine fettle doesn't quite cut it for the way he's moving around the pitch reading the game, it's glorious to watch.
Jesus is a huge drop off from Augero. A couple of times in the box he took 4 or 5 touches to control, with Augero it would be one touch and a shot 90% of the time in that situation

Back