1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

Harry Kane MBE

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by thfcsteff, 29 Jan 2013.

1. glorygloryeze

glorygloryeze Paul Robinson

Absolutely NOT trolling Steff, i think you should know me and my posting better than that!

I was going to leave it, but perhaps it's better i reply now and not when we are in a 'bad moment' as Poch might say which REALLY would make me look like a knee-jerker (even more than you might atm lol).
    I recognise my view on this may be contraversial but here goes:

- Poch has worked very hard to get the club to work and move as a TEAM; when one single player at this juncture of the season talks about us "needing to get over the line" that in itself on the surface is fine, but can also by implication be saying "i care, perhaps others don't"...not sure if this is good for morale as i don't believe at this time we are not getting over the line because "some care more than others"; Last to seasons i could accept that maybe 'not getting over the line' was a mental issue given the quality at our disposal, but not now. Not sure it's great/necessary for team morale at the moment

- I would normally be very happy for Poch to call out our meteorology as he is more 'neutral' on it compared to one player doing it amongst the group; however, just coming after a few weeks of saying that half of the honours that are potentially available to us are not important and 'just inflate our ego' does not sit well with me: you can prioritise for sure but you also cannot turn 'meteorology'/'ambition' etc on and off like a light switch like that. Again, it comes off a little bit trying to distance onself from the failures to 'get over the line'. If he hadn't poo-pooed the cups, then i'd be bang on with him. Put it this way, SAF, Pep or any of the most driven managers we've seen over our times watching football would prioritise as they see fit but would NEVER openly downgrade honours like that as they know that going for all/any of these takes full-on mental ambition AT ALL TIMES: holding ones nerve in a cup final/semi-final is the same as holding your nerve in a title race etc.

As i say, i think some of the comments would have been better coming at any time in the last two seasons when i REALLY think there were meteorology questions and not neccerily now (at least not until very near the end of the season) as i honestly think this squad is sqeezing every last fibre from itself. I'm always happy for oyur squad/club to be challenged to push on (like Poch did to the board last year a few times) but i also fear there is a bit of 'not my fault guv' going which could threaten the great but delicate team ethic we have taken effort and time to build up; it is our USP over other clubs after all.

Anyway, happy to revisit this at the end of the season and i'd be more than happy as @DevonSpur suggests that they are in a position to tell ME to STFU lol

Regardless, back to praising Kane the 'mediocre 5 season wonder' :p

COYS

2. harr1984

harr1984 Paul Stalteri

Again, this is his very point though. You claim this, yet you go on any other teams' forums they will say they are on the end of worse stuff - whether it be other players cheating/diving, refereeing decisions, how lucky a team are etc etc Its the same for every team and you cant confidently say we get it much worse in any aspect unless you watch every other team in the league with the same amount of focus as you do Spurs. No fan does that which is why they always end up claiming their team is worse off.....

3. nayimfromthehalfwayline

nayimfromthehalfwayline Les Ferdinand

So I should dismiss any opinion you ever have because you arent fully clued up? Come on.

I watch Spurs more than enough to know we arent a dirty team.

I also watch Spurs more than enough to know that many of the teams we play are far dirtier than us.

Its not rocket science, and its not bias either.

Aside from which Ive watched plenty of games outside of Spurs to see teams getting shat on, being dirty, being unlucky etc.

I am at no point saying we are a special case. What I am saying is those "other fans" who are convinced we are a really dirty team are wrong.

4. harr1984

harr1984 Paul Stalteri

Nope, Im just talking about your bias argument that you first responded to - Every teams fans are biased in terms of thinking they get the raw deal of things due to seeing more of their own teams situations than others, even if avid followers of football in general. Us being dirty? There are plenty of bad challenges we have got away with this season, that of course are never bought up beyond the match, yet for every Xhaka type challenge that isnt punished it shall be mentioned for weeks on end like the world is against us. I'd say we were pretty naughty and certainly no more angelic than any of the other top teams - It's the poorer teams that you find to be the most dirty.....

5. nayimfromthehalfwayline

Which, if you were paying attention, you evidence perfectly.

"Oh youre biased so you cant be objective".

Which I think is gonad*s. And just a rather lazy and weak way to dismiss a point of view.

Also, you should note I have never said we are angelic. Never discounted or denied naughtiness we have done. Never tried to whitewash any of it, in fact.

Simply pointed out the degrees to which these things happen - and there are much worse offenders out there than us.

6. harr1984

harr1984 Paul Stalteri

Well if you can explain to me how you can be objective whilst being biased then I'll agree. Im assuming you see a hell of a lot more minutes of football watching Spurs than you do anyone else. So you'll be able to evidence a hell of a lot more for any argument for Spurs than you can for any club. Therefore you are biased (and rightly so). And its the same for any club, its just the way it works and why in reality as a football fan you are always biased to a certain degree and not completely objective even if you like to think you are. If you dont agree fine, but for me that's just how it is.....

7. Finney Is Back

Finney Is Back Chris Armstrong

We are just as dirty as any of the other big teams in England IMO. No more but also no less.

glorygloryeze likes this.
  8. DeanoAustin

DeanoAustin Steve Hodge

Would agree with that. Vertonghen is filthy and he's not averse to going down if it suits, Rose can be tough, Lamela can be nasty, Dier is hard while Dele and Kane go down very easily.

Every team has players like that.

9. nayimfromthehalfwayline

And there you go again. You assume bias on my part, and discredit my view without even entertaining it.

Look at what you are saying - you know my mind better than I do.

Youll need to forgive me for finding that quite insulting.

I am perfectly capable of being a fan of something without being a blithering idiot who cant see it for what it is.

10. r-u-s-x

r-u-s-x Roman Pavlyuchenko

in the 6 good teams we are there or there abouts and they will get the same treatment - the other teams are always going to be more physical as they will lack skill.

11. LemonadeMoney

LemonadeMoney Nick Barmby

No way do we dive as much as Salah, or play as dirty as Milner and Mane.

12. thfcsteff

thfcsteff Colin Calderwood Staff Member

Appreciate the response mate. I think we passed the last sentence position a while ago now. He knows EXACTLY what is needed. He is very careful with his words. And I believe he DID make sure that the dressing room knows there is no margin or they will be gone. We are on the cusp of true greatness; he needs to be sure everyone is in for the full ride. I would suggest that last night we saw that most of them are.

As for this “cups” thing, sorry, he said that the trophies which are massive are the PL and CL and that the other two will not advance the club. He is absolutely right. I am sure he wants to win them, but given the situation and his “squad squeezing” he had to prioritize. Let me offer a final thought; we will make far more money with top 4 and lst 8 of CL than crashing out of CL and winning a League or FA Cups. Which this summer is vital in terms of budget and cache to get a couple of excellent players in. When the likes of DeLigt have a choice to make, the League Cup won’t sway him but consistent CL/high placement, is massive.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

13. glorygloryeze

glorygloryeze Paul Robinson

Appreciate the response too @thfcsteff
    I'm mostly in agreement tbf

thfcsteff likes this.
  14. nayimfromthehalfwayline

https://www.totalsportek.com/money/uefa-champions-league-prize-money/

2017/18 final, short version - Liverpool should have got €83m for coming runners up. Madrid got €91m for winning.

2017/18 FA Cup winners:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017–18_FA_Cup

In the final £1.8m (900k to losing finalist) - and I think £3.4m over all.

2017/18 League Cup winners:
    https://metro.co.uk/2018/02/25/prize-money-2017-18-league-cup-7340736/

What is the prize money for the League Cup this season? The winners of Sunday’s final will claim £100,000, whilst the runners-up will take away £50,000.
    Right up until the semi-finals of the competition there is no prize money on offer at all, then the two losing semi-finalists win £25,000 each.

15. parklane1

parklane1 Luka Modric

Having watched us for over 50 years i wish i had a pound for every Spurs fan who protests that all sides are dirty and we are not. I have never known a fan of a rival club who does not think their side is treated unfairly by refs etc and we are no different.

harr1984 likes this.
  16. Bullet

Bullet Chris Perry

So in rounded figures, for winning:

The CL is worth £80m
    The FA Cup is worth £2m
    The Carabao is worth £0m

This is why we prioritise. We don't have a dodgy Arab/Russian oligarch.

thfcsteff, Robbo, SteveAWOL and 4 others like this.
  17. StephenH

StephenH Jack Jull

I think this is what they call a ‘no brainer’?

thfcsteff, galeforce and harr1984 like this.
  18. nayimfromthehalfwayline

I stand to be corrected, hence putting up the sources - but yes, it looks that way.

So the domestic cups really do amount to a jolly day out, and thats it. The CL is a genuine game changer, particlularly for a club like ours.

As much as it might upset the purists, simply hitting the CL group is more valuable than an FA cup win.

thfcsteff and galeforce like this.
  19. spurspinter1

spurspinter1 Teemu Tainio

If it had some sort of valid point to it, and was in an vaguely appropriate thread, I'd have to agree.

thfcsteff likes this.
  20. Parklaner81

Parklaner81 Anthony Gardner

We used to be a very fair team. I remember when Zokora came in and started diving, it was totally and I mean totally out of place in our team at the time, though was already commonplace in many opponents.

It probably did us no favours mind. And times have certainly changed in any case.

21. DeanoAustin

DeanoAustin Steve Hodge

Yeah remember one from Zokora against Portsmouth I think and there was an outcry amongst our fans.