1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

Grealish

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by harr1984, 26 May 2018.

1. scaramanga

scaramanga Tommy Harmer Staff Member

I think those players have often had to fill in for the lack of possession Dembele leaving has caused - so yes, he will be doing the role they've often had to.

I think the question with Grealish is a difference of backup Vs first team. Is he good enough to be a squad player? Would I prefer to bring him on over Sissoko? Is he a better use of a squad place than N'Koudou? The answer to all of those is yes.

If the question is whether I'd be happy having him start in Eriksen's position then the answer is No. Noatter who else we buy.

2. Gutter Boy

Gutter Boy Tim Sherwood

I'd be on board with signing Grealish if the fee was reasonable (£15m tops). It's the English premium and his media profile increasing that threefold that's the killer

3. braineclipse

braineclipse Andy Thompson

I agree that I would be underwhelmed if we end up with a plan of Grealish directly replacing Eriksen in our team. As part of a plan to build a very good team with or without Eriksen he might be a good signing. If he has the right attributes and potential.

My point is that we should look beyond directly replacing Eriksen. I don't know if a good enough direct replacement exists that we could sign, but I doubt it. If Eriksen leaves the question should be how do we build the best possible team and squad without him, not how do we directly replace Eriksen.
    If he has the potential to become a top player for us he's worth a lot more than that. If he doesn't have that potential I see no point in signing him at any fee as having a player develop in that role would be a lot more valuable long term than a squad player without that potential.

It all comes down to how our staff rates him. The reported long standing interest points towards them seeing something in him that makes him an exciting target.

4. Gutter Boy

Gutter Boy Tim Sherwood

Sometimes you just need a 6th choice AM. Like we bought Gazzaniga as a 3rd GK. If Nkoudou, Edwards and Shashoua aren't up to it, that's why we go after a Grealish type. Ideally though Sessegnon will fill that role while he develops into a LB

5. Gazza

Gazza Milija Aleksic

Not for 40 mil and not someone that would expect to be playing more times than not

6. Gutter Boy

Gutter Boy Tim Sherwood

Then he's the wrong player to be looking at. We perhaps need a younger/lower profile but higher ceiling equivalent

7. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Gudni Bergsson

^ Brooks

8. nayenezgani

nayenezgani Milija Aleksic

Brooks is higher profile than Grealish. He's actually cut the mustard at premier level for starters.

He's also two years younger and would likely cost even more. He's a signing I'd be happy with mind you, still not a replacement for Eriksen though.

stinkfoot likes this.
  9. Legohamster

Legohamster Vedran Corluka

Commentators already going overboard with Grealish in the PO final.

10. Kandi1977

Kandi1977 Paul Walsh

And who would that be? I'd say there are only maybe a handful that are as good as Eriksen, and the only ones I can think of are Silva (both of them), Dybala and Isco.

K.D.D.D.D.Soc likes this.
  11. AdamB

AdamB Cecil Poynton

Dybala is a class act but quite a different player to Eriksen in terms of playing style

12. El Guepardo

El Guepardo Steffen Iversen

Demirbay could be an outside name. He’s not really in the Eriksen bracket yet, but could have been a reasonably priced signing who can play that role. He has 9 assists for the season in 26 matches. He creates chances every match and has had an excellent season for Hoffenheim. Shame then that he’s moving to Leverkusen in the summer for about £32m. That said, perhaps he needs to prove that this season wasn’t a one off and to show it regularly especially at his age of 25.

13. K.D.D.D.D.Soc

K.D.D.D.D.Soc Vedran Corluka

Absolutely right there aren't many as good as Eriksen, that's why top clubs want him. He's had a below par season for his standard and that reflexed in the teams performances, but apart from Silva there's no other player I would have, oh De bruyen.

14. Gutter Boy

Gutter Boy Tim Sherwood

McGinn was better again

15. Legohamster

Legohamster Vedran Corluka

Much better, ran the show.

I thought Grealish looked a bit lazy.

16. monkeybarry

monkeybarry Dean Richards

He is.
    That said, the same was said about Eriksen.
    If we see grealish as future Eriksen (I don't), buying now and moulding him for one or two years time is the way to go.
    He's 23, the right age for that.
    Very few players can step into our first system and meteorology, they need Poch'ing

17. markysimmo

markysimmo Johnny nice-tits

Everytime I see him I think what a player

Gutter Boy and yiddo37 like this.
  18. Gazza

Gazza Milija Aleksic

Nothing about him reminds me of Eriksen ... he doesn't have his ability. Don't buy the media hype.

scaramanga likes this.
  19. Grays_1890

Grays_1890 Gerry Armstrong

Grealish is a HUGE talent but he is not Eriksen.

If Poch got him and gave him direction we would have a MASSIVE player

20. Cochise

Cochise Michael Carrick

Not too bothered that he's now going to be off the market.

Kandi1977 likes this.