• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Grealish

If we are bidding 15mil then that sounds to me like a bit of an oppurtunist move by Levy. 15mil is not chump change by any means but it is below what you would expect to pay for hyped up English talent.

If we are bidding 15mil then that sounds to me like a bit of an oppurtunist move by Levy. 15mil is not chump change by any means but it is below what you would expect to pay for hyped up English talent.

Jadon Sancho moved for £8m last summer, and he's much more highly rated

Jadon Sancho moved for £8m last summer, and he's much more highly rated
By some, but he really was just an academy player and not playing week in week out like Grealish, which has to count for something.

I don't really fancy Grealish but 15mil sounds like a deal that could be financially beneficial to Spurs if nothing else.

I can accept £15m because I think we can get £20m next year when we sell him, so after wages and stuff it is a net zero gamble, that I don't think will pay off.
I think Poch will suss him out to be a bit Wheelchair, off the pitch.

Similarly I am happy for Spurs to spend £50m or £100m on anyone, as long as we are pretty confident about getting £10m more when we move them on.

People see the FEE as being important, but it is the NET FEE that is important i.e. purchase price minus selling price in 2 years.

Don't focus on the FEE, it is the NET FEE that matters.

And wages... wages are the real killer because they are straight out the door, never recouped.

I can accept £15m because I think we can get £20m next year when we sell him, so after wages and stuff it is a net zero gamble, that I don't think will pay off.
I think Poch will suss him out to be a bit Wheelchair, off the pitch.

Similarly I am happy for Spurs to spend £50m or £100m on anyone, as long as we are pretty confident about getting £10m more when we move them on.

People see the FEE as being important, but it is the NET FEE that is important i.e. purchase price minus selling price in 2 years.

Don't focus on the FEE, it is the NET FEE that matters.

And wages... wages are the real killer because they are straight out the door, never recouped.

This is the mentality we need to move on from now, if we want to achieve big big things.

This is the mentality we need to move on from now, if we want to achieve big big things.

I disagree. Few players spend their whole career with a club and it would probably not good for us if they did. Freshening things up is important and as long as you replace quality with quality, it shouldn't matter.

I disagree. Few players spend their whole career with a club and it would probably not good for us if they did. Freshening things up is important and as long as you replace quality with quality, it shouldn't matter.
You are right but I think what hes saying is slightly different,even though your point is relevant - that we should be worrying about signing players for their quality, not just signing players because they are a good deal money wise that we believe can sell on at a profit. Obviously selling players on at a profit is beneficial, but we should be looking at signing more established top players to supplement the younger players. Such a player is likely to be 25-28 and once we sell them would be worth less when we end up selling them but that shouldnt detract us if we want to push on...

You are right but I think what hes saying is slightly different,even though your point is relevant - that we should be worrying about signing players for their quality, not just signing players because they are a good deal money wise that we believe can sell on at a profit. Obviously selling players on at a profit is beneficial, but we should be looking at signing more established top players to supplement the younger players. Such a player is likely to be 25-28 and once we sell them would be worth less when we end up selling them but that shouldnt detract us if we want to push on...

I disagree with that as well. The young players that we signed four/five years ago are now that age. Our business model relies on us buying and developing players, then selling them at a profit to reinvest in the next batch. That model has seen the club consistently improve for over a decade now and I think that it would be a mistake to depart from it. We are not going to become Manchester United or Real Madrid however much @AjaxDeSuperYids wants us to be. We need to live with reality.

I disagree with that as well. The young players that we signed four/five years ago are now that age. Our business model relies on us buying and developing players, then selling them at a profit to reinvest in the next batch. That model has seen the club consistently improve for over a decade now and I think that it would be a mistake to depart from it. We are not going to become Manchester United or Real Madrid however much @AjaxDeSuperYids wants us to be. We need to live with reality.
We dont need to depart from that model altogether, but should be more flexible with it. Poch wants to challenge for titles, and our current model has got us punching above our weight - but the hardest thing to do is actually win things. If we'd had that little sprinkle of a superstar or two we would have done that already whether it be last season or the season before. We are now in a position where we have a new stadium and consistent CL status which means our income is so much greater than before. Already we have massively broken our wage structure for Kane and no doubt more to follow. It shouldnt be beyond our scope that at some point soon we can realistically afford to add an established player or two of real quality to supplement the young players should it?

We dont need to depart from that model altogether, but should be more flexible with it. Poch wants to challenge for titles, and our current model has got us punching above our weight - but the hardest thing to do is actually win things. If we'd had that little sprinkle of a superstar or two we would have done that already whether it be last season or the season before. We are now in a position where we have a new stadium and consistent CL status which means our income is so much greater than before. Already we have massively broken our wage structure for Kane and no doubt more to follow. It shouldnt be beyond our scope that at some point soon we can realistically afford to add an established player or two of real quality to supplement the young players should it?

If the right player is available at the right price, of course. We have always had space to do that within the model.

I think Harry will be the exception to the rule with his massive contract. Other players like Dele, Verts and Eriksen will get big increases in salary but id be surprised if any of them will earn more than let's say 130-140k a week.

So we will still be restricted with who we can buy because top players will want Harry Kane level salaries, if not more.

If the right player is available at the right price, of course. We have always had space to do that within the model.
Have we? Not saying youre wrong by any stretch, but Ive always got the impression we havent been able to afford such players. Or is it just more you think we can afford the transfer fee but not the wages?

I think Harry will be the exception to the rule with his massive contract. Other players like Dele, Verts and Eriksen will get big increases in salary but id be surprised if any of them will earn more than let's say 130-140k a week.

So we will still be restricted with who we can buy because top players will want Harry Kane level salaries, if not more.
Well lets see, at this stage its all speculation. I certainly wouldnt be surprised to see Eriksen earning not far off what Kane does - hes arguably our best player. Will be interesting to see how the wage structure pans out....

Have we? Not saying youre wrong by any stretch, but Ive always got the impression we havent been able to afford such players. Or is it just more you think we can afford the transfer fee but not the wages?

I think the only players that we have signed under Levy that have gone against the model are Davids and VDV. Top players, big wages at the time and so different compared to what we had.

You are right but I think what hes saying is slightly different,even though your point is relevant - that we should be worrying about signing players for their quality, not just signing players because they are a good deal money wise that we believe can sell on at a profit. Obviously selling players on at a profit is beneficial.
No, that isn't what I meant at all.
What I meant was... people get hung up on our biggest ever signing being £45m or whatever, but that initial fee doesn't matter.
Levy should be brave to spend £100m (more than double our record) IF we feel we will get more money in 2 or 3 years.

I.e. people worry if we can spend £20m or £30m but we shouldn't worry... we can spend WAY more than that, because transfer prices are going up up up so we are very likely to see a profit if we spend big money ON THE RIGHT PLAYER.

What I meant was... people get hung up on our biggest ever signing being £45m or whatever, but that initial fee doesn't matter.
Levy should be brave to spend £100m (more than double our record) IF we feel we will get more money in 2 or 3 years.

I.e. people worry if we can spend £20m or £30m but we shouldn't worry... we can spend WAY more than that, because transfer prices are going up up up so we are very likely to see a profit if we spend big money ON THE RIGHT PLAYER.
You sound a lot like people in the US did 10 years ago when they were buying brickhole houses in brickhole areas and filling them with granite work surfaces.

Yep totally agree also think the is value in the championship but we waited to long with sessegnon and possible Maddison. But those sort of signings along with Alderwield, verts and eriksen are our good ones. Talented players with potential to go to the next level.

It is to risky to spend so much on one player, they could end up being a donkey. I like that we spend within our means, I do worry about clubs and indeed countries that think you can just spend whatever without any issues.

Yep totally agree also think the is value in the championship but we waited to long with sessegnon and possible Maddison. But those sort of signings along with Alderwield, verts and eriksen are our good ones. Talented players with potential to go to the next level.

I really like the look of Maddison and think that he looks a better prospect that Grealish. Grealish at half the price looks better value though.

Back