• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Gooner friends?

Daisuk

Les Medley
Came to think of it. Throughout my life, I think I've only really had one good friend who's been an arsenal fan. Plenty of people in my extended circle of friends or whatever are gooners, but we've just never really gelled. They're typically the guys I bash every time we brick on them, but whenever I hang out with them, it's always through someone else. I wonder if it's because I'm just naturally biased against anyone who says he's a gooner, and vice versa. I've obviously had, and have, lots of yids as friends, primarily through the common interest in Spurs, but we also meet and hang out even when spurs aren't involved.

Anyways, what are your yid to gooner friend ratio?

Pretty low, and the back and forth between us is far more respectful than with my friends who support West Ham or the dippers.

Of course, growing up in Essex in the 80’s, every fudger supported Liverpool.

I've got loads of Gooner mates, I work with loads of the fudgers too. I'm quite enjoying giving them advice on supporting a mid-table side and asking them where the teams they are playing in the Europa League are from.

I've got loads of Gooner mates, I work with loads of the fudgers too. I'm quite enjoying giving them advice on supporting a mid-table side and asking them where the teams they are playing in the Europa League are from.

Problems of working at the Guardian I guess.

Is funny how many Arsenal fans are cnuts. Goes hand in hand with the team I guess.

I know west ham and Chelsea fans who actually nice people. Not one Arsenal fan though.

Came to think of it. Throughout my life, I think I've only really had one good friend who's been an arsenal fan. Plenty of people in my extended circle of friends or whatever are gooners, but we've just never really gelled. They're typically the guys I bash every time we brick on them, but whenever I hang out with them, it's always through someone else. I wonder if it's because I'm just naturally biased against anyone who says he's a gooner, and vice versa. I've obviously had, and have, lots of yids as friends, primarily through the common interest in Spurs, but we also meet and hang out even when spurs aren't involved.

Anyways, what are your yid to gooner friend ratio?

About 50/50. And as we grew up together there was never really any stick either, save for derby days.

I have a strangely ambivalent relationship with Arsenal/Arsenal fans in the main.

Chelsea and West Ham fans have always been, for me, utter scum. Arsenal? Just kind of beige.

Arsenal and Spurs were the two best supported clubs where i grew up and i have had a couple of Gooner mates at various points but are no nore than casual acquaintances these days.

Only ever met a handful of Chelsea or West Ham fans - many more Palace/Millwall in South East London

It's interesting to hear that quite a few of you have such civil relationships with them. Judging from the hatred between fans online you'd imagine there'd be more ill will, but you know, 99% is obviously just banter one way or the other (as in, I hope few of you would really harm anyone just because they're a goon, for instance). Kind of hard to gauge the rivalry/hatred from another country. I stayed at a friend's house in Islington before a match a few years back, and my mate and I got quite a few comments for wearing our spurs jerseys in the streets there. No fighting though. :p

I once had a colleague who basically attacked me when I met him coming from the pub when scum lost to barca in the CL final. Can't really blame him, and no real punches were thrown (just a bit of frustration getting out) . :p

I've shared four Toronto FC season tickets with a gooner for the past six seasons. Previous partner was a snotty AC Milan fan who sniffed at MLS play (he wasn't wrong back then) and abandoned his two seats to me at the last moment of renewals. I stuck it out and, via my wife's work, ended up sharing them with the Arsenal fan, who got to enjoy seeing TFC win the MLS Cup at home last season.

Not a bad guy, mostly good company and loves football in general. Amazing to see how pumped he was when his club were doing well, how eager he was to hammer Spurs when we weren't doing well. Now, he professes to hardly follow his club and backs out of any detailed conversation about the current circumstances of Spurs and Arsenal. But he does give Spurs praise, something I'd never do for Arsenal.

His son says he's a Chelsea fan, but has no clue about who is on the team or how they're actually doing. Which totally figures.

None that I can remember really, which, having grown up in Tottenham might sound quite odd. Mind you, many of my mates were much more interested in music than football. A couple of work colleagues in more recent years, one of whom is no longer with us. I used to say I'd never met an Arse fan I liked, but I can't make that claim any more having been acquainted with BG (RIP).

I never did, and as a younger man wouldn't of dreamed of having Gooners as mates. However I have mellowed with age and now have two Goon friends. Its been great fun watching their reaction these past few years I must say.

It's interesting to hear that quite a few of you have such civil relationships with them. Judging from the hatred between fans online you'd imagine there'd be more ill will, but you know, 99% is obviously just banter one way or the other (as in, I hope few of you would really harm anyone just because they're a goon, for instance). Kind of hard to gauge the rivalry/hatred from another country. I stayed at a friend's house in Islington before a match a few years back, and my mate and I got quite a few comments for wearing our spurs jerseys in the streets there. No fighting though. :p

I once had a colleague who basically attacked me when I met him coming from the pub when scum lost to barca in the CL final. Can't really blame him, and no real punches were thrown (just a bit of frustration getting out) . :p

Perhaps you weren't sufficiently sympathetic. You should have tried things like, " that was jolly good effort" "you should be proud that they came sooooo close" "better luck next time" "At least it was a night to remember the rest of your life" etc. I am sure this is what he was looking for. ;)

I do have a friend who is an arse fan and I get on fine with him. There isn't much banter either way (though he did send me a GIF of Flamini's League Cup winner once) and I don't see him as much as I used to, but I still consider him a friend.

I have several friends that are gooners. One in particular, we use to go running together, while talking football. He's a die hard gooner and Wenger fan, and is still mourning Wengers departure. But he's also just a major fan of football, and loves London in general. He is genuinely impressed by Spurs, and loves the way the club is run, and how Levy has gradually improved every aspect of the club. We've been to many games together, the best one perhaps the 4-4 at the Emirates in 2008. We were in an vip lounge, and I was (obviously) the only Spurs fan there. I couldn't help it and celebrated wildly when Lennon scored the equalizer deep into injury time. He had to protect me from the other gooners there :D

Back