• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Golf Thread

And GHod forbid that top level sport where you earn millions should be hard work and take sacrifices, I mean for the players to use the fact its hard work on the PGA to earn money as an excuse is just laughable. Players like Martin Laird are worth 20m and he has won twice so yes its hard but its not THAT Hard to be rich and have a nice life if you are ok at it.

I don't have that much of a problem with the players earning fortunes, but i do have a big issue at the prices the average golfer is being asked to pay to help fund it.
Equipment prices are ridiculous.
To replace my kit, all either titleist or taylor made would cost my over double what i paid for it less than 10 tears ago.
R&A rules means there had been little meaningful improvements, and yet every year we are encouraged to replace our kit.
I'm old enough to remember the last greed induced slump in golf, and the next one is going to be bigger and deeper.
I for one can't wait.

I don't have that much of a problem with the players earning fortunes, but i do have a big issue at the prices the average golfer is being asked to pay to help fund it.
To replace my kit, all either titleist or taylor made would cost my over double what i paid for it less than 10 tears ago.
R&A rules means there had been little meaningful improvements, and yet every year we are encouraged to replace our kit.
I'm old enough to remember the last greed induced slump in golf, and the next one is going to be bigger and deeper.
I for one can't wait.

Thats also a good point and its only gonna get worse with these billion pound sponsorships from Nike and Adidas being touted

Always remember that it's the carpenter, not the tools. Want to improve? Hit the driving range and practice til it hurts.

I can still crack 90 in my '60s swinging an older set of Wilson Staff conventional cast irons and persimmon woods (like Tiger, I enjoy the longer contact time the ball has on the club face :)).

Mind you, I've played since I was a young lad and hung around good courses working as a caddie and, later, a greenskeeper. Lots of free golf back then to help my development, even if it was just the caddies flopping sand wedge shots over hedges for tuppenny wagers.

Just played my usual course
Was level through 12 but ended up +7 including dropping 5 shots in the last 3 holes, so annoying

Rory McIlroy says competing against LIV Golf players at the upcoming BMW PGA Championship will be "hard for me to stomach".

On Sunday, McIlroy became the first player to win the FedEx Cup three times with victory in the Tour Championship.

The Northern Irishman - one of the Saudi-backed LIV Golf series' fiercest critics - reiterated his stance after claiming the PGA Tour's richest prize.

"I hate what it's doing to the game of golf," McIlroy said of LIV.

A number of high-profile players have left the established tours for the £1.6bn LIV Golf series which is holding eight invitational events in 2022 with a prize fund of £200m before turning into a league from next year.

Major winners Brooks Koepka, Phil Mickelson, Bryson DeChambeau and Dustin Johnson are among those to have joined, and the PGA Tour responded by indefinitely banning those players.

However, DP World Tour players who have joined the fledgling circuit will compete at the BMW PGA Championship at Wentworth after their suspensions were temporarily lifted in July.

Lee Westwood, Sergio Garcia, Graeme McDowell and Ian Poulter are among the LIV players expected to feature at the DP World Tour's flagship event from 8-11 September.

McIlroy added: "I hate it. I really do. It's going to be hard for me to stomach going to Wentworth in a couple of weeks' time and seeing 18 of them there. That just doesn't sit right with me.

"So yeah, I feel strongly. I believe what I'm saying are the right things and I think when you believe that what you're saying is the right thing, you're happy to stick your neck out on the line.

McIlroy captured his third FedEx Cup following a thrilling final-round duel with world number one Scottie Scheffler at East Lake in Atlanta.

Scheffler started the week with a six-shot advantage over the four-time major winner as players began the season-ending event on staggered scores, determined by their respective positions in the FedEx Cup standings.

McIlroy also started the final round six adrift of Masters winner Scheffler but carded a closing four-under 66 to beat the American and South Korea's Sungjae Im by one shot.

"Look, it's been a tumultuous time for the world of men's professional golf in particular," said McIlroy, 33.

"I've been right in the middle of it. I've picked a great time to go on the PGA Tour board.

"But yeah, I've been in the thick of things. I guess every chance I get, I'm trying to defend what I feel is the best place to play elite professional golf in the world.

"It's in some ways fitting that I was able to get this done today to sort of round off a year that has been very, very challenging and different."

McIlroy will follow his first BMW PGA Championship appearance since 2019 by making in his debut in the Italian Open at the end of September at Marco Simone Golf and Country Club, the venue for next year's Ryder Cup.

Rory McIlroy says competing against LIV Golf players at the upcoming BMW PGA Championship will be "hard for me to stomach".

On Sunday, McIlroy became the first player to win the FedEx Cup three times with victory in the Tour Championship.

The Northern Irishman - one of the Saudi-backed LIV Golf series' fiercest critics - reiterated his stance after claiming the PGA Tour's richest prize.

"I hate what it's doing to the game of golf," McIlroy said of LIV.

A number of high-profile players have left the established tours for the £1.6bn LIV Golf series which is holding eight invitational events in 2022 with a prize fund of £200m before turning into a league from next year.

Major winners Brooks Koepka, Phil Mickelson, Bryson DeChambeau and Dustin Johnson are among those to have joined, and the PGA Tour responded by indefinitely banning those players.

However, DP World Tour players who have joined the fledgling circuit will compete at the BMW PGA Championship at Wentworth after their suspensions were temporarily lifted in July.

Lee Westwood, Sergio Garcia, Graeme McDowell and Ian Poulter are among the LIV players expected to feature at the DP World Tour's flagship event from 8-11 September.

McIlroy added: "I hate it. I really do. It's going to be hard for me to stomach going to Wentworth in a couple of weeks' time and seeing 18 of them there. That just doesn't sit right with me.

"So yeah, I feel strongly. I believe what I'm saying are the right things and I think when you believe that what you're saying is the right thing, you're happy to stick your neck out on the line.

McIlroy captured his third FedEx Cup following a thrilling final-round duel with world number one Scottie Scheffler at East Lake in Atlanta.

Scheffler started the week with a six-shot advantage over the four-time major winner as players began the season-ending event on staggered scores, determined by their respective positions in the FedEx Cup standings.

McIlroy also started the final round six adrift of Masters winner Scheffler but carded a closing four-under 66 to beat the American and South Korea's Sungjae Im by one shot.

"Look, it's been a tumultuous time for the world of men's professional golf in particular," said McIlroy, 33.

"I've been right in the middle of it. I've picked a great time to go on the PGA Tour board.

"But yeah, I've been in the thick of things. I guess every chance I get, I'm trying to defend what I feel is the best place to play elite professional golf in the world.

"It's in some ways fitting that I was able to get this done today to sort of round off a year that has been very, very challenging and different."

McIlroy will follow his first BMW PGA Championship appearance since 2019 by making in his debut in the Italian Open at the end of September at Marco Simone Golf and Country Club, the venue for next year's Ryder Cup.

Shut up Rory.
You've just announced another money spinning venture for hard up pros who are winning millions, and its a lot further from golf than what you are deriding liv for, while normal people are struggling pay for tge essentials.
You've just won £35m for four rounds of golf you utter clam and your fudging moaning about your job be undermined.
Professional golf disgusts me now.

Shut up Rory.
You've just announced another money spinning venture for hard up pros who are winning millions, and its a lot further from golf than what you are deriding liv for, while normal people are struggling pay for tge essentials.
You've just won £35m for four rounds of golf you utter clam and your fudging moaning about your job be undermined.
Professional golf disgusts me now.

Rory irritates me, I remember him slamming golf being at the olympics as well then he went full circle for the next olympics.

He's forcing the PGAs hand, Open winner, excemption for the majors and the money he will get from LIV he can stick two fingers up to them, what can they offer?
Not a lot.
Professional golf needs to change, the PGA are resistant to change and as the big boys on the block don't like someone standing up to them.
I've absolutely no time for LIV, what they are doing, how they funding it or the style of their tournaments, but someone needs to shake the tree.

The my kids, my kids kids line just seems like a bunch of bull. I mean the guys already at 10m for winnings on the PGA, but yeh hardship for the future Varners
I guess it’s more to set his kids up for life and his grandkids? 10m career winnings is great obviously but he’s every right to enjoy some of that now and it’s maybe not multi generational type wealth the Liv’s offering.

I guess it’s more to set his kids up for life and his grandkids? 10m career winnings is great obviously but he’s every right to enjoy some of that now and it’s maybe not multi generational type wealth the Liv’s offering.

10m half way through your career does that and some lets not kid ourselves here

10m half way through your career does that and some lets not kid ourselves here
Depends what lifestyle he’d like to lead I guess. The 10m is gross obviously, that gets well taxed in the US, he still has to pay expenses, travel, hotel, caddy % of winnings, etc.

If he lives a humble life then absolutely yes. Like I said though he’s every right to enjoy some of his wealth now, cars, houses, etc.

Is it enough, of course it is, but when it could so easily be more then what is enough? Let’s also not kid ourselves about how we’d all react in these situations. I don’t know what I’d do, but I certainly wouldn’t assume it’s an easy decision with the numbers being thrown around.

Last edited:
Back