• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Golf Thread

if you have good equipment of a reasonable age, imho you would be better spending couple 00 quid on lessons at the start of every season than 500 on a new driver.
100% agree with that
So many of my pals have been playing for 18 months now, have had no lessons even on fundamentals and are moaning that they haven't improved one bit

100% agree with that
So many of my pals have been playing for 18 months now, have had no lessons even on fundamentals and are moaning that they haven't improved one bit
I always buy a package of lessons every year. I have about 6 or so lessons a year. Sometimes you need trained eyes to sort out the bad little habits you develop.

I had a 3 year layoff from golf . Dislocated my elbow and shattered my radial head. Don’t have complete range in my right elbow. My swing is more correct now than before injury. Just because of regular lessons.

Have a look for an M2, so many pro's still have them in their bag, still right up there with the stats too and not too lumpy

https://www.golfbidder.co.uk/models/6345/Taylor_Made_Driver_M2_2017.html?src=search

View attachment 13444

must admit to being reluctant to buy 2nd hand, but the prices now are just mad in my opinion.
always bought top stuff, but i don't play as much and not in comps anymore.
still love the playing the game, but all the stuff around it just annoy me now.

Rick Shiels who does very good unbiased reviews says it goes no further or is no more forgiving than the Sim 2 driver from 2021
Each time he tests a new driver e.g. when he tested the SIM2 itself, the improvement is extremely tiny, more to do with his swing, ball striking, confidence etc than the club.

Relating back to the theme of old clubs, here is Rick having a great time at St Andrews with some old 90s clubs bought from a charity shop in St Andrews.
Striping the knackered old driver over 300 yards.

Thanks Mark. Once again, a big name releases a new driver after 3 years of development work and... it is on average 5 yards longer, which (a) nobody would particularly notice (b) is a tiny increase compared to the variability of the average swing. E.g. I would always see a change of much more than 5 yards during a single round, as my swing varies.

Sounds like the F9 does the same job and is half the price https://www.golfbidder.co.uk/models/7004/Cobra_Driver_KING_F9_Speedback.html?src=search

Thanks Mark. Once again, a big name releases a new driver after 3 years of development work and... it is on average 5 yards longer, which (a) nobody would particularly notice (b) is a tiny increase compared to the variability of the average swing. E.g. I would always see a change of much more than 5 yards during a single round, as my swing varies.

Sounds like the F9 does the same job and is half the price https://www.golfbidder.co.uk/models/7004/Cobra_Driver_KING_F9_Speedback.html?src=search
As we know though millions will rush out and buy the 2022 drivers out straight away !!

£100 per extra yard.

Had a mini lesson yesterday as I wasn't hitting my driver much further than my 3 wood and wanted to know why

A simple set up change putting me more behind the ball, more tilt of my shoulders and that almost instantly got me hitting it 15-20 yards further and mainly carry too, added around 10 mph to my ball speed too and still pretty straight, was buzzing

My best drive went 275 with 110mph clubhead speed and 140mph ball speed, my best 3 wood was just over 250 (this is on a simulator with zero wind factor, etc)

I said to my coach what do I need to get to to be able to hit it 300 if at all, he said minimum 130 clubhead and 160 minimum ball speed, he reckons with some more technique tweaks (driving down into the ball more a la Rory when he drives it) and improving my core strength too it might be achievable (I start at the gym on Tuesday)

He for me is the best driver in golf

Had a mini lesson yesterday as I wasn't hitting my driver much further than my 3 wood and wanted to know why

A simple set up change putting me more behind the ball, more tilt of my shoulders and that almost instantly got me hitting it 15-20 yards further and mainly carry too, added around 10 mph to my ball speed too and still pretty straight, was buzzing

My best drive went 275 with 110mph clubhead speed and 140mph ball speed, my best 3 wood was just over 250 (this is on a simulator with zero wind factor, etc)

I said to my coach what do I need to get to to be able to hit it 300 if at all, he said minimum 130 clubhead and 160 minimum ball speed, he reckons with some more technique tweaks (driving down into the ball more a la Rory when he drives it) and improving my core strength too it might be achievable (I start at the gym on Tuesday)

He for me is the best driver in golf

So. Will you ever actually enjoy playing golf?

All that coaching, all that technique. And, if I'm the least bit assumptive, all that gear. You don't sound completely happy.

Yeah, I'm gonna do that uphill in driving snow, handful of gravel for lunch, home to a set of folded cardboard boxes bit of misery remembrances. But golf could make me happier than anything else in life.

We never had money to play golf. We only had desire. So we caddied huge heavy bags so we'd get access to the best course in the region. When the day was over, we'd get access to three practice holes and the course driving range to work on our game for free. When we weren't dodging - or shooting - rabid foxes, which showed up from time to time. We were fiercely competitive playing for pennies. From that experience, we learned how to hold our nerves in a demanding situation.

To be able to afford to play the game, we purloined old, discarded clubs from the clubhouse backshop. Used our own hands and tools to grind off imperfections and re-finish the surfaces on the club faces of what were once premium clubs. Went out on the course at sunset and dove for balls in the toxic water of the hazard ponds and filled bag after bag with retrieved premium balls that rich bastards hit in there without a second thought. Or a second glance.

Then took the resurrected clubs and retrieved balls - more precious than money to us - and went into a local city park where we set up a course in our minds - landing area off the tee to the left of that tree, approach shot to the right of that one, putting green in the area in front of a bush or crab apple tree. And we played seriously competitive games with one another. For what little money we had then. It got savage. There were heavy disputes and even fistfights.

A few times a year, we were invited to play on the course we caddied at late in the season. Blooody luuuxxxshhurrry. Seriously competitive - and that included playing for money against the assistant pros and senior greenskeeping staff, all of whom had better access and playing privileges than we had.

Just not the raw, gnawing hunger for the game. We beat them more often than not. Among the best days of my life.

All that coaching, all that technique. And, if I'm the least bit assumptive, all that gear. You don't sound completely happy.

Yeah, I'm gonna do that uphill in driving snow, handful of gravel for lunch, home to a set of folded cardboard boxes bit of misery remembrances. But golf could make me happier than anything else in life.

We never had money to play golf. We only had desire. So we caddied huge heavy bags so we'd get access to the best course in the region. When the day was over, we'd get access to three practice holes and the course driving range to work on our game for free. When we weren't dodging - or shooting - rabid foxes, which showed up from time to time. We were fiercely competitive playing for pennies. From that experience, we learned how to hold our nerves in a demanding situation.

To be able to afford to play the game, we purloined old, discarded clubs from the clubhouse backshop. Used our own hands and tools to grind off imperfections and re-finish the surfaces on the club faces of what were once premium clubs. Went out on the course at sunset and dove for balls in the toxic water of the hazard ponds and filled bag after bag with retrieved premium balls that rich bastards hit in there without a second thought. Or a second glance.

Then took the resurrected clubs and retrieved balls - more precious than money to us - and went into a local city park where we set up a course in our minds - landing area off the tee to the left of that tree, approach shot to the right of that one, putting green in the area in front of a bush or crab apple tree. And we played seriously competitive games with one another. For what little money we had then. It got savage. There were heavy disputes and even fistfights.

A few times a year, we were invited to play on the course we caddied at late in the season. Blooody luuuxxxshhurrry. Seriously competitive - and that included playing for money against the assistant pros and senior greenskeeping staff, all of whom had better access and playing privileges than we had.

Just not the raw, gnawing hunger for the game. We beat them more often than not. Among the best days of my life.
I love golf far more than I do watching Spurs currently
I just want to get better I have always had an aim to be a single figure golfer and will do what I can to be that

Love your experiences though, awesome

Not to those extremes but i was similar growing up and went on a similar journey for improvement to marky.
Ruined the game for me tbh, drained the fun from the game.
And in the end all i learned from it is the course always wins.

Back