• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Golf Thread

Byes2VDIUAArWKu.png:large

Ryder Cup: First tee at Gleneagles is pure theatre

Boo Weekley remembers being sick twice before his drive.

Lee Westwood's hands shook so much on his debut that he couldn't set up his tee. Sergio Garcia at Brookline was convinced he was going to miss the ball.

Three-time major champion Padraig Harrington said he couldn't even see his.

Welcome to the first tee on the first morning of the Ryder Cup, where strong men go weak and weak men drink strong.

An hour before sunrise, most of Perthshire still as dark as a cave, a weird, ghostly glow lights up one small circle of the Centenary course as a thousand mobile phones send texts and tweets: 'I'm here, I'm in, did you get your hip-flask through?'

Like impatient children on Christmas morning, the dawn risers are forced to wait. Slowly the rest of the scene emerges from the gloom.

A blue horseshoe of stands, autumn trees behind, a line of hospitality booze-barns moored along the fairway like cruise ships.

When you hear the tales of what this small stage can do to big names, you conjure up a bear-pit of fear and loathing, a torrent of chants and songs and abuse.

US captain Tom Watson had given his rookie pairing of Jordan Spieth and Patrick Reed a chill warning of what would await them. "I told them, 'I'm going to throw you in the ocean without a life preserver. You're on your own.'"

"I was a nervous wreck," admits Peter Baker, the Englishman who made his debut in the USA's last victory on European soil, 21 years ago.

"I live only 30 minutes away from the Belfry, so I knew the course inside out. But when I stood on the first tee and looked up I remember seeing a tree I'd never seen before. I thought, 'Who planted that tree overnight?'"

Europe captain Paul McGinley had even wanted this year's players to feel like gladiators emerging into the coliseum, sending them out through a low tunnel that leads from Gleneagles' driving range to the first tee.

The reality is somewhat more prosaic. While there is giddy excitement at the first sight of anyone in official garb, the mood is cheerful rather than fearful, polite rather than poisonous.

Starter Ivor Robson is given a standing ovation, to which he responds by waving his furled umbrella to all corners like a centurion at Lord's. As ring-walks go, it is hardly Ricky Hatton in Las Vegas.

If this is a bear-pit, it's one with a strict self-enforced dress-code where the bears shake hands and stay respectfully silent as their rival's claws go back.

Neither is it actually all that noisy. There are barbed songs ("10-6, and you still don't win,") and a little light joshing (each of Webb Simpson's practice swings are followed by massed shouts of "FORE!" - he promptly duffs his opening drive just past the ladies' tee), plus the celebrity presence on the US bench of their biggest sporting icon of the last 30 years, Michael Jordan.

But it is not the early morning beer garden that was Celtic Manor in Wales, when the songs were unrelenting, and it is not K Club in the Republic of Ireland, when recently bereaved Darren Clarke was roared onto the tee with the aural equivalent of a collective arm round the shoulder.

Jordan is such a regular at this event that his intimidatory airness has long since dissipated. He owns more free Ryder Cup jackets than he does NBA championship rings.

Bubba Watson exhorts the crowd to holler through his backswing, just as he did at Medinah two years ago. The carefully rehearsed chamber singers in the stand respond with a burst of 'Kaymer Chameleon' when the man who sunk the winning putt later that weekend steps up.

Yet even when the gloves are off the players put them back on. Justin Rose emerges with a pair of mitts so robust they look like he has been interrupted removing a leg of lamb from the oven. Phil Mickelson sports the sort of thick black gauntlets that Toad of Toad Hall would pull on for a spin in his charabanc.

The temporary stands here only hold 3,000. That is nothing compared to the 80,000 who roared Jessica Ennis to her blocks for her 100m hurdles heat at the London Olympics, or the 100,000 fans who pour abuse on opposition batsmen when they emerge on Boxing Day at the Melbourne Cricket Ground to perform similarly complex technical skills.

It cannot compare with the intimidation experienced by an England fly-half lining up three points in a Six Nations decider at the Millennium Stadium, or the wall of noise that greets the Detroit Lions when they walk out at Green Bay.

But this is the closest golf gets. For two years these men play in deferential silence and chaste applause. Like nuns in a nightclub they are then released into an alien environment where the normal rules go up in smoke.

Even if you can ride out the merry bedlam, you then have to deal with the deathly hush that follows.

"The silence levels on the first tee in Medinah shocked me," recalls Graeme McDowell, who has admitted he felt more nervous on the tee at Celtic Manor in 2010 than he did at the birth of his first child.

"I remember putting the tee in the ground, the whole place going deathly silent and standing over the tee shot thinking to myself, 'This is just the most bizarre feeling I've ever had in my life'.

And you have to remember how it used to be. When Watson made his Ryder Cup debut in 1977 there weren't even any grandstands. There was no need. The small number of spectators who bothered turning up could easily be contained by a simple gallery rope.

"The electricity you get from the crowd is something which is the biggest adrenaline rush you could ever possibly have," says Ian Poulter, who was serenaded on Friday morning by "Walking in a Poulter Wonderland".

"You don't need to control it. You've been waiting for it for a long time, so you just need to grab hold of it and let it go."

Sir Nick Faldo has criticised Sergio Garcia's "useless" contribution to Europe's 2008 Ryder Cup humiliation by the United States, claiming the Spaniard had a "bad attitude" at the tournament.

The only European captain to lose the prestigious team event this millennium, Faldo made the accusations following Garcia's opening fourballs defeat with partner Rory McIlroy at this year's event.

Faldo accused Garcia of failing him four years ago as the United States cruised to a 16.5-11.5 victory at Valhalla. While praising Garcia's overall Ryder Cup record, Faldo said of his 2008 efforts: "He was useless."

Speaking in his capacity as a commentator for American network NBC, Faldo also said Garcia had a "bad attitude" in Louisville, when he claimed just one point from four matches.

Faldo's captaincy was criticised in the wake of Europe's defeat after he loaded the bottom end of Sunday's singles with his best players, despite being five points down going into the Sunday matches.

McIlroy and Garcia were beaten by Phil Mickelson's putt on the final hole of this morning's fourballs at Gleneagles. However, an inspired fightback from the pair saw them claim half a point against Jimmy Walker and Rickie Fowler to help propel Europe to a 5-3 lead against the USA.

Garcia initially laughed off Faldo's comments when they were put to him during a press conference after Friday's foursomes.

"That's unfortunate," Garcia said. "I guess he doesn't feel European. That's the only thing I can think of. There's a lot of things I can say about Nick Faldo, but I'm not going to put myself down to his level."

The Spaniard's team-mates also jumped to his defence at the press conference, with Graeme McDowell, who made his Ryder Cup debut in 2008, bringing up Faldo's controversial decision to drop Garcia and Lee Westwood at Valhalla.

"You've got one of the best Ryder Cup pairings of all time being sat down on a Saturday afternoon of a Ryder Cup that we go on to lose," he said. "I'd say Sergio was fairly useless that afternoon, yeah, because he wasn't able to play. So, yeah, I agree."

Garcia then pretended to burst into tears and McIlroy offered him a consoling arm. "You're not useless," he joked. Garcia replied a smile: "Thanks, Nick. I love you, too."

72843.3.jpg

Justin Rose this morning has been incredible, what an all round golfer, one of the best

The golf has improved dramatically from yesterday this morning, some fantastic shots and people better on the greens

Yes, Rose and Stenson have been awesome so it is huge kudos to Watson and Kuchar staying right in touch

Could still go either way, great stuff

Wow Fowler from the bunker, 2 shot swing when Poulter and McIlroy miss, tense!

Rose again, 6 birdies in a row FFS!

Incredible golf this morning, the almost target golf conditions have really suited the Yanks, they have been brilliant

Its a minimum of 2 points for the Yanks, you would hope 1 for Rose/Stenson so its down to Rory vs Fowler/Walker as Poulter is awful

I don't understand how Garcia's ranking is so high, every time I see him he is driving it into the rubbish and hacking wildly trying to reach the green across 7 hazards. He has incredible skill at rescuing situations, but is always getting himself into those situations!

A bit like Poulter, he pulls out some incredible saves, but he is the one who left himself 50 yards short of the green through bad play in the first place.

It is so frustrating watching players belt the ball out there... but off line. Golf is such a difficult game, even the world's best can't get the Dr.iver to go straight!

Strange how fans go crazy if Europe hole a 20 foot putt, but only murmur when a Yank misses a 2 footer

It is the same outcome. Maybe they are just being polite. After the scenes a few years ago I'm not sure we should be so polite.

PS - it frustrates me that every play either tries to draw or fade their shots, they fanny about trying to hold it against the wind, line up pointing wide and then try to draw it back in, or 'see it' one way or another and have to flirt with the bunker to get close, or actually aim out wide and then look amazed when they block it straight and it never comes back.

One day a top golfer will proclaim "hey guys, just aim straight at the centre of the green and guess what... after 72 holes you come out better off than when you flirt with danger on every other shot" and he will be heralded as some sort of genius

Strange how fans go crazy if Europe hole a 20 foot putt, but only murmur when a Yank misses a 2 footer

It is the same outcome. Maybe they are just being polite. After the scenes a few years ago I'm not sure we should be so polite.

PS - it frustrates me that every play either tries to draw or fade their shots, they fanny about trying to hold it against the wind, line up pointing wide and then try to draw it back in, or 'see it' one way or another and have to flirt with the bunker to get close, or actually aim out wide and then look amazed when they block it straight and it never comes back.

One day a top golfer will proclaim "hey guys, just aim straight at the centre of the green and guess what... after 72 holes you come out better off than when you flirt with danger on every other shot" and he will be heralded as some sort of genius

Its because European golf fans know how to behave unlike the cretins in the US

Shocking from Garcia to underhit a putt like that. I think I would have done better with a broom.
..Not quite as shocking as the Yanks though, missing quite a bit :lol:

Match 1 (11.36am): Graeme McDowell vs Jordan Spieth USA

Match 2 (11.48am): Henrik Stenson vs Patrick Reed. Tie

Match 3 (12.00pm): Rory McIlroy vs Rickie Fowler EUR

Match 4 (12.12pm): Justin Rose vs Hunter Mahan EUR

Match 5 (12.24pm): Stephen Gallacher vs Phil Mickelson. USA

Match 6 (12.36pm): Martin Kaymer vs Bubba Watson. EUR

Match 7 (12.48pm): Thomas Bjorn vs Matt Kuchar. USA

Match 8 (1.00pm): Sergio Garcia vs Jin Furyk. Tie

Match 9 (1.12pm): Ian Poulter vs Webb Simpson. EUR

Match 10 (1.24pm): Jamie Donaldson vs Keegan Bradley. USA

Match 11 (1.36pm): Lee Westwood vs Jimmy Walker. Tie

Match 12 (1.48pm): Victor Dubuisson vs Zach Johnson. EUR

Look at that 1st tee McGinley, Olazabal, Torrance, Jimenez, Smythe, the Yanks really do have no chance haha

Shame some of the others arent though. Early days still, but not too early to start worrying US up in 6 down in 2

Last 15 minsutes have been good for Europe

Rory, Kaymer points are in the bag, meaning we only need another 2 to tie and retain

Yep get those 2 wins board early and it could well knock the wind out of the sails of the US guys in those back 5 or 6 matches

Back