• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Goalkeeper situation

Roy1983

Edward Sheringham
Think we are all in agreement Friedel is probably the most reliable keeper we've had in the Premiership era. I'd happily have him again for next season but what of Gomes and Cudicini? (In the studio for the Lazio game on ESPN tonight strangely). Gomes is early thirties and on 45k per week at a guess and Carlo is 36 and on half that maybe?

Do we keep 3 or trim to 2 and have a youth goalkeeper ready to come in if needed thus freeing up a place in the 25 man squad?

Gomes is done at the club, at the very least as long as Harry is here. Dropping Gomes for Friedel to try to rebuild Gomes' confidence I could see. Dropping Gomes from first choice to third choice to me means that his days are over.

Friedel has at least one more good season in him. Cudicini can be a backup goalie for at least that, possibly another couple of seasons.

We need to be looking for a new goalie, hot young hotshot or experienced pro, doesn't really matter. We need to be looking for someone who can replace Friedel and if we find that player for the right price he should be signed immediately.

If we have the opportunity to snap up a premium 'keeper this summer then I would like us to do so and replace Friedel. In terms of the situation for the entire squad - I think we should get rid of Gomes and look to keep Carlo.

We need to be looking for a new goalie, hot young hotshot or experienced pro, doesn't really matter. We need to be looking for someone who can replace Friedel and if we find that player for the right price he should be signed immediately.
I agree. It is the most important position on the field and probably the hardest to gain some quality in.

I think we need to get rid of Gomes, Friedel is good for another season and i would like to see us bring a young keeper in who could replace him then.

Think we are all in agreement Friedel is probably the most reliable keeper we've had in the Premiership era. I'd happily have him again for next season but what of Gomes and Cudicini? (In the studio for the Lazio game on ESPN tonight strangely). Gomes is early thirties and on 45k per week at a guess and Carlo is 36 and on half that maybe?

Do we keep 3 or trim to 2 and have a youth goalkeeper ready to come in if needed thus freeing up a place in the 25 man squad?

Carlo is 38 and his contract expires this season. However I can see both him and Friedel sticking around for next season as well.

Gomes' contract expires this season but we have a 2 year option on it. Be interesting to see if we just let him go or not. I suspect the Levy thing will be to keep him so as to be able to sell him.

David Button will be 3rd choice keeper if Gomes goes. Alnwick I think may be on the last year of his contract.

I think Brad could easily do another season, fitness permitting

His dive/stretch for Everton's goal was spectacular considering his age. Absolutely top drawer and almost, almost manged to push it away

EDIT - What the fudge is that in my avatar?

lc7lk.jpg

Sign him up.

Yes some show pony. ArcspacE if you can't recognise who that is then all your comments about Barca are null and void. ;)

Oh, dear

It's that downy looking kid, right? If anything - goes to show how much I hate them not to recognise that man

Given his recent line ups, I fully believe Redknapp is capable of signing Messi then playing him in goal.

:ross::(

I have to say, hearing his post-match waffle about how Bale was moved across to "pin Leighton Baines back" or whatever was absolutely hilarious!!!! It would've been funnier if it hadn't been true!!!! THAT is where Harry is failing right now; seriously, if you have supposedly one of the best left-wingers in the world and you move him to the right to 'pin back' a player who is basically a bargain-rate BAE, then you're already throwing in the towel! And before a tactics-meister comes here to explain it, I understand what he's saying, I just think it sends the wrong message to your side when you shape your team, your much more SKILLFUL AND BETTER team, to nullify overlapping full-backs and avoid one-on-ones with Phil fudging Neville!!!!!!!! If you can take a detached POV, it's very funny, Mike Basset territory...

Last edited:
I'd be happy with us signing an experienced Premiership keeper when the time comes to replace Friedel. Signing young, promising keepers and then putting them on the bench is a high risk strategy that does not pay off very often.

Think GK is our 5th priority - after 2 forwards, a CB and a wide player.

We could wait till the following summer if need be. Guess Krul is the obvious name.

Back