• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Goal of the decade

A lot of great goals there! Very hard to decide, as they are so different. It really depends on the criteria of which to judge them. How important is context? The most vital goal is arguably Crouch vs City, that bought us CL for the first time. The most memorable goal must of course be Moura vs Ajax, but neither goals are exceptionally good (although the latter comes from great team play).

Then there's the derby factor. Who doesn’t remember THAT Rose debut or Kane's long range effort against Arse? Or Bale's brilliant 3-2 finish against West Ham? They're all great goals in important matches.

But then there's the rabona, in a long forgotten European game. A brilliant piece of skill, a unique and outrageous finish, but not during a memorable occation or an important game.

The same can be said for what I think is my favourite: Bale's volley against Stoke. I can watch that goal over and over again and still be amazed by the skill it takes to hit that ball so sweetly into the top corner. It's pin point perfect. A beautiful goal in an otherwise dull game IIRC.

I like perfection, and that goal was perfection. More so than my other favourite; Dele's three touches against Palace - also an outrageous goal with great skill, but not as perfectly executed as Bale's finish.

I know it's nitpicking, of course. I love both goals (and many others, including the rabona). But my pedantic nature makes me vote for Bale this time.

For me, technique is a big part of the decision so I'd go with Bale's volley against Stoke. There are so few players who could do that.

I'll never forget that Moura goal, great goal in a great game that meant so much at the time.
But I could never vote for it, not after the complete brick show of the final, celebrate being a poor runner up, nah.
I'd rather we hadn't got the final, it hurts, and I don't think it will ever stop hurting.

Kane 1st vs Chelsea in the 5-3 win. Echoes of Ricky Veel-YAH! 1981. Really happy start to a new year. Big moment. Firmly announced Kane's arrival, Spurs intent.

Bale at Stoke for me. I was there, just a shame we were at the other end of the ground but I knew instantly I'd seen something truly special. I called it goal of the decade on the day. Or maybe I'm romanticising just slightly & it was goal of the season I called it...

Actually it was his last day strike vs. Sunderland in 2013 that immediately sprang to mind for me when I saw this poll. But I'll stick with the Stoke volley. Absolutely unbelievable.

One of my favourites is Sigurdsson's against Hull. Bloody fantastic turn and absolute rocket of a shot.

He was a truly quality player. Even at his age I was gutted we didn't extend that deal further.

Edit. Oops....I'm thinking of Gudjohnsen here! Ignore me.

So many outstanding goals!

Long-range precision from Modric, a swerving thunderbolt from Wanyama even Sandro's unlikely screamer against pool!

Bale made scoring look easy, his best goals other couldn't score. The pinpoint volley against Stoke was neat, deft. But Alli could pop that chance away (and Alli's against Palace is better!). Bale vs Inter was a seminal moment. The world saw how he could ruin good defenders.

But above Bale is Moura's goal. All the others on the list are amazing, but Moura's was unbelievable. It was a moment. Like a religious event. Closest Scara has ever got to GHod :)

Last edited:
One of my favourites is Sigurdsson's against Hull. Bloody fantastic turn and absolute rocket of a shot.

That goal and Kane's against Scum I was watching on my phone under the table at work - got badly busted both times. :p thankfully, I had a very understanding boss, haha.

Bale against Stoke was on my wedding day.

Harry’s first against the goons, I was watching on a stream on my phone, hidden over my wife’s shoulder as my first child was being born!! :D

I think it’s the Bale one against Sunderland for me though. No net to stop it and that’s still going now!....

That wasn't even Moura's best goal in that game.
Dele's goal against Chelsea is sooo good.
Love Kane's against the goons (the shot, not the header).
Bale's goals are perfect, as he did it time and again, and they are unsavable.
Rose's goal is amazing, doesn't look real.

What won?

That wasn't even Moura's best goal in that game.
Dele's goal against Chelsea is sooo good.
Love Kane's against the goons (the shot, not the header).
Bale's goals are perfect, as he did it time and again, and they are unsavable.
Rose's goal is amazing, doesn't look real.

What won?

Freund's chip at Stevenage

I'll never forget that Moura goal, great goal in a great game that meant so much at the time.
But I could never vote for it, not after the complete brick show of the final, celebrate being a poor runner up, nah.
I'd rather we hadn't got the final, it hurts, and I don't think it will ever stop hurting.

This. At the time of the Ajax and City games, I rewatched both time and again and smiled from ear to ear. The glow never dimmed. The emotion probably unparalleled in my time supporting the club.

But the final ruined both for me. I can't watch any of our CL run last year without feeling sick. Maybe that'll change in time.

Back