• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

goal difference difference

metalgear

Nayim
seriously something we need to work on. one game to go we have

Emirates Marketing Project +63
liverpool +50
chelsea +43
arsenal +25
everton +20
spurs +1
man utd +21
soton +8

for those in love with sherwood's attacking football, avb left us with a -2 goal difference, so not so much an improvement

it's surprising that with such a ****ty g/d, we're in 6th. poor all around, but i think shoring up the defense will solve problems all over the pitch since we need a solid platform to build attacks off of.

liverpool +50
chelsea +43
arsenal +25
everton +20
spurs +1
man utd +21
soton +8

for those in love with sherwood's attacking football, avb left us with a -2 goal difference, so not so much an improvement

I see your point. Whilst Sherwood has got us scoring our defence has gone massively backwards. In a perfect world if you could subtract the massive hammerings. Emirates Marketing Project ( 5-1 & 6-0 ) = -10. Liverpool ( 5-0 & 4-0 ) = -9. Chelski 4-0 = -4. That is a 23 goals difference there.

To be fair Sherwood has had sod all to work with defensively, I've never known us to have so many constant injuries at CB. I'm not saying we would have constantly kept clean sheets, but Verts has either been injured or when played not cared, Chiriches looked decent until he got injured then I think he got rushed back unsurprisingly in our predicament. We really missed Dawson, I know he gets slated a lot on here but we always look more solid when he's playing and the stats prove that. Kaboul still injury prone and just unreliable etc etc I'm not making excuses for Sherwood, well I am but.....

Tottenham_PL_Stats.jpg

That's 12 seasons of positive GD (provided we don't lose to Villa), 9 negative and one breaking even.

To be fair Sherwood has had sod all to work with defensively, I've never known us to have so many constant injuries at CB. I'm not saying we would have constantly kept clean sheets, but Verts has either been injured or when played not cared, Chiriches looked decent until he got injured then I think he got rushed back unsurprisingly in our predicament. We really missed Dawson, I know he gets slated a lot on here but we always look more solid when he's playing and the stats prove that. Kaboul still injury prone and just unreliable etc etc I'm not making excuses for Sherwood, well I am but.....

Its not just the centre backs that defend though is it. Rose, Walker and naughton have been found severely lacking at times. Also without playing midfielder that can offer some cover we are also exposing the defence to attack. Its a team thing more than a player thing in my mind. We just do not work hard enough in our formation to defend well. We always looks way too open and easy for teams to cut apart.

liverpool +50
chelsea +43
arsenal +25
everton +20
spurs +1
man utd +21
soton +8

AVB left us with -6.

Its not just the centre backs that defend though is it. Rose, Walker and naughton have been found severely lacking at times. Also without playing midfielder that can offer some cover we are also exposing the defence to attack. Its a team thing more than a player thing in my mind. We just do not work hard enough in our formation to defend well. We always looks way too open and easy for teams to cut apart.

Oh of course, defending is a team game. But the CBs is pivotal, and even at FB we have had consistent injuries there too. Can you tell me a team who have demonstrated a decent defensive record whilst having to negotiate so many consistent defensive injuries? Or in fact just tell me a team who has had so many defensive injuries in a season?!

Oh of course, defending is a team game. But the CBs is pivotal, and even at FB we have had consistent injuries there too. Can you tell me a team who have demonstrated a decent defensive record whilst having to negotiate so many consistent defensive injuries? Or in fact just tell me a team who has had so many defensive injuries in a season?!

We do consistently seem to have way too many injuries. The only team i can name of the top of my head with a ton of injuries has been Wet Spam. I know Fat Sam was moaning about it all season more or less. But the way he sets his team up they were mostly parking the bus away from home.

I know team like liverpool and Everton have been very lucky with injuries compared to us. Its been this way for years.

For "goal difference" read "current mentality against the genuine title contenders". Something which I would hope we address by next season.

Reduce the hammering against Chelsea, City and Liverpool to one goal deficits and you see us on around +20, much more consistent with our points total

For "goal difference" read "current mentality against the genuine title contenders". Something which I would hope we address by next season.

Reduce the hammering against Chelsea, City and Liverpool to one goal deficits and you see us on around +20, much more consistent with our points total

Looking at the goal difference vs the bottom half there is some truth to that. http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/premier-league/2013-2014/versus-bottom-half/full

We're at +15, comparable to Everton (+15), Chelsea (+18) and Southampton (+17). Which is in line with most of the clubs around us. We're still way behind Aresnal (+31), Liverpool (+29) and City (+33) along with Manchester United somewhat surprisingly (+33).

Very True. If we play with no DM like Sandro / Capoue and put Sigi there, we are exposing our CBs.
Dim clueless Tim has no idea.

Very True. If we play with no DM like Sandro / Capoue and put Sigi there, we are exposing our CBs.
Dim clueless Tim has no idea.

If Tim has no idea what did AVB have. By my reckoning if we're at +1 now and when AVB left it was -6 that makes DimTim as having a +7 GD.

The strange thing ... or another one ... is that we started off very well defensively, which was just as well given our goal-scoring. The first eleven games included seven clean sheets, three single goals and the West Ham fiasco. Then we gave up six to City and started conceding regularly. In part it was the schedule, but we seemingly lost our confidence.

Back