• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Giovani Lo Celso

This is going to sound ridiculous to some given many thinks he should be out of the team and given up on.

Said it before, the player he reminds me of most is Zidane. Ability to beat players and lines of pressure through skill, physicality and passing. Astonishing amount of inventive moves and skill in tight areas.

Zidane was a better ball striker, and of course overall a much better player than Ndombele has been for us. Just a comparison in terms of attributes, not overall quality (so far at least).
Yeah, I think I get it. Zidane had the ability to make the ridiculously difficult look so easy. First-touch Cruyff turn to leave two players for dead? Easy. Perfectly weighted through-ball with a touch of backspin so your striker doesn't have to break stride? Simple.

Ndombele's certainly got the raw ability, but he's got a long way to go before he can I need TP for my bunghole regularly in a PL midfield. Youth is on his side, thankfully, but time isn't on Spurs'.

Skill wise and one on one's Ndom is really good.
It's the spatial awareness of the big pitch that he lacks.

Can be taught I guess but we will have to put up with him while he learns.

This is going to sound ridiculous to some given many thinks he should be out of the team and given up on.

Said it before, the player he reminds me of most is Zidane. Ability to beat players and lines of pressure through skill, physicality and passing. Astonishing amount of inventive moves and skill in tight areas.

Zidane was a better ball striker, and of course overall a much better player than Ndombele has been for us. Just a comparison in terms of attributes, not overall quality (so far at least).

Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Last edited:
Skill wise and one on one's Ndom is really good.
It's the spatial awareness of the big pitch that he lacks.

Can be taught I guess but we will have to put up with him while he learns.

Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app
I actually think spatial awareness is one of his strengths. He spots and makes passes under pressure that others in our team struggle to find and make when not under pressure.

His ability to get past players, it's not just skill, it's also knowing when and where to try to go past players.

He's also fairly quick to release the ball after going past players, not as head down as some players who are good at dribbling can be.

We just need to get him the ball in decent positions more.

that’s a big call mate. Ndombele is skilled no doubt, but when going past players it looks like he puts a lot of energy into it, Zidane done it like it was nothing, effortlessly, elegantly. His touch was also on a different planet, as was his vision and use of the ball.

he also had huge amounts of fight, and will to win.

Im a zidane fan so maybe not the person to respond fairly, but to me they are worlds apart and even considering the gap in talent, not particularly similar in playing style either.

I agree. Zidane also played in an era where flair players were accommodated and carried better.

that’s a big call mate. Ndombele is skilled no doubt, but when going past players it looks like he puts a lot of energy into it, Zidane done it like it was nothing, effortlessly, elegantly. His touch was also on a different planet, as was his vision and use of the ball.

he also had huge amounts of fight, and will to win.

Im a zidane fan so maybe not the person to respond fairly, but to me they are worlds apart and even considering the gap in talent, not particularly similar in playing style either.
I think we most certainly agree that there's a clear difference in quality. Zidane was one of the best players on the planet for quite a while. Ndombele has not shown himself anywhere near that level.

Definitely also differences both in technical and mental attributes.

I mean my comment more about the types of abilities be brings and doesn't bring. I think he's more similar to Zidane in that regard than Dembele. Both imperfect comparisons as such things are. So far he hasn't reached the overall level of either, but I remain convinced of his potential.

hopefull Nuno will play him like how Argentina does.

That might improve his displays, but he's yet to show he can do it in this league. Every player has a preferred position but you must prove you're good enough to play in it. We desperately need someone to provide better service to the attacking players, hopefully he can raise his game and provide it.

That might improve his displays, but he's yet to show he can do it in this league. Every player has a preferred position but you must prove you're good enough to play in it. We desperately need someone to provide better service to the attacking players, hopefully he can raise his game and provide it.
The debate about if he is good enough is one thing but he will never be good enough on the right side. His game is completely unsuited to that role. Let's play him in the areas that attracted us to him in the first place and then judge whether hes up to the spec or not. We will get no answers playing him on the right hand side.

Last edited:
The debate about if he is good enough is one thing but he will never be good enough on the right side. His game is completely unsuited to that role. Let's play him in the areas that attracted us to him in the first place and then judge whether hes up to the spec or not. We will get no answers playing him on the right hand side.

To a degree your right but it doesnt explain why he gives the ball away so often with simple passes.

To a degree your right but it doesnt explain why he gives the ball away so often with simple passes.

It kind of does when you look at his body shape, it forces him to dribble inside as he doesn't have blistering pace so he can't really go on the outside. When he plays in the middle, he will usually be faced up square on towards the goal which allows him to more easily dribble in either direction. Which leads into the directions he can pass to. On the right he will always cut in side only really giving the inside diagonal passing route. Often that pass is blocked or just not a good option. Let him play in the middle like he did in the latter half of Mou's first season and we will see the return of those good performances that so many fans with short memories are forgetting.

It kind of does when you look at his body shape, it forces him to dribble inside as he doesn't have blistering pace so he can't really go on the outside. When he plays in the middle, he will usually be faced up square on towards the goal which allows him to more easily dribble in either direction. Which leads into the directions he can pass to. On the right he will always cut in side only really giving the inside diagonal passing route. Often that pass is blocked or just not a good option. Let him play in the middle like he did in the latter half of Mou's first season and we will see the return of those good performances that so many fans with short memories are forgetting.

I must be one of those fans as I cant remember a match where I thought he was outstanding. He may well have done it for Argentina or before he joined us, still not convinced by either him or N'dombele despite their talents. I'm desperate to see either or both perform regularly for us as we need creativity.

I must be one of those fans as I cant remember a match where I thought he was outstanding. He may well have done it for Argentina or before he joined us, still not convinced by either him or N'dombele despite their talents. I'm desperate to see either or both perform regularly for us as we need creativity.

I wouldn't say he was ever outstanding. However he did have a run of performances playing in CM next to Winks of all people that looked very competent. I remember Mou started to rely on him and then he got yet another injury iirc. Every time he (and Ndombele) have had a run of games and start getting going some external factor hasn't stopped both in their tracks.

Back