• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Giovani Lo Celso

Further fair observation mate, and I stand partially corrected (he was still disappointing overall for me)…
To be fair you are right in that he could have been better, I just think it was more external factors rather than Rebrov’s application or quality to blame personally. Certainly in comparison to someone like NDombele anyway…

Was he a regular in 4-3-3? I did not think so. I stand to be corrected on that though.

I have read a lot about him since we were first interested, and noted comments from observers on weight and attitude, but to start commenting on his attitude and intelligence is just so far off the mark for me. You’re comparing him with De Jong, whose path has been very different in both life and football. The single biggest problem (IMO) with Ndombele, is he did not get into the game via conventional ‘building’ steps. As for the right elements of self-belief, again, this is such an arbitrary comment. I know professionals at the very very top of their game who are nearly crippled with self-doubt on a regular basis. They have good people around them to keep the ship going.

As for changing, I think it is well worth nothing that having had an early kicking from Mourinho, he did buckle down and work his way into Jose’s thinking and set-up. Then came Nuno, then came Conte, two more to adapt to and let’s face it, Ndombele is not the last player who simply won’t work in a Conte squad, we’ve got several.

I agree his costs make him a massive target, and he has not been able to do himself justice, but let’s see what happens next. I hope he gets a move where he can rebuild and -more importantly- be in another environment than ours for all concerned.
The weight thing is done to death and IMO probably not even true. He could always be fitter and it’s no coincidence that some coaches have focussed on that big he ain’t gonna be unfit

Lyon played 4-3-3 several times when he was there and I watched them. They also played 4-4-2

The French league though was weak

where he shone was playing in a central pivot in Europe when teams have them less respect and they really excelled. He was massively key because he had space which he never really gets in the prem

the guy can keep the ball better than most players but if he can’t run for 90 minutes… he ain’t joining a top side

Last edited:
Further fair observation mate, and I stand partially corrected (he was still disappointing overall for me)…

Your point of view is fair Steff. He was disappointing overall and he will forever be in the same bucket as Soldado, Postiga and now Ndombele when we think about our big money flops. I think we failed him more than the others though.

Thought he was OK to start with but no one else was on his way of of thinking (think he expected a Shevchenko like understanding with someone) and then his confidence totally and quickly drained. He would play passes into space but no one was running or anticipating.

Your point of view is fair Steff. He was disappointing overall and he will forever be in the same bucket as Soldado, Postiga and now Ndombele when we think about our big money flops. I think we failed him more than the others though.
Postiga!!!!!!!

The weight thing is done to death and IMO probably not even true. He could always be fitter and it’s no coincidence that some coaches have focussed on that big he ain’t gonna be unfit

Lyon played 4-3-3 several times when he was there and I watched them. They also played 4-4-2

The French league though was weak

where he shone was playing in a central pivot in Europe when teams have them less respect and they really excelled. He was massively key because he had space which he never really gets in the prem

the guy can keep the ball better than most players but if he can’t run for 90 minutes… he ain’t joining a top side
I'm with Conte's philosophy that you need to be literally fighting fit to play in the Epl. Sorry for the winks fans, just great stats isn't good enough to be good player, you need to contribute to winning. you need to be able to draw players, ride challenges then pass to try to create the numerical advantage at the very least.

Ndombele's from street to stadium football is probably the main culprit for his lack of adaptability. I am sure we can find talented and superfit atheletes however there is a social aspect of the game at the highest level... The different caches, players and the head coach... A true pro needs to navigate the social and political dimension to belong.

With Lo Celso, its obvious he prioritized the national team ahead of spurs. Even when he recovered he didn't fully commit in the Epl games. Perhaps too "professional" an attitude using Spurs as a stepping stone to bigger things? If so, glad that Conte caught on.

Sent from my SM-S908E using Fapatalk

Last edited:
With Lo Celso, its obvious he prioritized the national team ahead of spurs. Even when he recovered he didn't fully commit in the Epl games. Perhaps too "professional" an attitude using Spurs as a stepping stone to bigger things? If so, glad that Conte caught on.

Sent from my SM-S908E using Fapatalk
As a side note I think we may see a few top players potentially being a little less committed with the world cup happening mid season. I still can't believe it's actually happening!

As a side note I think we may see a few top players potentially being a little less committed with the world cup happening mid season. I still can't believe it's actually happening!

Massive advantage to Italian teams in European competitions too.

I think its more likely players will have a quiet/easy world cup to be fit for the end of the European season, especially those in the CL.

We've only got one player in the england squad.
Quite an important player though!

I think in serie A there are a high percentage of Italian players compared to English in the prem, so we as a league will see a greater exodus of players from the top clubs. I'm sure I read somewhere its something like 60% Italian there and 35% English here

Quite an important player though!

I think in serie A there are a high percentage of Italian players compared to English in the prem, so we as a league will see a greater exodus of players from the top clubs. I'm sure I read somewhere its something like 60% Italian there and 35% English here

Tbh we (hopefully) will only have to worry about those in the champions league.

Back