• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Giovani Lo Celso

I'm a bit baffled we didn't go after Lo Celso last summer. It's not like Betis is a bigger draw than Spurs. Now we'll have to pay triple for him...

Maybe there wasn't a gap in the squad for him last sutor we were uncertain how he would progress.

I'm a bit baffled we didn't go after Lo Celso last summer. It's not like Betis is a bigger draw than Spurs. Now we'll have to pay triple for him...
He wasn't very good until last season. PSV let him go pretty cheap, presumably because they didn't think he'd make it

I disagree. Poch wants a solid squad. Eriksen was undroppable last season because of lack of options and got used in CM.
I admit to not knowing all that about Lo Celso, but it seems to me that they both occupy the same (useful) position on the pitch. I'm all for rotation and such, but keeping an AM field of Son, Alli, Lamela, Lo Celso, Eriksen and Moura happy (all of which I consider somewhat wasted in deep midfield) is looking a bit City-esque. Seeing, or rather hoping, that we won't have the same injury problems next season - unlikely as we are Spurs after all - having more than two of Winks, Sissoko, DNombele and Dier in treatment at the same time, I doubt there will be the same need for deputizing.

Edit: if so happens, we won't have any excuses for not going hard after one of the cups at least.

I admit to not knowing all that about Lo Celso, but it seems to me that they both occupy the same (useful) position on the pitch. I'm all for rotation and such, but keeping an AM field of Son, Alli, Lamela, Lo Celso, Eriksen and Moura happy (all of which I consider somewhat wasted in deep midfield) is looking a bit City-esque. Seeing, or rather hoping, that we won't have the same injury problems next season - unlikely as we are Spurs after all - having more than two of Winks, Sissoko, DNombele and Dier in treatment at the same time, I doubt there will be the same need for deputizing.

Edit: if so happens, we won't have any excuses for not going hard after one of the cups at least.
We will. The Audi Cup.

There is no headcount increase if ndombele and lo Celso replace dembele, wanyama and llorentr

There is no headcount increase if ndombele and lo Celso replace dembele, wanyama and llorentr

Thats it, people are failing to account for llorente going and unlikely to be directly replaced - which is the right decision because finding a back up to kane has proved futile - instead another attacking midfielder is needed, to free up son/lucas to step in for kane when poch wants to rest him or when he’s injured.

Lo celso is coming and so is another if eriksen leaves.

And why would we not just look to make the squad better?
You have to build upon succes, not think small time.
If Lamela wants to play, he needs to stay fit and in form.
If Eriksen wants to play he needs to stay on form.
If Lo Celso wants to play, he needs to prove it.

Adding a few players to make a squad of 17-20 really strong players is not City-esque (although frankly what's wrong with that? Their squad is excellent - it's the path to creating the squad that is the issue there) - it's good squad creation.

And why would we not just look to make the squad better?
You have to build upon succes, not think small time.
If Lamela wants to play, he needs to stay fit and in form.
If Eriksen wants to play he needs to stay on form.
If Lo Celso wants to play, he needs to prove it.

Adding a few players to make a squad of 17-20 really strong players is not City-esque (although frankly what's wrong with that? Their squad is excellent - it's the path to creating the squad that is the issue there) - it's good squad creation.

Thiiiiiiis.

Exactly, we were accused of lacking depth last season and suffered many injuries. Now we're bringing in quality replacements and people are moaning. Having too many good players won't be no bad thing (not that it's the case anyway) and will bring competition for places. About time they had pressure put on them, too many players coasting last season.

Exactly, we were accused of lacking depth last season and suffered many injuries. Now we're bringing in quality replacements and people are moaning. Having too many good players won't be no bad thing (not that it's the case anyway) and will bring competition for places. About time they had pressure put on them, too many players coasting last season.

You still don't want more than about two senior players for every position

So Kane, Son, Alli, Eriksen, Moura, Lamela, Lo Celso and say Sessegnon (who can later replace Rose at LB when Clarke arrives) for 4 positions, sounds about right.

The difference is that Celso and say Sessegnon are potentially major upgrades on Llorente and Nkouodu.

I don't believe for a minute that we'll get Lo Celso AND keep Eriksen.

I think its more likely we start the season with: Kane, Son, Alli, Moura, Lamela, Lo Celso, Olmo, Sessegnon....though hopefully we also sell Lamela and replace him with someone who can cover CF like Son can

He wasn't very good until last season. PSV let him go pretty cheap, presumably because they didn't think he'd make it
Picture1-2.png

:confused: <- That's my confused face.

Do we need someone to cover CF like Son can, if we have enough AMs to allow for Son to cover CF?

In my view we do. Even if you say that Moura can play there as a push, we only have 2.5 options up front. Compare that to last season when we also had Llorente, and technically Janssen, and I think all our competitors have more options there too

In my view we do. Even if you say that Moura can play there as a push, we only have 2.5 options up front. Compare that to last season when we also had Llorente, and technically Janssen, and I think all our competitors have more options there too

Last season we didnt have enough AMs (or fit AMs).

If we have the bodies to rotate around the AM pool, then Son is free to play up front whenever we need him to. And he has proven the most capable option we have.

While Im not against buying a young striker who might develop, I see no real necessity to replace Llorente providing we have strengthened AM.

Picture1-2.png

:confused: <- That's my confused face.
It does seem a bit of a mystery. That chart suggests a world class player, admittedly playing for a dominant team in a lesser league. So why did they shift him on to Real Betis, with such a low purchase clause? Even if they had the luxury of better players in and around his position (Rabiot? Neymar?), why would they have let Betis get him so cheap?

So his "Antarctica chart" wasn't quite as good last season, but it was still good enough to make him a stand out in the much stronger Spanish league. And yet inflation has pushed his price up to a silly amount.

If Poch thinks he's worth €75m or whatever, sure, why not. But I worry that he's a £25m player in a €75m shirt.

It does seem a bit of a mystery. That chart suggests a world class player, admittedly playing for a dominant team in a lesser league. So why did they shift him on to Real Betis, with such a low purchase clause? Even if they had the luxury of better players in and around his position (Rabiot? Neymar?), why would they have let Betis get him so cheap?

PSG. Thats your answer. It doesnt need to make sense or be logical when youve money to burn.

Its not even about the instant impact, rather the brand recognition.

Lo Celso wasnt immediately Messi and Neymar combined, move him on, try the next...

Though I do wonder if they look at the player now, the potential deal he is moving for, and regret their actions.

Probably not.

Back