• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

General Transfer Discussion Thread

I can see us being interested, but we won't be able to compete with Liverpool this summer. Ben Davies or Dodo will be more our league this year.

I wouldn't be tempted to trade him for Soldado at all though. Decent LBs are two-a-penny. But elite strikers are ridiculously hard to come by (and hugely overinflated price wise). Remember it actually took us 5 years and about £90m to get back to having two elite forwards again in Ade and Soldado after Berbs and Keane left.

Elite strikers score more than 2 open play goals a season and don't miss sitters galore.

I can see us being interested, but we won't be able to compete with Liverpool this summer. Ben Davies or Dodo will be more our league this year.

I wouldn't be tempted to trade him for Soldado at all though. Decent LBs are two-a-penny. But elite strikers are ridiculously hard to come by (and hugely overinflated price wise). Remember it actually took us 5 years and about £90m to get back to having two elite forwards again in Ade and Soldado after Berbs and Keane left.

Why are you comparing decent LBs to elite strikers? Are you saying that Moreno is just a decent left back, or?

Decent left backs might be two-a-penny, but the same is true for decent strikers. Top class left backs are very hard to come by!

We are lucky that Soldado still probably has a decent reputation in Spain so we can still get a reasonable amount back on him. I think we should take advantage of that as if he has another season like his last one then he'll be worth nothing at all.

I wish I didn't agree with you. I so wanted Soldado to be a success at Spurs, but if we can get back a decent chunk of the money we spent on him (Atlético Madrid are clearly in the market for a striker, and they'll have some cash after selling Costa to Chelsea) then we should take the money and roll the dice with another striker - Pochettino's choice, whoever it may be.

Soldado might come good if he stays at Spurs (and I'll be very happy if that happens). But right now, I think the less risky path would be to cut our losses with him and look elsewhere.

Has anyone considered Youri Tielemans from Anderlecht for our vacant 'deep-lying playmaker' position? He's only 17, would need some time to bed in, and doesn't look capable of becoming a big, imposing unit (often key in the PL), but he's Belgian, and looks quite skilled. Some sparse Youtube footage:

[video=youtube;HSmHzW_txhw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSmHzW_txhw[/video]

To be fair.. there are quite a few young promising Belgians that I wouldnt mind us bidding for..

Praet, Tielmans, Batshuayi, Bakkali

Some very interesting suggestions from these posts put into the ITK thread here: http://www.glory-glory.co.uk/showthread.php/6222-ITK-Thread?p=566024&viewfull=1#post566024

Lovren and Schneiderlin our top Saints targets; if we get them before they sell Shaw and Lallana then price will likely be cheaper, perhaps even much cheaper.
Sandro possibly being sold as club worry about his knees and that we have enough 'brawn' in the CM area anyway...plus Schneiderlin seen as a good enough replacement, especially technically and for what Poch will likely want.

Interesting to say the least....

One wonders whether we should start hoping Croatia flop and that France's midfield perform so well Schneiderlin doesn't get a game...:-k

Thoughts?

I don't think there's any chance of us spending £25-30m on something that isn't a priority position (or at all actually).

We should have bought him from Zagreb when we were first linked for £6m back in about 2010.

I don't think there's any chance of us spending £25-30m on something that isn't a priority position (or at all actually).

We should have bought him from Zagreb when we were first linked for £6m back in about 2010.

28 years old, two years left on his contract (transfermarkt), very vocal about wanting out and very clearly not rated by Guardiola.

Unless one of the super rich clubs like Monaco, PSG or similar get involved I would be very surprised if he went for that much money. Of course that might change if he has an amazing World Cup...

28 years old, two years left on his contract (transfermarkt), very vocal about wanting out and very clearly not rated by Guardiola.

Unless one of the super rich clubs like Monaco, PSG or similar get involved I would be very surprised if he went for that much money. Of course that might change if he has an amazing World Cup...

CF prices are always double what they'd be for any other position on the pitch (whereas GKs are often about half).

You just don't get elite forwards for under £25m these days.

Gutted. Would be my #1 Modric replacement.
Maybe he isn't just that good. How can he be a Modric type replacement but at the same time no top club is interested in him and his current club Valencia sent him packing to Argentina to give him playing time????

However Lovren apparently said he wants to play in the CL ........rules us out then

TalkSport are saying he wants to go to Liverpool.

I have no idea where they get this from but they're reporting it anyway. ;)

Back