• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

General Transfer Discussion Thread

Cochise

Steve Carr
I know this may be a little premature but I have seen tonnes of rumours flying around already regarding players and figured we could do with a thread to put them in. I haven't seen any other threads for this subject so apologies to the mods if this needs locking or moving.

Diego Ribas da Cunha
---------------------
This guy is available on a free this summer and it is understood that we are interested. Making this signing would be the conclusion of a transfer saga that has spanned the best part of a decade, but I do question whether or not signing another player who plays in the no.10 position is really what Spurs are thinking. Then again we do love a free transfer.
http://www.footballdirectnews.com/p...n-playmaker-appeals-to-spurs.php#.UzvtsqK5eri

Gets a 2/5 for me

Romelu Lukaku
------------------
Chelsea are happy for him to leave but only if they get Costa in from Atletico Madrid. If this does happen it will set the club back a good £20 million, money which we have already splurged elsewhere so I would expect us to make sales before trying to pull this off. The other matter is that we are in a head to head with Everton for this guy and should they beat Arsenal to 4th will likely be a better option.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...kaku-Spurs-Blues-want-recoup-18m-Belgian.html

3/5 I dont think we will spend like that again after last summer.

Re: Transfer Rumours

Loic Remy - 4/5 - scouted by the club since Harry's time, now proven in the PL, available on a cheapish deal. Ticks all the boxes!

I like how the latest headline says Chelsea are looking to 'offload Lukaku' to Spurs.

I like how the latest headline says Chelsea are looking to 'offload Lukaku' to Spurs.

Ha, yeah, I can't believe they'd 'off load Lukaku' but keep Torres, Ba & Eto'o. I'd say Chelsea's lack of cutting edge upfront when compared to Liverpool & Emirates Marketing Project might be their downfall and the sight of Lukaku rampaging round opposition defences for Everton while Torres misses his latest sitter does make me wonder about the decision making at top football clubs!

Loic Remy - 4/5 - scouted by the club since Harry's time, now proven in the PL, available on a cheapish deal. Ticks all the boxes!

Also ticks the "prefers to play on the counter against teams that leave space" box which is fairly useless to us - we only play around 4 matches a year in which we're the clear underdogs.

That's not to say he can't play for a team against whom most teams park the bus, but he hasn't shown it in this country yet.

Levy has just set out our transfer strategy for the summer:

“Whilst this season’s performances and results have not lived up to expectation, we believe our squad has potential.

“Our focus therefore is to continue to invest in and develop the squad - we shall not look to a summer of major upheaval, but rather to strengthen in key positions.

Blind for LB, Claise as a deep ballplaying CM and Konoplyanka or Griezmann for LM are the ones we've been linked with that interest me.

Two young Dutch players well known to LVG, and two gettable (Griezmann due to his short contract) options for the left flank.

“Whilst this season’s performances and results have not lived up to expectation, we believe our squad has potential.

“Our focus therefore is to continue to invest in and develop the squad - we shall not look to a summer of major upheaval, but rather to strengthen in key positions.

Blind for LB, Claise as a deep ballplaying CM and Konoplyanka or Griezmann for LM are the ones we've been linked with that interest me.

Two young Dutch players well known to LVG, and two gettable (Griezmann due to his short contract) options for the left flank.

what levy says and what actually happens are two completely different things. I doubt at the end of last season he said we would sell our best player and buy 7 players with the money causing a big upheaval in the squad, but thats what happened..............the key in what he says is "we shall not look to a summer of major upheaval" He doesnt want it but in no way can he guarantee against it. There is every chance we may lose 2 or 3 major first teamers in Lloris, Vertonghen and Adebeyor. Add these to the other areas needed to be strengthened and we are again looking at possibly 5 or 6 new first team players. Thats major upheaval in my book

what levy says and what actually happens are two completely different things. I doubt at the end of last season he said we would sell our best player and buy 7 players with the money causing a big upheaval in the squad, but thats what happened..............the key in what he says is "we shall not look to a summer of major upheaval" He doesnt want it but in no way can he guarantee against it. There is every chance we may lose 2 or 3 major first teamers in Lloris, Vertonghen and Adebeyor. Add these to the other areas needed to be strengthened and we are again looking at possibly 5 or 6 new first team players. Thats major upheaval in my book

I doubt the plan in anyway is to start next season with 5 or 6 new players (that to your point would be a major upheaval)

The plan is more likely a new LB, a new creative midfielder and cover/squad for several positions including Striker, Keeper, CB, LW

We don't need to sell Lloris, Vert or Ade, and would presumably have no plan to unless the new manager specifically doesn't want one of them, out of the three, really only Lloris has the draw at this point to force a buying club to pay Levy prices for him.

I suspect 3 new players in the first team is the more realistic result, with probably 6-9 in total leaving squad, and another 7 or so coming into squad.

... I have seen tonnes of rumours flying around already regarding players and figured we could do with a thread to put them in.

I prefer my rumours in imperial units. None of these metric quantities of rumours for me. :)

I doubt the plan in anyway is to start next season with 5 or 6 new players (that to your point would be a major upheaval)

The plan is more likely a new LB, a new creative midfielder and cover/squad for several positions including Striker, Keeper, CB, LW

We don't need to sell Lloris, Vert or Ade, and would presumably have no plan to unless the new manager specifically doesn't want one of them, out of the three, really only Lloris has the draw at this point to force a buying club to pay Levy prices for him.

I suspect 3 new players in the first team is the more realistic result, with probably 6-9 in total leaving squad, and another 7 or so coming into squad.
we didnt need to sell Berbatov, Keane, Modric, VDV, Bale but we did....when top players want to go they tend to get their way (modric had to wait a year but still it happened) All im saying is that Levy may have the intention for it to be a quiet summer on the transfer front but it could easily be the opposite. What if Lamela and his father demand to go back to Italy?? we get a great offer from A Madrid for Soldado who have D Costa money to burn?? a 30 mill offer for Vertonghen from Emirates Marketing Project?? Ade receives a mega offer from a Turkish club?? 25 mill offers for Paulinho from Zenit and Real after he has a great World cup. If the new manager/or TS feel these players are surplus to requirements then they will be shipped off in no time.......like you say, a lot depends on what the manager wants, thats why im saying that its foolish to expect little changes when it could easily be a busy time instead.

we didnt need to sell Berbatov, Keane, Modric, VDV, Bale but we did....when top players want to go they tend to get their way (modric had to wait a year but still it happened) All im saying is that Levy may have the intention for it to be a quiet summer on the transfer front but it could easily be the opposite. What if Lamela and his father demand to go back to Italy?? we get a great offer from A Madrid for Soldado who have D Costa money to burn?? a 30 mill offer for Vertonghen from Emirates Marketing Project?? Ade receives a mega offer from a Turkish club?? 25 mill offers for Paulinho from Zenit and Real after he has a great World cup. If the new manager/or TS feel these players are surplus to requirements then they will be shipped off in no time.......like you say, a lot depends on what the manager wants, thats why im saying that its foolish to expect little changes when it could easily be a busy time instead.

Agreed, however all those players were sold from a performing team when they were at the high of their games, harder for players to force moves when they and team in general have been performing poorly.

I expect it will be busy, new manager, and probably at least 9 changes to squad, the goal has to be minimum first team changes.

To your point, it's spin to a great extent from Levy, I think directionally it's right, how it plays out might be very different.

Agreed on most of these, though I don't think Griezmann is getable. I think he'll be in demand for all the biggest clubs in the world. Konoplyanka would make me happy though.

Haven't seen much of Blind or Clasie, but have heard good things.

I still think that if Lukaku is available for anything around 20 million, we have to go for it.

In response to whoever said, why would Chelsea sell Lukaku and not Torres, Ba, or Eto'o? Torres is on gigantic wages, nobody would pay them a big transfer to take on a player of his age and form on those wages. Eto'o is a free agent, and Ba has dodgy knees and a contract that runs out in 18 months. Lukaku is the only one who they can command a big transfer fee for.

A 20 year-old who has scored 1 in 2 in two seasons of English football, who offers excellent hold-up play is one we HAVE to be interested in. He's surprisingly versatile. He leads the line for Everton on his own, but at WBA, he played w/ Long and Odemwingie at times and even played on the right in a sort of Hulk role.

This is the guy we really need.

if they re-sign Caulker the ball watcher I'll probably throw my ST away.

How about Halilovic? Has his move to Barca squeezed under their transfer embargo? If it wasn't signed off it may now flounder. Presumably they could put together a dodgy loan with option to buy in 2 years or something. But that is why they are in this mess, from bending the transfer rules!

Read that Man U are prepared to let Powell go, if true we should be all over that. It would be like them letting Progba go he will need a season on loan somewhere in the prem first but he is going to be a top player like Barkley, Shaw and Lallana.

Back