• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Gazza

What was the doc like?

Interesting. Thought it was too slow paced to cover his career without realising there are multiple episodes. Given that, I thought they could have gone deeper on some stuff.

I lived through Gazzamania but was relatively young so didn't appreciate a lot of what went on. If last night was accurate, we have a lot of responsibility for what happened to him. He was basically let do what he wanted in London despite being young and clearly having issues. It was a different time but Fergie shielded Giggs from that nonsense just a year or two later. Gazza also clearly had a lot of hangers on. If we were partially responsible for his downfall, we weren't the only ones by a long shot.

And what a talent he was. Incredible footballer.

Interesting. Thought it was too slow paced to cover his career without realising there are multiple episodes. Given that, I thought they could have gone deeper on some stuff.

I lived through Gazzamania but was relatively young so didn't appreciate a lot of what went on. If last night was accurate, we have a lot of responsibility for what happened to him. He was basically let do what he wanted in London despite being young and clearly having issues. It was a different time but Fergie shielded Giggs from that nonsense just a year or two later. Gazza also clearly had a lot of hangers on. If we were partially responsible for his downfall, we weren't the only ones by a long shot.

And what a talent he was. Incredible footballer.
I guess the flip side to the Fergie vs Venables argument is Lee Sharpe, who went off the rails and was a proper party boy. I reckon Giggs was just easier to protect, some players are more focused/serious than others. Also there was a massive drinking culture at Utd at that time under Fergie, with Robson, McGrath, Mcclair and a few others, I personally think he’d have been a lot worse off.

I guess the flip side to the Fergie vs Venables argument is Lee Sharpe, who went off the rails and was a proper party boy. I reckon Giggs was just easier to protect, some players are more focused/serious than others. Also there was a massive drinking culture at Utd at that time under Fergie, with Robson, McGrath, Mcclair and a few others, I personally think he’d have been a lot worse off.

Yeah I think that's fair although Fergie was on the way to sorting that out. It's easy to judge 1990 by today's standards too. The lad clearly had issues and no one protected him. But that was how it was back then. And Gazza does have to take some responsibility for his own actions too.

His talent though...he could dribble from midfield like a Dembele but he had end product. Different player but so gifted.

Back