• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Gary Mabbutt Always my Captain

Sounds like Mabbsy was being a little TOO honest and open tbh.
whoops......surprised he was so honest tbh.

He has a great reputation for integrity and openness but it sounds like he might have been a little too honest this time.

Brings back a memory of his early days with us when after being dropped following a run of somewhat indifferent form he did not hold back from publicly getting a dig at Burkinshaw when interviewed about it afterwards. Was all the more surprising given his gentlemanly persona.

whoops......surprised he was so honest tbh. Regarding Levy and Baldini versus Mitchell and Poch, I think there is no need for it to be as such. All that needs to happen is for Poch and Mitchell to identify the players we want, Baldini to then go and negotiate with the selling club and player and come to a deal, and then Levy to write the cheque. It has all the makings of being an excellent set up if each person sticks to his role

About Bale, with our wage structure we couldnt go out and just buy two top class players who would have demanded massive salaries. Its not a road that Levy wants to go down. Also, with no CL on offer, its near on impossible to get players of that standard. Sorry Mabs you should know better

He did mention we would need to have upped our wage structure. Still..... paying 2 players big wages prob works out cheaper than buying 7 on normal wages.

My son age 9 was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes in May this year, a big shock and a very steep learning curve.
I emailed the club a few weeks ago to ask if Gary could maybe send him a card to help show him how people can excel with this condition.

So anyway instead of a card Gary has just phoned him directly and spoke to him for over 20 minutes! Asked him all sorts of questions
and gave him loads of advice.

Made a little boys year and mine to be fair!!

Spur mac, Reading this reminds me of when my daughter was also diagnosed with diabetes at the age of 9. She's now 23 and leads a very heathy and active life.

It was absolutely heartbreaking at the time and but trust me it gets better.

if you cut mabbs open, he would bleed blue and white, such a great ambassador for us on and off the field

He did mention we would need to have upped our wage structure. Still..... paying 2 players big wages prob works out cheaper than buying 7 on normal wages.

thats just not the way Levy operates

Don't worry Mabbsy .......you're guest of honour at The Torch every time we're there.

'When Gal went up to lift the FA Cup i was there....i was there'

Mabbsy2.jpg

Last edited:
Wow.

Disappointing how indiscrete he is, given that he still works with the club as a host and he had no idea who you were.

I am not doubting the op but I have met Gary quite a few times and its very unlike him to talk out of school.

In the short term perhaps but once the other players get wind of the star signings' salaries their agents will soon be banging on Levy' door demanding a pay rise.

Plus making mega-money signings does not guarantee that they will take the league by storm, as ARSEnal have discovered with Ozil and ManU with Di Maria.
Someone knows if this is true:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02np5n1

That is a lot of staples :eek:
There was a longer interview with Mabbutt on the BBC London news this evening, from around 17:00

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b05p5h41/bbc-london-news-09042015

Fantastic! What a man.

I remember about 30 years ago around 1984 I was 10 and Gary Mabbutt came to our school to talk about how diabetes had not restricted him and he was still able to play professional football despite his condition and he had to inject himself with insulin at half time... and I'll always remember him talking about "that battling cauldron of midfield".

Thirty years on and he's still doing it, what a gent.

He came to my school and gave that talk too. Lovely bloke, still got his autograph from that day!

Forgot he was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. Fair dues to the guy. Met him as a kid on a WHL tour and he was so engaging as a guide. Made the whole day for us kids. Spurs legend.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...30inch-scar-five-hour-operation-save-leg.html

Gary Mabbutt left with 30inch scar after five hour operation to save his leg when his diabetes caused clogged artery
  • Spurs legend woke up in middle of the night to find his leg was cold
  • Mabbutt diagnosed with diabetes at 17 but complications had developed
  • He required the main artery to be replaced and almost lost his left leg
  • The ex-Spurs star wants to raise awareness of dangers relating to diabetes

Get well soon Gary.

Alright chaps, didn't want to start a new thread so thought I'd add in this.

Is anyone from Essex area going to the Evening with Gary Mabbutt on friday 3rd March in Chelmsford?

A couple of my mates and I have a table booked so should be a good evening.

Back