• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Gary Mabbutt Always my Captain

My favourite all-time Spurs player ever (only King gets remotely close).

One of the happiest moments of my life meeting him as a kid in the WHL car park after his testimonial

I see him every game he sits just to the right on me in an area he hosts, top top player and a proper gent too

True Tottenham legend

I got to sit next to him at the final game of the season! Legend and will always be my hero. Won a signed spurs shirt that day too! Got my photo with Howells, Sedgley and Mabs. One of the best days of my life

When you're young and diagonosed with a long-term ailment, it's easy to feel insecure and pessimistic about what the future holds. It's not like your peers have enough life experience to prop you up through a tough time.

And here he is giving a kid the benefit of his experiences and achievements as a fine way to put these sort of health circumstances into perspective and creating a positive outlook going forward. Lovely gesture.

I met him the other week at a charity event and it's fair to say I came away starstruck. They say 'never meet your idols' and Gary was an 'idol' to my family for his brave battle against diabetes. To 'they', I say 'b0llocks!'. The man is an absolute gentleman.

Managed to grab five minutes with him before I felt like I was blathering away like an idiot. He scored the first goal I ever saw live (vs Oxford in '91) and talked a little about the current team. I'm smiling now just thinking about the encounter

A great, great man.

If you've not got it, worth tracking down Mabbsy's autobiography. I read it when it came out, excellent account of his life with diabetes.

My missus is type 1 as well and i was telling the mother in law earlier about the phone call and she says 'he was always a lovely man, sent Justine a signed top for a fundraising raffle 20 odd years ago'! WTF ive been married 15 years and she never mentioned this, every person ive mentioned this to today has said the same thing....what a man!

He is a true Spurs legend indeed. Afterall, he scored in the 1987 FA Cup Final for us but then was unfortunate to score the own goal that gave Coventry the Cup. But I always remember him for forcing Des Walker to score the own goal in extra time that gave us the FA Cup in 1991. He would have scored that goal had Walker not headed in first. I used to admire his mental strength for coming back from causing our biggest Cup upset in 1987 to helping us win the Cup in 1991. Not many players can recover from that disappointment of causing his team to lose in a Cup final. But he did !

Who can forget this :
mabutt-cup-91.jpg

Boom shaka laka more players with his mental strength now !

never heard a bad comment ever about mabbs, like graham "I would run thru walls for Tottenham" roberts, he's tottenham 100%, they don't make them like him anymore

I was in the gym the other day and I see this guy on the cross trainer. My eyes aren't the best so I looked over and thought "I'm sure that's Gary Mabbutt" I noticed he had Spurs training gear on so thought it must be him.

I waited for him to go over to the water fountain and I waited behind him. I looked at said " hi Gary. I thought that was you" so told him I was a Spurs fan and we chatted for about 10 mins.

He talks a hell of a lot which was great. He is still very much motivated by Tottenham and the enthusiasm is clearly still there. He asked me what I thought etc etc.

We got onto the subject of Baldini " I said I don't have a clue how he is still in a job" Mabbutt said "yeh no one does" he said at least we have got Mitchell now who is a top guy. He said levy is a shrewd businessman and he likes to get involved. He said that he hoped it wouldn't be Levy and Baldini VS poch and Mitchell when it comes to signings and working together.

He mentioned that when we sold Bale we should have done what Chelsea did. Chelsea needed to add some attacking threats so they bought two player. Costa and Fabregas. He said we should have done something similar rather than buy all those players which hasn't turned out great for us.

He said he was a bit worried about the start of,the season as it didn't look like anything was coming together or working. He said slowly slowly we will get there and the young players such as Kane and Mason have proven that we have the players In the set up already to improve further.

The rest of the conversation was just general Spurs talk nothing special.

He is a great guy and you can tell he still loves and cares for Spurs. Top Bloke!

Did you get his number?

Along with Ledley he's a club legend, and all round nice guy. Interesting to hear what he had to say about transfers and the future, which sounds spot on. Great guy to have around the club. We are a classy outfit, tend not to have the scumbags that other clubs seem to amass.

Last edited:
Did you get his number?

Along with Ledley he's a club legend, and all round nice guy. Interesting to hear what he had to say about transfers and the future, which sounds spot on. Great guy to have around the club. We are a classy outfit, tend not to have the scumbags that other clubs seem to amass.

We did have Ben Thatcher & Alan Hutton :( amongst others

I was in the gym the other day and I see this guy on the cross trainer. My eyes aren't the best so I looked over and thought "I'm sure that's Gary Mabbutt" I noticed he had Spurs training gear on so thought it must be him.

I waited for him to go over to the water fountain and I waited behind him. I looked at said " hi Gary. I thought that was you" so told him I was a Spurs fan and we chatted for about 10 mins.

He talks a hell of a lot which was great. He is still very much motivated by Tottenham and the enthusiasm is clearly still there. He asked me what I thought etc etc.

We got onto the subject of Baldini " I said I don't have a clue how he is still in a job" Mabbutt said "yeh no one does" he said at least we have got Mitchell now who is a top guy. He said levy is a shrewd businessman and he likes to get involved. He said that he hoped it wouldn't be Levy and Baldini VS poch and Mitchell when it comes to signings and working together.

He mentioned that when we sold Bale we should have done what Chelsea did. Chelsea needed to add some attacking threats so they bought two player. Costa and Fabregas. He said we should have done something similar rather than buy all those players which hasn't turned out great for us.

He said he was a bit worried about the start of,the season as it didn't look like anything was coming together or working. He said slowly slowly we will get there and the young players such as Kane and Mason have proven that we have the players In the set up already to improve further.

The rest of the conversation was just general Spurs talk nothing special.

He is a great guy and you can tell he still loves and cares for Spurs. Top Bloke!

Wow.

Disappointing how indiscrete he is, given that he still works with the club as a host and he had no idea who you were.

Incredible that he only got 16 England caps, but even more unbelievable is that Perryman only got 1.

whoops......surprised he was so honest tbh. Regarding Levy and Baldini versus Mitchell and Poch, I think there is no need for it to be as such. All that needs to happen is for Poch and Mitchell to identify the players we want, Baldini to then go and negotiate with the selling club and player and come to a deal, and then Levy to write the cheque. It has all the makings of being an excellent set up if each person sticks to his role

About Bale, with our wage structure we couldnt go out and just buy two top class players who would have demanded massive salaries. Its not a road that Levy wants to go down. Also, with no CL on offer, its near on impossible to get players of that standard. Sorry Mabs you should know better

Back