• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Garry Hooper,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hardly the same.

Lewandowski is scoring goals in CL level, winning leagues with Dortmund. Berbatov was playing for Leverkusen and scoring. It would literally be the same as if we signed Kiessling and I imagine he'd cost us about £10-£12m too.

... in the European Cup final

Berbatov and Klose was considered the two top strikers of Bundesliga when we signed him.
46 league goals in his two last seasons, 5 goals (10 games) in the 2004/05 Champions League season, part of the Leverkusen Champions League final team, 31 caps 23 goals for Bulgaria in the three years prior to joining us.
He wasn't a hidden gem we found, even if many Spurs fans hadn't heard of him before.
Think Lewandowski status is very comparable, only difference is that Dortmund is a more financial solid team making a deal difficult (expensive) and that Berbatov didn't have an international tournament to show case his talent with Bulgaria, as Lewandowski had with Poland.

Hardly the same.

Lewandowski is scoring goals in CL level, winning leagues with Dortmund. Berbatov was playing for Leverkusen and scoring. It would literally be the same as if we signed Kiessling and I imagine he'd cost us about £10-£12m too.

I guess it was a different Leverkusen that made it to a CL final.

Lewandowski played for Znicz Pruszków at the same age that Berbatov was when he came on in the Champions League final,
Berbatov did great in the next full Champions League season they qualified for.

I know football is in a bubble universe, but I still believe, in the most, that market prices have not risen substantially, especially not 2 fold, in the last 7 years.

The football world has also been affected by the global financial meltdown.

I guess it was a different Leverkusen that made it to a CL final.

Of course. But I don't see what that has to do with anything, it's a different era completely. Dortmund are seen bigger than Leverkusen are, especially now. And probably much better now than Leverkusen were back in 02. Plus the fact we have those inflated prices nowadays.

I know football is in a bubble universe, but I still believe, in the most, that market prices have not risen substantially, especially not 2 fold, in the last 7 years.

The football world has also been affected by the global financial meltdown.

Torres and Carroll would like to disagree with you.

Those are isolated cases but the financial giants have caused chaos with the upper end of the transfer market.

Those are isolated cases but the financial giants have caused chaos with the upper end of the transfer market.

I agree, but as I pointed out earlier there were always isolated incidents, Ronaldinho to Barca 30m, Kaka to Real, Beckham to Real, Blimey we can back to veron to Man Utd way back when or Rio to Leeds.... there have always been landmark transfers.

Please someone find a player with Berbatov credentials when we bought him for 10m. I want a list of these players. I'd hazard a guess they would all be nearing 20m unless contract years come into play with current side.

15m is not 'spending big' if we're talking about a striker.
We need to cough up 25m at least to get a top striker.
I'm sick of it. Strikers cost a lot more money than any other position. Stop trying to get bargains and get the striker we've needed since Berbatov left.

:lol:

25 mill plus the wages with it :)

oh, and not many 25 mill rated strikers want to come to Spurs. Someone like Llorente would rather join Juve. Lewandowski prefers Man Utd etc

give us some names. who are these 25 mill rated strikers willing to come to Spurs? actually, the top strikers cost more than 25 mill. Cavani? Falcao? Aguero? all will cost more than 40 mill

Well we know what striker AVB wants. Just like we know which centre mid and attacking mid/winger he wants.

Well we know what striker AVB wants. Just like we know which centre mid and attacking mid/winger he wants.

Leandro...yes

Moutinho....imo AVB has accepted this one is over and Holtby will have to do

Willian...yes

Those are pretty misleading transfers to lead with.

Torres was vastly overpriced granted, but I don't think Carolls price is a fair reflection of the business Liverpool did.
They effectively met Newcastles horrific pricing by charging the excess to Chelsea. Plus they would have avoided putting him on a top salary whilst ditching one of their biggest earners.

I'm not saying Torres was a free transfer but effectively it was £20m+Carroll for Torres, pretty good business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back