• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Gareth Bale

Just been away for a few days, Id actually forgotten we had sold him until I saw a paper today boooooooooooooooooooo

TransWorld sport, not to mention all of the continental coverage mid week plus if he was anything like most of us he'd be religiously reading Match and Shoot every week.

oh, and what is going on with that livestrong band, he's wearing it in the FIFA ad as well, I wonder if he is gonna be the new public face of the charity.

It will be interesting to see if he improves playing with better players and hopefully referees who will give correct decisions unlike the bungling clods who persecuted him in the EPL last term.

I doubt if both he and Ronaldo will be playing together next season whatever happens.

Gareth ain't worth the money but maybe he will be worth it soon.

Persecuted? Really?

Look last season he was unfairly booked on more than one occasion for diving, but he's a serial diver, everyone knows it.

As for how he will do in Madrid, I actually think he will do well, and by well I mean he'll score around 20 league goals. Whether that is enough to satisfy the Madrid fans I doubt it. Certainly won't be enough to justify his transfer fee. Ronaldo went for £80m but he's scored more than 1 goal a game since he left United, can't see Bale getting those types of numbers.

Persecuted? Really?

Look last season he was unfairly booked on more than one occasion for diving, but he's a serial diver, everyone knows it.

As for how he will do in Madrid, I actually think he will do well, and by well I mean he'll score around 20 league goals. Whether that is enough to satisfy the Madrid fans I doubt it. Certainly won't be enough to justify his transfer fee. Ronaldo went for £80m but he's scored more than 1 goal a game since he left United, can't see Bale getting those types of numbers.

I couldn't disagree more, mate. He dived a few times, got a few bookings - of which a few were deserved, while others were actually outrageously unfair - and was then singled out by the media and refs. He then improved, cut down on the dives massively, but was still unfairly punished so, so many times.

I can't remember who we played, but the incompetent refereeing culiminated in one of the final games of the season, when Bale was running full speed into the opposition box, a defender climbed/jumped onto his back to make them both tumble to the ground - and then Bale got booked for diving. That was one of the worst refereeing decisions I have ever witnessed.

He's no saint, certainly, but to call him a serial diver, is just plain wrong. Suarez is a serial diver. Bale is not. IMO.

I couldn't disagree more, mate. He dived a few times, got a few bookings - of which a few were deserved, while others were actually outrageously unfair - and was then singled out by the media and refs. He then improved, cut down on the dives massively, but was still unfairly punished so, so many times.

I can't remember who we played, but the incompetent refereeing culiminated in one of the final games of the season, when Bale was running full speed into the opposition box, a defender climbed/jumped onto his back to make them both tumble to the ground - and then Bale got booked for diving. That was one of the worst refereeing decisions I have ever witnessed.

He's no saint, certainly, but to call him a serial diver, is just plain wrong. Suarez is a serial diver. Bale is not. IMO.

I'm talking about his entire career just to clarify. Yes last season I agree he got some harsh bookings, but there were also occasions when he was lucky not to be booked, I'm thinking Villa at home when Guzan didn't even touch him, but Bale still went to ground. I've noticed his diving at Spurs for at least 3 years, not just last season. The term "serial offender" means when someone keeps breaking laws/rules etc. So baring that in mind, I don't think it's harsh to call him that.

I do agree some players do get away it, especially English players. Linekar, Rooney, Owen, Ashley Cole and Ashley Young for example have dived numerous times over the course of their careers, but the English media and supporters don't care when our players do it, it's a "foreign disease" which is sanctomonious and wrong.

I think that Guzan one was deceptive, as you say there was no contact but at the point at which Bale "dived" it looked like Guzan was gonna clatter him

I think that Guzan one was deceptive, as you say there was no contact but at the point at which Bale "dived" it looked like Guzan was gonna clatter him

Sorry mate but if you had players going to ground every time it "looked like" someone was going to get clattered the game would be my favourite buttplug. It's been heading that way too much as it is what with tackling being almost outlawed and players diving in attempt to con the refs.

Sorry mate but if you had players going to ground every time it "looked like" someone was going to get clattered the game would be my favourite buttplug. It's been heading that way too much as it is what with tackling being almost outlawed and players diving in attempt to con the refs.

i agree generally, but in this case alone Guzan really was winding up to knock the ball out of the stadium, i remember wincing as it happened as it looked inevitable

i agree generally, but in this case alone Guzan really was winding up to knock the ball out of the stadium, i remember wincing as it happened as it looked inevitable

Exactly that Guzan one was done to death last season, bringing it back up like it's fact that he blatantly dived and wasn't just trying to avoid getting broken in half, ignores the pages upon pages of perfectly reasonable and acceptable arguments and counter arguments, silly really.

Exactly that Guzan one was done to death last season, bringing it back up like it's fact that he blatantly dived and wasn't just trying to avoid getting broken in half, ignores the pages upon pages of perfectly reasonable and acceptable arguments and counter arguments, silly really.

Why is it silly? It seems like were only allowed to mention the subject if were defending him, if you're having a go at him you get "why not just remember the good times, why criticise him for diving when he's avoiding injury" and so on. This is a Spurs/football discussion forum. I'm not trying to antagonise people, I genuinely like to argue one point of view against another. I seem to remember the forum was split about the Guzan incident when it happened.

Was among those who hammered him on occasion but tbf he'd pretty much cut it out by the end of the season. Problem was as Gazza says the refs just carried on booking him regardless. Fundamentally Bale is a gentleman and therefore easy prey for pumping their own egos. If he'd been playing for Man U at OT in front of SAF chances are they'd have awarded a penalty every time.

Was among those who hammered him on occasion but tbf he'd pretty much cut it out by the end of the season. Problem was as Gazza says the refs just carried on booking him regardless. Fundamentally Bale is a gentleman and therefore easy prey for pumping their own egos. If he'd been playing for Man U at OT in front of SAF chances are they'd have awarded a penalty every time.

Absolutely agree with that.

I agree he was the victim of his reputation on more than one occasion last season. The one against Stoke was a nailed on pen, wasn't booked but should have been a pen. The last game of the season I seem to recall him being booked wrongly. There was another one against Sunderland (in the away game this time) which I'm still not sure if it was a penalty as there was "contact" but contact in itself isn't a foul. 95% of players would have gone to ground in the same situation tbf.

Wasn't he 8 in that picture though, which being 24 would mean 16 years ago.

Thinking back 16 years ago there never was the coverage there is now on foreign clubs, most players were known through there countries and then there teams.

Thinking back 60 years ago there was never the coverage of the English top flight, didnt stop people supporting teams in England that they may never have seen play in real life or on TV though!!!

I'm sure Bale wasn't a true Real Madrid fan and I don't think he's claimed to be, but he could be a "fan" from distance.

Move to Classics.....it's done. People may want to comment upon him in future but we don't have a separate thread for Modric or Huddlestone etc time to move on.

Move to classics and start a new thread entitled 'what ex-Spurs players are up to' or something along those lines. Then if anyone wants to discuss old players they can.

Back