• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Gallas

Paul Parker on ESPN put forward an interesting argument regarding Gallas. When asked why we always concede goals in the last 10 mins, Parker blamed it on Gallas not being a natural Centre Back. Parker said Gallas was not being played in defence initially for Chelsea but forced them to be played as CB later. Any truth in this ?

Paul Parker on ESPN put forward an interesting argument regarding Gallas. When asked why we always concede goals in the last 10 mins, Parker blamed it on Gallas not being a natural Centre Back. Parker said Gallas was not being played in defence initially for Chelsea but forced them to be played as CB later. Any truth in this ?

He was often played as LB at Chelsea, but CB is his favoured position.

He was often played as LB at Chelsea, but CB is his favoured position.

reason being the LB needs to run more than the CB.

i agree with paul parker, gallas is the weak link and we have caulker and walker compensating for his lack of "legs".

dawson and caulker were a confidence inspiring mobile defensive unit. with gallas if often looks like there is an invisible tether between him and his partering CB.

i can understand why AVB wants to sell Dawson in favour of a ball playing CB. but I don't see how Gallas is any improvement other than to help Caulker in his development.

When BAE or Kaboul back, I'm hoping to see Gallas dropped like a hot potato.

You are not allowed to call 'mine' during games - he needs to call by name - i.e. 'Hugo', 'Lloris' or 'Keeper'

Pretty sure this stupid ancient rule was removed years ago.. could be wrong though.

EDIT: Apparently it was never even an official rule!
This question has been asked on many occasions in recent times. You are indeed 100% correct that there is no such law in the Laws of the Game.
What the Laws state is that verbal distraction of an opponent during play or at a restart is a cautionable offence. The restart after the caution is an IDFK.
What has happened over the years is that a myth has developed in the game that not using a name in calling for the ball or giving instructions to a team mate without using a name is an indirect free kick. Unfortunately that myth continues with teams insisting that player use a name and referees awarding an IDFK only.

Last edited:
Pretty sure this stupid ancient rule was removed years ago.. could be wrong though.

It is considered unsporting behaviour to try and 'decieve' your opponent

LAW 12 – FOULS AND MISCONDUCT

Cautions for unsporting behaviour

There are different circumstances when a player must be cautioned for unsporting behaviour, e.g. if a player:

• verbally distracts an opponent during play or at a restart

Tottenham skipper William Gallas admits they've held crunch talks with manager Andre Villas-Boas over their defending.

Gallas admitted the players had recently been studying specific footage of their games in an attempt to correct these flaws.

“We’ve had a meeting with him because we’ve been conceding late goals and we have to be a little bit more focused, a bit more strong,” said the French defender. “Sometimes maybe we are panicking and we’ve let goals in.

“So we’ve been working very hard and we’ve had some meetings to look at the video to see what is good and bad, and against Swansea it was good to keep a clean sheet.

“In this period, we have a lot of games and some players are tired – they have already played more than 20 games this season, which is a lot. It’s very intense.

“If we want to stay in the top four, we have to get all the players ready for the matches over Christmas and New Year, because we are going to be playing four games in 11 days.”

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/gallas-reveals-defensive-crisis-talks-spurs-boss-villas-boas-3702561

Tottenham skipper William Gallas admits they've held crunch talks with manager Andre Villas-Boas over their defending.

Gallas admitted the players had recently been studying specific footage of their games in an attempt to correct these flaws.

“We’ve had a meeting with him because we’ve been conceding late goals and we have to be a little bit more focused, a bit more strong,” said the French defender. “Sometimes maybe we are panicking and we’ve let goals in.

“So we’ve been working very hard and we’ve had some meetings to look at the video to see what is good and bad, and against Swansea it was good to keep a clean sheet.

“In this period, we have a lot of games and some players are tired – they have already played more than 20 games this season, which is a lot. It’s very intense.

“If we want to stay in the top four, we have to get all the players ready for the matches over Christmas and New Year, because we are going to be playing four games in 11 days.”

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/gallas-reveals-defensive-crisis-talks-spurs-boss-villas-boas-3702561

My theory is that Gallas is one of the root causes of this panic. The Swansea game was much better but at one point after we had scored a high ball was hit towards Gallas. There was literally nobody within 20 yards of him. Instead of taking it down and hitting a simple pass he fired it back up-field and conceded possession. You could almost see his though process - get it rid and worry about it later. All is need in most cases is a little composure and trust in your own ability.

It great to hear they are trying to address the problem though.

My theory is that Gallas is one of the root causes of this panic. The Swansea game was much better but at one point after we had scored a high ball was hit towards Gallas. There was literally nobody within 20 yards of him. Instead of taking it down and hitting a simple pass he fired it back up-field and conceded possession. You could almost see his though process - get it rid and worry about it later. All is need in most cases is a little composure and trust in your own ability.

It great to hear they are trying to address the problem though.

It is bloody obvious he is one of the root causes, he is always panicking. Ball comes near him and his first thought is to blat it out of of the area giving the ball back to the opposition. He isn't the only one who does this but one of the most guilty. It is good that he is aware of this failing, but talk is cheap. Action is necessary.

ill never understand the hate gallas gets around here.. it's bewildering

I don't think he gets much hate really. But he's looked shaky in the majority of games he's played this season - so the criticism is understandable.

I don't think he gets much hate really. But he's looked shaky in the majority of games he's played this season - so the criticism is understandable.
This. When has Gallas been called a 'Gooner ****' or anything like that recently? None, he's just had a very poor season and isn't good enough to start for this club anymore.

One thing I think that doesn't help is when Vertonghen and Gallas play next to each other - Vertonghen usually looks to cover and Gallas looks to play offside. There is NO point in attempting to play people offside if the whole defence isn't on the same page. Walker doesn't help either. But I think AVB needs to address this - either stop playing offside or ensure that The whole defence is on the same level.

Time to consider a recall? Was the defender on Thursday. The lack of communication at the back has been quite shocking of late. Dawson and Vertonghoen give me the chills and Gallas's experience could be crucial in the squeaky bum games coming up....

Time to consider a recall? Was the defender on Thursday. The lack of communication at the back has been quite shocking of late. Dawson and Vertonghoen give me the chills and Gallas's experience could be crucial in the squeaky bum games coming up....

Not sure if serious... :-k

Dawson and Vertonghen have played perfectly well recently. What games have you been watching?

Dawson particularly has improved significantly recently and was outstanding against Saudi Sportswashing Machine.
Yes, Gallas played well. But he should be nowhere near our starting eleven ever again..

Fair shout, but if we're gonna recall Gallas I'd rather it was for Verthongen than Dawson right now. Verts may have the better footballing skills and he's certainly capable of pulling out King-esque saving tackles but he often looks disinterested nowadays, an accusation you could never level at Daws.

Are you wearing Contradiction by Calvin Kline? Gallas played well but you don't want him anywhere near our starting eleven because he played well??? Que?

He is simply past it. He may be able to deal with a brick Lyon team but not with players like RVP, etc..
This is the same player that got tore a new one against Chelsea at the Lane.

Too old now. Look to the future and move on. I only want him playing games like this.

It is considered unsporting behaviour to try and 'decieve' your opponent

LAW 12 – FOULS AND MISCONDUCT

Cautions for unsporting behaviour

There are different circumstances when a player must be cautioned for unsporting behaviour, e.g. if a player:

• verbally distracts an opponent during play or at a restart
My son is a qualified ref-he says you're wrong. :gav:

;)

Back