• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Future food and surviving the zombie apocalapse

Bo it can't be brushed off, but again you are looking at the symptoms not the cause.
Why do we need all the food, to feed the ever growing population.
No, you're looking at it the wrong way. You're saying each person must consume more and more, Aurora is saying the opposite. I.e. it is fine to have more people, just make them use fewer resources.

Whereas I am saying we only use a tiny fraction of the available land.
And only harvest a tiny fraction of the solar power which blasts this planet every day. We let 99.9999999% of that energy just disappear, and then moan we don't have enough power.

No, you're looking at it the wrong way. You're saying each person must consume more and more, Aurora is saying the opposite. I.e. it is fine to have more people, just make them use fewer resources.

Whereas I am saying we only use a tiny fraction of the available land.
And only harvest a tiny fraction of the solar power which blasts this planet every day. We let 99.9999999% of that energy just disappear, and then moan we don't have enough power.

I'm not saying more people must consume more, there will be more people so there will be more consumption.
Re solar power, it doesn't just fall on the ground and we go and collect it in a wheelbarrow. It needs infrastructure, it also needs storage as the sun doesn't shine all day. Both of which require resources, and again more people=more power = more resources. These resources are finite, we need to make the supply of people requiring them isn't.

I can't put it any simpler than this,
Q Whats causing climate change?
A. People
So in what way does having an ever increasing population stop climate change.

The present, present rate mind and the rate will only go up, is 1 billion people per decade.

To be pedantic the sun's resources are effectively infinite, and we don't need to store it, just balance the demand with other renewables. There will be more sun and wind tomorrow.
Within a decade our energy production capabilities will not be a major issue. Our speed to transition off fossil fuel to renewable sources is the real issue. It has traction now but it maybe already too late. We're in damage limitation territory.

Yes the sun will last longer than us, but it doesn't change the fact that it is useless unless we collect and convert it, both of which need resources which are finite.

Yes the sun will last longer than us, but it doesn't change the fact that it is useless unless we collect and convert it, both of which need resources which are finite.
This is true but the materials for solar panels are not at all rare and this is a nascent industry in a lot of ways. PV panel efficiency is increasing year on year so per unit raw materials is on the down slope. For example, the average 3-bed semi-D uses say 4kw per annum. A few years ago that would have taken 30 PV panels to produce. Now you could supply that with half that or less. The tech is getting better and the price is dropping fast. If you had the roof space you could effectively go off grid with a relatively modest investment now.

The resource bottleneck is more to do with batteries and their dependance on cobalt. This is rare and is mostly mined in the Congo which is not a safe place to work. If you want an interesting read google 'cobalt mining erik prince'. That scumbag is literally muscling in on that market. However, battery tech is evolving too so maybe cobalt will not such a key material going forward.

I get your point that resources are finite, I do, but I beleive you are pointing your guns at the wrong target. The energy market is adapting to renewables tech at an increasing rate. It maybe too little too late but even as a bonfide tree hugger this is one thing I'm not too worried about.

Last edited:
This is true but the materials for solar panels are not at all rare and this is a nascent industry in a lot of ways. PV panel efficieny is increasing year on year so per unit raw materials is on the down slope. For example, the average 3-bed semi-D uses say 4kw per annum. A few years ago that would have taken 30 PV panels to produce. Now you could supply that with half that or less. The tech is getting better and the price is dropping fast. If you had the roof space you could effectively go off grid with a relatively modest investment now.

The resource bottleneck is more to do with batteries and their dependance on cobalt. This is rare and is mostly mined in the Congo which is not a safe place to work. If you want an interesting read google 'cobalt mining erik prince'. That scumbag is literally muscling in on that market. However, battery tech is evolving too so maybe cobalt will not such a key material going forward.

I get your point that resources are finite, I do, but I beleive you are pointing your guns at the wrong target. The energy market is adapting to renewables tech at an increasing rate. It maybe too little too late but even as a bonfide tree hugger this is one thing I'm not too worried about.

I'm not pointing my gun at solar, I was answering the previous post re solar.
Posts such as 'oh it will all be OK we have solar sorted now' address one issue (and not completely IMHO, but I'm sure you're not surprised by that:)) and use it to dismiss a very complex issue.
I understand that solar is getting better, but it needs to be stored and the mining of the minerals for those are as devastating to the environment as oil.
You allude to it yourself, improving one area just throws up problems elsewhere.

I'm not pointing my gun at solar, I was answering the previous post re solar.
Posts such as 'oh it will all be OK we have solar sorted now' address one issue (and not completely IMHO, but I'm sure you're not surprised by that:)) and use it to dismiss a very complex issue.
I understand that solar is getting better, but it needs to be stored and the mining of the minerals for those are as devastating to the environment as oil.
You allude to it yourself, improving one area just throws up problems elsewhere.
You are putting words in my mouth. We were talking about solar so I expanded on that. Not talking about other concerns does not dismiss them as you are suggesting. Let's leave it there or I'll be typing all day ;)

You are putting words in my mouth. We were talking about solar so I expanded on that. Not talking about other concerns does not dismiss them as you are suggesting. Let's leave it there or I'll be typing all day ;)

Sorry, I wasn't meaning you but the post that I was answering beforehand, I think it was bullet.

I will post this link, should have it before, and leave it at that as I think I'm beginning to annoy people and that's not my intention.

It's a lecture by David attenborough and I would encourage everyone to watch it.

49D1B9A400000578-5460545-Empty_shelves_at_a_Tesco_in_Plymouth_Devon_Experts_have_warned_t-a-24_1520190593897.jpg

Think it's coming......
End of days? Zeke? I don't think so but we're in for a massive slap fest from nature for acting like dingdongs for so long. Bizarrely covid-19 has helped bring down carbon emissions more successfully than anything else I can think of. When I finish this bottle of wine that idea will have morphed into a more colorful narrative of Gaia trying to rid itself of the parasites infesting its skin.

This virus isn't the big one though. This is another warning shot like SARS or MERS, and maybe one that might actually wake us up finally,. The big one will be like covid-19 in that it can spread quickly, largely undetected, but has a much higher fatality rate at the end.

End of days? Zeke? I don't think so but we're in for a massive slap fest from nature for acting like dingdongs for so long. Bizarrely covid-19 has helped bring down carbon emissions more successfully than anything else I can think of. When I finish this bottle of wine that idea will have morphed into a more colorful narrative of Gaia trying to rid itself of the parasites infesting its skin.

This virus isn't the big one though. This is another warning shot like SARS or MERS, and maybe one that might actually wake us up finally,. The big one will be like covid-19 in that it can spread quickly, largely undetected, but has a much higher fatality rate at the end.

Absolutely agree with your concluding point.

Back