• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Fully fit and firing starting 11 and formation?

Lloris
Aurier Sanchez Toby Davies
Sissoko Ndombele
Son Lo Celso Alli
Kane

Squad : Vorm, Verts, Foyth, Tanganga, Sess, Dier, Winks, Skipp, Lamela, Bergwin, Moura, Gedson

Big squad tbh.

Lloris
Aurier Sanchez Toby Davies
Sissoko Ndombele
Son Lo Celso Alli
Kane

Squad : Vorm, Verts, Foyth, Tanganga, Sess, Dier, Winks, Skipp, Lamela, Bergwin, Moura, Gedson

Big squad tbh.
Zero width on the left in that team though. Makes it very easy to defend against. Swap Son and Dele's positions perhaps?

Last edited:
I always find these amusing as it's saying we're at the level where it doesn't matter who we're up against. The opposition's potential formation and line up is something of importance when picking a team, as much as we'd love it for it all to be about us.

Anyways, if all fit and available we all know it'd be 11 Sissokos.

Had a brainwave on how we might make this utter brick show of a squad into something which might have a passing semblance of being balanced, whilst also having a bit of like for like cover.

I’ve worked on the basis that the following players are off-ski; Jan, Foyth, KWP, Rose & Vorm.

I’ve also worked on the basis that Levy is a tight clam and will use COVID as an excuse to avoid any investment yet. So this is a Work With What You’ve Got job!

Main squad challenges are what to do with Dier, Aurier, Lucas (no assists), Dele and Ndombele. This solution may mask 4 out of 5 of those. Also, we have a single striker exposure and an aging and slow defence.

Finally, we currently have an excess of central midfielders, but there seems to be no obvious pair or trio which give a good partnership balance in either a two or a three.

But there is some good news - it’s not a midfield diamond!

Probably more bad news though; the left side certainly requires a couple of players to step up or adapt, and I’ve made no provision for Ndombele using Ocado too much during lockdown.

First things first, formation. Chelsea walked the league a couple of years back with a 3412 and I thought it looks more balanced for us.
It’s also a good springboard for changing formation mid match and allows loads of player role and tactical flexibility.

upload_2020-5-24_12-30-1.jpeg

Right wing is up for grabs but tight arse is likely to take Munier on a free.

Still no cover for Kane, but that problems not going away quickly and he least he has some support now.

Dele back to his favourite shadow striker position.

Midfield pivot is more balanced now as it doesn’t need the dedicated defensive mid.

Sess needs to step up and maybe it’s not ideal for Bergwijn. Davies is covering though from his Welsh national team position, so it’s not a problem.

Dier takes the Southgate in Euro 96 role of being the centre back who can push into midfield. Wild curve ball here - don’t get rid of Foyth, José, and he could do this job too.

+ Skipp, Parrott and Gedson to help beef up the injury cover.

Come at me bro’s!!!!

Lloris
Aurier, Sanchez, Toby, Davies
Sissoko Lo Celso
Bergwijn Dele Son
Kane

My thoughts on the above:

Sissoko (!), Lo Celso, Kane, Son and Aurier have to start almost every game.

Tough on Winks, but he would make a great squad player.

N'Dombele getting match fitness would allow us to rotate midfield nicely (Probably for Dele, would he accept this?)

We need new RB & LB desperately :)

FInal thought: That team is still quality and we should have some great football to watch! COYS!

My only question is Winks v Sissoko and Bergwijn v Alli. Winks is a more natural holder and positionally stronger than Sissoko, but Moussa adds so many more legs in there, which can help free Ndombele up to do all the things that he's so good at. Alli is a great player and it's clear Jose loves him, but the pace of Son/Bergwijn running off Kane feels like it could be a truly devestating front three.

The team I'd pick for Man U:

-------------Hugo------
Aurier--Sanchez-Toby--Davies
--Sissoko--Ndombele--Lo Celso
-Bergwijn---Kane----Sonny

The team I'd predict Jose will start

------------Hugo--------
Aurier--Sanchez-Toby---Davies
----------Winks--------
Lo Celso-------Ndombele
-----------Dele-----------
----Sonny-----Kane

Either team would be really exciting!

Bearing in mind this is everyone fully fit and firing, mine would be:

—————-———Lloris——————————
Aurier——--Toby-—-Sanchez—Davies-
——————Skipp——-Ndombele———-
——Lo Celso——-Alli——-Son—————-
————————-Kane——————————

Guess we need to know who is gonna be for nearer the time, this is Tottenham after all
I’m fully expecting Lamela to get a training injury as normal and for Ndombele go enjoy the Mcds reopening

Bearing in mind this is everyone fully fit and firing, mine would be:

—————-———Lloris——————————
Aurier——--Toby-—-Sanchez—Davies-
——————Skipp——-Ndombele———-
——Lo Celso——-Alli——-Son—————-
————————-Kane——————————

GLC far better deeper

GLC far better deeper

Yeah I think I agree, but then I think a) Ndombele has to play too, b) I don't think the two of them would make a good pairing, and c) if you play them in a trio it means playing Alli wide or playing the diamond formation. So to me it feels like the least bad option, especially with Lo Celso coming inside and deep when in possession ala Eriksen.

Yeah I think I agree, but then I think a) Ndombele has to play too, b) I don't think the two of them would make a good pairing, and c) if you play them in a trio it means playing Alli wide or playing the diamond formation. So to me it feels like the least bad option, especially with Lo Celso coming inside and deep when in possession ala Eriksen.

I havent seen anything which suggests that Ndombele has to play, *yet*. Next 9 games are huge for us so I'd pick Sissoko ahead of TN. If we get to the point where we cant make the CL, then sure, play TN so that he acclimatises more. But at the moment, its results which count

I havent seen anything which suggests that Ndombele has to play, *yet*. Next 9 games are huge for us so I'd pick Sissoko ahead of TN. If we get to the point where we cant make the CL, then sure, play TN so that he acclimatises more. But at the moment, its results which count

Yeah I was looking at it from a theoretical ‘fully fit and firing’ point of view, rather than for the next game. Can see the argument for Moussa starting ahead of Ndombele now - might depend on what Tanguy looks like in training, fitness and attitude wise!

Guess we need to know who is gonna be for nearer the time, this is Tottenham after all
I’m fully expecting Lamela to get a training injury as normal and for Ndombele go enjoy the Mcds reopening

Was just gonna say I fully expect us to have at least one injury even though there’s been no games for over 2 months. My money is on Lamela.

I’m more intrigued as to how a manager works on tactics and set up with players spread over 10 pitches

I’m sure the lockdown rules are as well observed behind closed doors as they are they are in parks across the nation.

What interests me is how Mourinho has used this impromptu preseason. He needed some time to get to grips with the players. How will we come back? How will he tweet things now he’s had some time to reflect?

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Back