• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Free on Saturday? Tottenham v Watford OMT

There is still not a lot going through the middle - Its very one dimensional
Agree and we did suffer form this last season too, but I do think it’s down to personnel. In this game:

moura - half the player on the left
Lamela - not good a releasing the ball, one footed
Sonny - needs a ball over the top or to be able to face up the last defender ideally from the left
Dele - moves into centre mid which weakened us with Ndombele being the creative option going off, I thought Clarke did ok but there were always watford bodies defending the box and they were all physically stronger than our attacking quarter.
Cirkin also offered a little in the first half from full back, Aurier’s crossing was horrendous.

when it’s Son Kane Dele Moura with Lo Celso or Ndombele as an 8, plus Doherty overlapping I’m optimistic we will create a lot more. Then Bergwijn and either Lo Celso or Ndombele would be getting rotated in, ideally with a backup for Kane Otherwise we need another AM to cover Sons absence.

Last edited:
Agree and we did suffer form this last season too, but I do think it’s down to personnel. In this game:

moura - half the player on the left
Lamela - not good a releasing the ball, one footed
Sonny - needs a ball over the top or to be able to face up the last defender ideally from the left
Dele - moves into centre mid which weakened us with Ndombele being the creative option going off, I thought Clarke did ok but there were always watford bodies defending the box and they were all physically stronger than our attacking quarter.
Cirkin also offered a little in the first half from full back, Aurier’s crossing was horrendous.

when it’s Son Kane Dele Moura with Lo Celso or Ndombele as an 8, plus Doherty overlapping one optimistic we will create a lot more. Then Bergwijn and either Lo Celso or Ndombele would be getting rotated in, ideally with a backup for Kane Otherwise we need another AM to cover Sons absence.
I'd rather see Lo Celso and Ndombele over Dele to be honest as they can be a truly creative pair whereas Dele is much better at finishing off moves rather than being the true instigator.

I doubt Jose will see it that way but I'm very concerned that we will suffer from a lack of incisiveness and invention next season as we did last season.

I'd rather see Lo Celso and Ndombele over Dele to be honest as they can be a truly creative pair whereas Dele is much better at finishing off moves rather than being the true instigator.

I doubt Jose will see it that way but I'm very concerned that we will suffer from a lack of incisiveness and invention next season as we did last season.
Dele does need to add that awareness to his game, when the goals aren’t coming he can feel like a luxury player.
I’m hopeful that he is looking to do so from the initial pre season games. Lo Celso has looked worse the further forward he is (opposite of Dele) but that could change with another season under his belt and recovery from the injury he was carrying. I see Lo Celso more of a ball carrier from deep, Ndombele has looked the better passer from the little I’ve seen but even at my most optimistic I don’t see him being trusted in midfield without Hojberg mopping up for at least the first half of the season. Dele needs the competition and Lo Celso covers a lot of ground so will be good to have a viable alternative for both.

Dele does need to add that awareness to his game, when the goals aren’t coming he can feel like a luxury player.
I’m hopeful that he is looking to do so from the initial pre season games. Lo Celso has looked worse the further forward he is (opposite of Dele) but that could change with another season under his belt and recovery from the injury he was carrying. I see Lo Celso more of a ball carrier from deep, Ndombele has looked the better passer from the little I’ve seen but even at my most optimistic I don’t see him being trusted in midfield without Hojberg mopping up for at least the first half of the season. Dele needs the competition and Lo Celso covers a lot of ground so will be good to have a viable alternative for both.

I see it very similarly to you. I rate GLC highly but I don't think he's the player to rest all of our creative hope on in the way we did with Eriksen. In some respects he can be even better for us but we have to staff the midfield correctly to get the best of him. I don't mind Dele starting ahead of Ndombele if he is effective and whatever works is what is best but in 5 years of Dele we've never seen a playmaker and I just don't think that is his game and to be honest playing that way diminishes what he is best at.

In my dream world we do what I believe was the plan from Poch and play a 3 man midfield with a DM anchoring (Hojberg) with 2 of GLC/Ndombele/Winks/Dele as the other members. Ideally to my mind GLC and Ndombele (or a replacement creative passing CM).

I see it very similarly to you. I rate GLC highly but I don't think he's the player to rest all of our creative hope on in the way we did with Eriksen. In some respects he can be even better for us but we have to staff the midfield correctly to get the best of him. I don't mind Dele starting ahead of Ndombele if he is effective and whatever works is what is best but in 5 years of Dele we've never seen a playmaker and I just don't think that is his game and to be honest playing that way diminishes what he is best at.

In my dream world we do what I believe was the plan from Poch and play a 3 man midfield with a DM anchoring (Hojberg) with 2 of GLC/Ndombele/Winks/Dele as the other members. Ideally to my mind GLC and Ndombele (or a replacement creative passing CM).
Yeah I think we are on a similar page. I actually think Poch thought Ndombele could be one of the two and be an upgrade and Lo Celso would be Eriksen’s replacement, although possibly a pair as Winks Sissoko or Dier all had severe limitations. I remember Redknapp tried Modric as a 10 but he’s just so much better with more space to move into and Lo Celso reminded me of him last season - conversely Dele can do unique things in one or two touches in or around the box but seems to struggle with the deeper role.

Hopefully we’ll get a better idea of the plan by how we line up against Everton but I do doubt we’ll see Ndombele starting for a while.

one thing I am looking forward to is Doherty and Moura together, Moura’s most effective trait is wining the ball high up the pitch early but I don’t think his final decision whether passing or shooting is particularly good, whereas Doherty seems to have that part covered which gives is an interesting dual threat on the right.

Another poor performance and result away, even if it was a pre-season friendly with a weak team. Mourinho must do something as our away form have been shyte for more than 1 year now. Since the start of the year, we have only won 2 away matches, against the mighty Aston Villa and Saudi Sportswashing Machine, drawing 6 and losing 6 in all competitions, including this friendly.

I hope (what a waste of time) that this might be a reality check for the people who keep thinking teams like that can easily win in early rounds of our cup games.
We should still be sending the kids.

Doesn't matter if they win or lose so let's not waste players that matter in matches that don't.

Back