• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Formula One on Sky

There's no way that season could have been described as boring no matter what the outcome.

That was the best season in decades. It didn't deserve a stitch up at the end.

Because of bad decisions all season though?

Fact it was the best season in decades sadly exposes how boring the sports become.

Because of bad decisions all season though?

Fact it was the best season in decades sadly exposes how boring the sports become.
There were one or two poor decisions but it would have been close even without them.

Hamilton would probably have had the title at the penultate race, but it still would have been down to the wire.

Yeah I agree. Sucks when Officialdom are the story. But had Masi red-flagged - stopped the race while they cleaned up the mess then restarted it - there would have still been a fair race to be had. Probably with both drivers on fresh rubber having it out over 4 laps.

I am not 100% on this, but if Masi had left the backmarkers in the field - Verstappen would have overtaken them within max a lap as the backmarkers would have been shown a blue flag right? To get out the way. Verstappen would have likely taken half a lap to clear the backmarkers, and then had maybe two-thirds of a lap to catch and pass Hamilton. It would have been closer, more exciting, and most importantly legit. Mercedes have a case now, and its a shame this option wasn't followed as the outcome would have been mighty close with the laps remaining, and no one could have questioned it.

That would have been excellent viewing: grid start, four lap sprint, all on softs.

I guess Mercades main argument is they made a call not to change tyres on the basis of them not removing the backmarkers - with a buffer between Hamilton and Verstappen. The Mercades team were informed like everyone that they wouldn't be unlapping these drivers. So they didn't change tyres on Hamiltons car.

With race control not observing their own rule book, you'd think Mercades have a cut and dry case if they took it to arbitration. But this is sport, and some kind of valour should be observed. Mercedes don't want to look like bad losers. I think Mercedes will let it stand, with some kind of discrete acknowledgement and behind the scenes 'credit' on something they want to be included in the new regulations as a payoff.

I guess Mercades main argument is they made a call not to change tyres on the basis of them not removing the backmarkers - with a buffer between Hamilton and Verstappen. The Mercades team were informed like everyone that they wouldn't be unlapping these drivers. So they didn't change tyres on Hamiltons car.

With race control not observing their own rule book, you'd think Mercades have a cut and dry case if they took it to arbitration. But this is sport, and some kind of valour should be observed. Mercedes don't want to look like bad losers. I think Mercedes will let it stand, with some kind of discrete acknowledgement and behind the scenes 'credit' on something they want to be included in the new regulations as a payoff.

I don’t think that’s their argument, it certainly shouldn’t be. I’ve watched it back twice, at no point in the last 20 laps was there a strategic advantage to pitting Lewis, they were committed to the long stint.

The Mercedes appeal can only be based on rules being incorrectly applied. Masi had two options, let all back markers through and finish the race behind the safety car, or let no back markers through and give them a single lap.

I don’t think that’s their argument, it certainly shouldn’t be. I’ve watched it back twice, at no point in the last 20 laps was there a strategic advantage to pitting Lewis, they were committed to the long stint.

The Mercedes appeal can only be based on rules being incorrectly applied. Masi had two options, let all back markers through and finish the race behind the safety car, or let no back markers through and give them a single lap.

There is that of course. However, Masi clearly said, "the backmarkers will remain in place and won't be unlapped". So Mercedes believed Verstappen would not be released onto Hamilton's gearbox for the restart. With fresh rubber, that scenario is game over for Mercedes, Verstappen didn't have to do anything to win. Any driver in the field would have made the pass with the same kit - that is the impact of fresh tires. Mercedes wouldn't have entertained not changing Hamilton's tires had race control said we'll unlap the backmarkers and leave Verstappen a clear track to stroll past Hamilton. Hamilton would have been, and was, a sitting duck.

There is that of course. However, Masi clearly said, "the backmarkers will remain in place and won't be unlapped". So Mercedes believed Verstappen would not be released onto Hamilton's gearbox for the restart. With fresh rubber, that scenario is game over for Mercedes, Verstappen didn't have to do anything to win. Any driver in the field would have made the pass with the same kit - that is the impact of fresh tires. Mercedes wouldn't have entertained not changing Hamilton's tires had race control said we'll unlap the backmarkers and leave Verstappen a clear track to stroll past Hamilton. Hamilton would have been, and was, a sitting duck.

There was never enough time, the gap was 13ish seconds when Latiffi dropped it, you need at least 22.

There was never enough time, the gap was 13ish seconds when Latiffi dropped it, you need at least 22.
Mercedes would have done that and given up track position though, if they'd known the back markers were being let through - they'd have to.

What Masi did was make one announcement forcing them to stay out, then when Verstappen had caught up behind Hamilton, changed his mind.

Mercedes would have done that and given up track position though, if they'd known the back markers were being let through - they'd have to.

What Masi did was make one announcement forcing them to stay out, then when Verstappen had caught up behind Hamilton, changed his mind.

I don’t think they would, Max was already on newish softer rubber and track position is (almost) everything.

But yes, Masi fudged them.

I'm still annoyed by this decision to let Max beat Hamilton.

I spent hours and hours and hours watching F1 for months on end, and when the climax arrived, they just threw everything in the bin.

If I was Mercedes I would never, ever let this rest, I would take this all the way. They have spent hundreds of millions of pounds on this, people have given up their family lives working 20 hour shifts night after night to achieve this win, and then the Race Director just throws away the rules and says "OK Max... GO!"

If Mercedes aren't reinstated I won't bother watching this again, that is total bullsh*t.

I agree with others, if there is a bad accident, they need to retain the gaps built up between cars.
Whether that is via VSC at 40% speed or maximum 70mph... or via stopping and restarting on the grid but with timed 'beeps' to allow each car to launch after a certain delay... or a rolling start where teams have to find the same gaps they had before.

I've always found it truly bizarre that someone can pit for tyres, then we get a Safety Car so their rival gets a pit stop with 10 seconds less penalty, through no skill... and yesterday just doubled and tripled my feelings on that score, it is stupid and should not happen in 2022. We have the technology to fix that.

People - often called Scaramanga - love to mock the American NASCAR racing series. While it's far from perfect, they have their schit together regarding re-starts and pit lane access. When the yellow flag is thrown - or lights flashed - pit lane is closed. The field is reformed behind the pace car - or truck - and everyone is informed by race control what the circumstances will be regarding pit lane opening and the re-commencing of the race.

When pit lane re-opens, everyone knows exactly where they stand.

When there is a red flag to stop the race and the cars are brought onto pit road, no one is allowed to make any changes to their car. If there's damage from an incident, they're welcome to look at it and assess what's needed to make repairs when pit lane re-opens. But a red flag brings all racing activity to a halt.

The end of this past season looks like a total blow job for Red Bull for being good sports about granting access when the Drive To Survive series first began. The farce that was Belgium also looks like another blow job. NASCAR would have simply told their teams that the weather has forced a postponement to Monday. The notion that the Belgium race had to be staged that very day was nonsense. The TV crews were in place, the next race was next door in Holland and a 24-hour delay in finishing the Belgian GP would hardly have caused serious inconvenience.

Like many people, I've been recently lured back into F1 now that Ecclestone is gone and now find myself disgusted by the blatant manipulations of race outcomes in order to ensure a new champion is declared. Even my wife, who was getting into F1 recently, is appalled. You can put us down as cynics about what this sport has to offer going forward.

If I was Mercedes I would never, ever let this rest, I would take this all the way. They have spent hundreds of millions of pounds on this, people have given up their family lives working 20 hour shifts night after night to achieve this win, and then the Race Director just throws away the rules and says "OK Max... GO!"

I agree with you but the noises coming out of Mercedes are suggesting they will drop it as they don't want to further sully the name of F1. I would argue the damage has already been done by Masi so I don't think they could make it any worse. Also, despite the rivalry they probably think it would be hard on Verstappen to strip him of the title when (for once) he did nothing wrong.

So I think the result will be uncontested but Masi will lose his job for this clusterfudge of his creation and this season will just be sadly remembered as one of the biggest stitch ups in major sporting history.

Assuming Mercedes and Red Bull maintain their dominance, next season could be great. Hamilton will be determined to right the wrong and Verstappen will want to prove he can be champion without the assistance of the race director.

Last edited:
I mean, several of us fans in here are bitter AF following it, how does Lewis react? I mean, imagine you're Lewis right now, how the fudge do you feel. He's an incredible champion and faced adversity many a time, but this wasn't' just a final race, it was the final lap, and basically decided by the race director.

Also agree with @Bullet comments, as i said before, why should Mercedes simply accept a decision that entirely controvenes the rules.

It's a stitch up, plain and simple.

I do wonder if Hamilton retires after that
I hope not as I'm sure he wants to get that 8th title in the bag
Also looking forward to seeing the dynamic in the team with Russell joining

I don’t think he will, I think he will retire after next season. He will be motivated to avenge this and get his 8th and that will drive him for next season. Then he will either win and go out on a high, or if he doesn’t I think he will see there is too much young talent coming through now and think it’s time to retire anyway.

Either way, whilst it is an injustice I don’t want to see him win on appeal now - even if he was awarded the title now it would feel a bit underwhelming, he deserves it on the track. Let’s see him go again next season and power to that 8th title he deserves….

I wouldn’t be surprised if he considers it.

The FIA have seemingly had it in for him for a while, due to his social justice campaigning one assumes.

I think he’ll be back though, he signed a new contract and they have put a lot into next years car already.

He’ll want the 8th, there is an asterisks next to his short season win, Max will want an uncontested one too, this one won’t feel right to him.

I will admit that I was screaming for Lewis to take Max out and gamble on his car making it to the finish and Max not.

Back