• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Formula One on Sky

Couple more questions from the F1 noob:

Why can't the drivers race qualifying on the track by themselves? Drive three laps by yourself, best time stands.

Why isn't there a transfer window after a season? So weird to see someone like Riccardio or Sainz just go to other teams at the beginning of the season and then having to deal with their team being a bit tinkled at them for the rest of the season. Who gains anything from that? Must be disrupting for teams and drivers.
The one by one shoot-out is the most unfair of all qualifying methods. The conditions will change a lot in the time it would take 20 cars to do one out lap, one qualifying lap and then an in lap. And just 1 degree change in air or track temperature had a massive effect on performance. Then there's the times when it starts raining during qualifying.

I wouldn't mind the old shoot-out to come back, but I think today's format works pretty well, with having to start the race with tires used for the fastest time in Q2 (second part of quali), and those knocked out earlier, getting a free choice of tires for the race. And it's fair, as everyone is racing in the same conditions.

How about points for qualifying first etc with fastest cars starting the race at the back?

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Unless it was a lot of points you’d be too compromised in the race to make it worthwhile.

If it was a lot of points teams would program engines just to collect points in qualifying and tootle around in the race on lower power mode saving the engine for next qualifying.

The teams work on winning and hire super smart people, if there is a way to game the system for an advantage they will, the more gimmicky the system the easier it is to exploit.

How about points for qualifying first etc with fastest cars starting the race at the back?

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app
There has been talk of reverse order starting grids several times, but it's not likely to happen anytime soon imo. I'd like that very much. Would make for some exciting racing. Unfortunately the big teams have too much influence in the rule making.

I don’t like the flip grid, it would be another attempt in manufacturing overtakes, like DRS, it only cheapens it.

I’d rather have one really good move in a race than thirty or so easy ones.

The one by one shoot-out is the most unfair of all qualifying methods. The conditions will change a lot in the time it would take 20 cars to do one out lap, one qualifying lap and then an in lap. And just 1 degree change in air or track temperature had a massive effect on performance. Then there's the times when it starts raining during qualifying.

I wouldn't mind the old shoot-out to come back, but I think today's format works pretty well, with having to start the race with tires used for the fastest time in Q2 (second part of quali), and those knocked out earlier, getting a free choice of tires for the race. And it's fair, as everyone is racing in the same conditions.

Ah, yeah, for some reason I hadn't factored in the track condition - thought that remained fairly constant, but obviously not!

Ah, yeah, for some reason I hadn't factored in the track condition - thought that remained fairly constant, but obviously not!
Even if the weather stayed consistent, some tracks only really start rubbering in on the Saturday.

Poor Haas, stuck with useless spoilt brat Mazepin for the foreseeable future. :p McLaren above Ferrari at the moment. Mercedes running away with it as per usual, but Ferrari must be shaking in their pants over the trajectory they are on.

I wouldn't say Mercedes are running away with it, Red Bull are not making the best of their car, I don't think is much between them at all.

Haas are only stuck with Mazepin because his dad is their title sponsor.

Poor Haas, stuck with useless spoilt brat Mazepin for the foreseeable future. :p McLaren above Ferrari at the moment. Mercedes running away with it as per usual, but Ferrari must be shaking in their pants over the trajectory they are on.

I mean, Daddy is funding Haas so not like they can complain much about Mazepin. He'd have been binned off quickly if it weren't for the moolah. Even re-painted the car to the Russian flag which isn't allowed!!

Love seeing McLaren in the mix, the new livery for Sunday is quality if you haven't seen yet. Plus two drivers i like in Norris and Riccairdo. What's even more beautiful is seeing Aston Martin floundering. Never liked Stroll (who like Mazepin, had his pathway to F1 sorted by Daddy). He's done ok since, but they're constructors position should in no way be behind Alpha Tauri or Alpine.

Similar to what @Baleforce said though, you can't say Mercedes running away with it. In fact the Redbull has been the better car in all the races thus far, but Mercedes strategy management been second to none, along with having the GOAT.

I wouldn't say Mercedes are running away with it, Red Bull are not making the best of their car, I don't think is much between tHem.

Haas are only stuck with Mazepin because his dad is their title sponsor.

Yeah, I know, but that must be a bricky thing to do - take a driver on board just to save your crappy team. But oh well.

How are Red Bull not making the most of their car? I just read today that Hamilton complained about some spoiler or something they've started utilizing and that Mercedes wanted removed. Genuine question, by the way, I know fudge all about the cars (only really following because of Drive to Survive).

Yeah, I know, but that must be a bricky thing to do - take a driver on board just to save your crappy team. But oh well.

How are Red Bull not making the most of their car? I just read today that Hamilton complained about some spoiler or something they've started utilizing and that Mercedes wanted removed. Genuine question, by the way, I know fudge all about the cars (only really following because of Drive to Survive).

don't think it's them not maximising the car, they've lost a couple of races on strategy. The second pit from Hamilton last week for example, not a single pre-analysis showed a two stopper working, Mercedes calculated mid-race it was worth the gamble, paid off. They've been out-thought if anything. But again, you need to have a driver to execute, not just anyone. And Mercedes have that in Lewis. His tyre management for example is what allowed that strategy to work.

Red bull are "stretching" the rules with the use of a flexible rear wing. It flexes down in high speeds, thus creating less drag and higher top speed. Mercedes have complained, and new rules that prevents the use of that wing will be in place in a few weeks.

It's really really common on F1 for a seat to be bought like that, Mazepin has had a tough start but he has a better record in lower disciplines than some we have seen in the past.

The car was quicker than the Mercedes for the first couple of races, at worst it's a match now, the potential wing ban may change that in future races. Mercedes are doing a better job with strategy, although that's easier to do with Hamilton as he's so consistent and so fast. Perez not being as reliable a wingman as Bottas isn't helping them either.

MazeSpin is the worst F1 driver since Chanoch Nissany, an Israeli business man that bought himself a place in the Minardi team, with no racing experience...
The other drivers hate MazeSpin, as he has no clue, and is dangerous.

Back