• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Formula One on Sky

It's not really about shaving off weight anymore, as they have constantly increased the minimum weight of car+driver, so weight isn't really an issue. It's the aero, chassis and power pack and engine management electronics that is important. More and more parts are homogeneous, so it's mainly the chassis and engine management that differs. Next year there will be only 3 engine suppliers, Mercedes, Renault and Ferrari, as Honda are pulling out after this season, which is a shame, as they finally seem to have a competitive power pack this year. So a team that buys engines from Mercedes, will have the exact same engine as the Mercedes factory team. Engines are supplied to F1/FIA and them redistributed to the teams. This ensures that the factory team can't supply better engines to themselves. The engine management systems though, are made by each team.
Honda are staying in - they're assisting Red Bull for a year or two then Red Bull are taking the engine development over.

thats interesting and definitely good for the Sport, as means Red Bull should remain competitive and we know Mercedes should be there or there abouts, and Mercedes supply McLaren and Aston Martin.

Very happy to see a competitive McLaren back btw, and quite like Norris and Riccairdo so two drivers i want to see do well. Not a fan of Lance Stroll at all, so would be chuffed to see them beat out Aston Martin.

Also Mazepin - didn't realise it was Daddy's money that bought him in to the sport, great to see him have a total brick weekend.

thats interesting and definitely good for the Sport, as means Red Bull should remain competitive and we know Mercedes should be there or there abouts, and Mercedes supply McLaren and Aston Martin.

Very happy to see a competitive McLaren back btw, and quite like Norris and Riccairdo so two drivers i want to see do well. Not a fan of Lance Stroll at all, so would be chuffed to see them beat out Aston Martin.

Also Mazepin - didn't realise it was Daddy's money that bought him in to the sport, great to see him have a total brick weekend.

It’s always Daddy’s money that gets them into the sport. Well that’s not strictly true, sometimes it’s Mummy’s money.

Aston Martin are only wasting time and money with Vettel, his head has gone.

It’s always Daddy’s money that gets them into the sport. Well that’s not strictly true, sometimes it’s Mummy’s money.

i like Vettel, and would love for him to show up Stroll every race tbh. I feel a bit sorry for him, seems like he's really fallen behind the pack. Watching him in the Drive to Survive doc, the elder statesman etc and he's always been a class act for the most part, it's a shame to see how far he has fallen. You're right though, feel like he's gone full Nando Torres.

i like Vettel, and would love for him to show up Stroll every race tbh. I feel a bit sorry for him, seems like he's really fallen behind the pack. Watching him in the Drive to Survive doc, the elder statesman etc and he's always been a class act for the most part, it's a shame to see how far he has fallen. You're right though, feel like he's gone full Nando Torres.

If he hadn’t pulled off that win at Monza in the TR I’d now be thinking he was never that good and the Red Bull he won those Championships in must have been incredible.

It seems that any kind of challenge at all and mistakes follow.

A very quick driver of an F1 car, but not a great driver in traffic.

I was amazed they invested in him. Can see the logic - make Strol look good - and maybe Vetal is good at developing the car and has lots of experience. But he has not been fast for a decade. Consistently slow, and not at the races, as it were :)

Well I never, I hadn't realised that. Quite an odd situation, setting up a company to develop engines so that... when engine development is frozen, you can still use the old engine design.

Kinda been done regularly, Petronas badged Ferrari units, Supertec/Meccachrome Renaults units and the TAG's that McLaren used back in the day were Porsche.

I was amazed they invested in him. Can see the logic - make Strol look good - and maybe Vetal is good at developing the car and has lots of experience. But he has not been fast for a decade. Consistently slow, and not at the races, as it were :)

His attitude doesn't strike me as being good for helping car development.

Well I never, I hadn't realised that. Quite an odd situation, setting up a company to develop engines so that... when engine development is frozen, you can still use the old engine design.
Clever really, gives them a few years to design the next, rather than the usual 1 year.

Kinda been done regularly, Petronas badged Ferrari units, Supertec/Meccachrome Renaults units and the TAG's that McLaren used back in the day were Porsche.
You see, I knew there must be a sport you knew something about. Ta, interesting. It does strike me that these MASSSSIVE companies like Mercedes will surely continue to tinker in some back laboratory somewhere, behind the budget. It is hard to imagine they don't have some secret bunker with engines and computer modelling and wind tunnels and a small team of Germans with stiff moustaches.

You see, I knew there must be a sport you knew something about. Ta, interesting. It does strike me that these MASSSSIVE companies like Mercedes will surely continue to tinker in some back laboratory somewhere, behind the budget. It is hard to imagine they don't have some secret bunker with engines and computer modelling and wind tunnels and a small team of Germans with stiff moustaches.

:p

Couple more questions from the F1 noob:

Why can't the drivers race qualifying on the track by themselves? Drive three laps by yourself, best time stands.

Why isn't there a transfer window after a season? So weird to see someone like Riccardio or Sainz just go to other teams at the beginning of the season and then having to deal with their team being a bit tinkled at them for the rest of the season. Who gains anything from that? Must be disrupting for teams and drivers.

Back