• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Foreign Fans

Infact, thinking about it a bit more, sometimes foreign fans are even better than local ones. If you're local, or you have family ties to the club/area, then you are almost a fan by default. I was born a few miles from Tottenham, but I support Spurs coz my dad is a Spurs fan, and he used to be a Spurs nut (most home and a lot of away games in the 70's/80's). So I was brainwashed, I had no choice! haha

But if you're a young lad in Norway or Nigeria, you could go and pick any team. Man Utd, Barcelona, whoever. Yet some of these lads (and ladies) choose Spurs and end up just as passionate about the club as any local supporter -- and that's a little bit magical imo.

Picking Spurs is never a bandwagon choice, sticking with Spurs through the 90's = real dedication

Foreign fans often spend huge amounts of money on club, my first trip to WHL was a 9.5 hour flight, and all my England expenses was at a 10:1 conversion rate to my local currency

I think its a bit odd really supporting a team not in your country - I mean really supporting not just following, even the US have their own league now. You shouldn't support a team because they are successful, and likewise you shouldn't support a league because it is better. Then again I would hate to have to watch italian football every week. No issue with the actual people just find the whole thing odd.
My friend, odd or not, Spurs is the only team I support worldwide. Even when they play against a team from my country, I'm rooting for Spurs. Part of the magic of being a Spurs fan. :)

I remember waking up at GHod awful hours every week to walk down to my neighbors porch so i could use their internet to watch Spurs games on some crappy stream. Cant wait to see them live one day at the lane (or whatever the new stadium is called )

Until then i send my love and support from Ohio

Thanks for the opinions, stories and general feedback! Can't wait to go back. First time was xmas 2005, against Saudi Sportswashing Machine, 2-0. Absolute brilliant. Sencond time was 2013 at home against Arsenal. My father (who's a spurs supporter as well) brought me and my two brothers over. He has got a terrible sickness called KOLS (which basically means that you have serious truble breathing), but still pulled through. I was so happy that he was able to witness a home match, let alone an NLD win, before he was too sick to go, meant a lot! Anyways, thanks guys, hope we'll be up for it tomorrow!

Cheers

Have a good time Spurv. Let's hope that you keep your 100% win record going

I'm crossing my fingers for the win record as I'm returning tomorrow with my son. His first Spurs game, so why not make it the NLD :D

Is there anything in particular that we should be aware of regarding Wembley? Tips, tricks etc.? We're landing at Gatwick at 0840 (if there are no delays....:eek:), so I'm thinking of taking the train directly to Wembley and store the luggage there.

Anyways, quite nervous about the match as our current plight of form isn't really good...

Cheers!

I’m arriving this evening, staying round me Ma’s, then the standard bus replacement service to London liv street from middle Essex with mates tomorrow morning.

Only other game I’ve managed this season was the Chelsea 3-1 win.

Booked it this time last week, I have to say, things looked a little rosier then though!

Foreign Spurs fan - welcome to the family
Foreign rival fan who dares to try and give it large - fudge off and support your local team :D

For me it’s not important how you get here, you can be from N17, a different part of the country or a different part of the world, follow your dads team, start by being a fan of a particular player or by being part of a social crowd, it’s all the same to me. We start with the Spurs thing in common and the only disagreement we may have is the way we go about supporting the team or carry ourselves as human beings when attending matches, which is also agnostic of your Spurs supporting origins.

I'm crossing my fingers for the win record as I'm returning tomorrow with my son. His first Spurs game, so why not make it the NLD :D

Is there anything in particular that we should be aware of regarding Wembley? Tips, tricks etc.? We're landing at Gatwick at 0840 (if there are no delays....:eek:), so I'm thinking of taking the train directly to Wembley and store the luggage there.

Anyways, quite nervous about the match as our current plight of form isn't really good...

Cheers!

Hope your son enjoys his day.
I just posted an interview with Willie Young in the former player thread in General - he talks about a couple of NLDs, including one that was my first ever game at WHL. A player brawl and Young getting sent off added to the already charged atmosphere. Great memories.
Whilst the Wembley atmosphere has been very hit and miss this season, it should be a very good one tomorrow, even for an early kick-off. I'm sure your son will love it.

Luggage storage (if you haven't already done it) seems to be at the far side of the Yellow Carpark.

I’m an Irish Spurs fan too. I support my local team but the league here is terrible and I get to less games than before because I live two hours from home and having kids curtails the amount of time available for football.

The English league is all over the media here. In the 60s – 90s, all our best players went to England so that dragged a lot of Irish people to support English teams. The fact we consume the same media as the UK has kept that interest alive as the quality of our players has gotten worse over the years.

For me, I supported Spurs because my brother did. He loved Glenn Hoddle so when I was 4, Spurs was the only option for me. My mates are all Liverpool fans which is why I hate Liverpool more than anyone else. Growing up in the late 80s and early 90s was miserable because Liverpool were much better than us and we were fairly dire. But the love for Spurs has always been there. My first game was in 96 at Anfield in a 0-0 draw and four of us were in with the Liverpool fans. While they didn’t appreciate us shouting for Spurs, they were okay to be fair. I’ve been to WHL and Wembley and I’ve only ever gotten a warm welcome from everyone I’ve encountered and my accent isn’t exactly subtle. The only problem I ever had in the UK was in Manchester on a non-football trip over and I was wearing a Spurs shirt. I stopped to ask a fella directions and he cut me off with “F**k off”. Made me laugh because I’m not sure if it was the Spurs jersey or the accent that prompted the response.

My boy is now a Spurs fan too and that gives me such pleasure. He loves going over. The look on his face when he first set foot in Wembley was magical.

Supporting this club is a major bright spot at the minute because there’s quite a bit of turmoil at home. I look forward to games because I know if we win, it’ll just lift me massively and I can lose myself for 90 mins shouting at the TV.

I don’t know where it came from or why it’s so strong but I know my love for this club is real.

Foreign Fan here .. Omo naija here. Started supporting because of Jurgen Klinsmann and realised that I actually liked the club even though he had gone.

I am so happy that it has gone from 'What jersey are you wearing? Tottenham - you support Tottenham? Who is Tottenham?' back home to people rocking the tops and trying to be fans. It has been a long journey and I am a strong pro-Levy person.

As a foreign fan who goes to one game per season I recommend you not to be too shy singing all the songs and be part of the community. At my first visit to the Lane (2007 May vs Blackburn) I thought it's just the privilege of the local fans and ST holders and I'm just a visitor (however when Defoe equalized we hugged each other with the unknown bloke next to me like best friends), but later when I was drunk enough to behave like a supporter really should, it became the best sport experience of my life.
And whatever happens tomorrow, after the game go to a local pub. I don't know how old your son is, but you both will definitely love it. I went to J.J. Moon's following the United fiasco in Januray, Spurs shirts everywhere, the pub filled with proper fans and the chants were so loud that my beer was moving on the table. These moments get you even closer to this great club.

In general the main difference I see between locals and foreign fans is the feeling or sentiment against arch rivals. All the years I spent among other clubs' fans, the debates on the web or in real life conversations, the way they talked to me or about Spurs, it all directed me to the same way as anyone who's got lilywhite blud, but in this case I have to agree with r-u-s-x and it's a bit odd when people fuming over WestHam 1000 miles away from London. I was living close to Fulham Broadway, spent there almost two years, those phuckers celebrated their PL trophy in front of my flat, but still, it's not in my bones. I don't know what this thing really means, Millwall fans didn't attack my relatives 30 years ago, the stadium occupied by WestHam was not built from my tax, I called the gooners homless nomad bastards without the ability to spot Woolwich on the map. Even calling scousers bindippers or lauging at the unemployed jokes would be beyond belief as I'd cross my fingers for the average salary over there (sad but true).
Don't get me wrong, I'm counting the minutes in the days before an NLD and getting extremely nervous till the kick-off, like all of you, but you have to be a born and raised English Spurs fan to have it in your bones.
And I really do hope other foreign fans don't take it as offence against their loyalty for Spurs.

As a foreign fan who goes to one game per season I recommend you not to be too shy singing all the songs and be part of the community. At my first visit to the Lane (2007 May vs Blackburn) I thought it's just the privilege of the local fans and ST holders and I'm just a visitor (however when Defoe equalized we hugged each other with the unknown bloke next to me like best friends), but later when I was drunk enough to behave like a supporter really should, it became the best sport experience of my life.
And whatever happens tomorrow, after the game go to a local pub. I don't know how old your son is, but you both will definitely love it. I went to J.J. Moon's following the United fiasco in Januray, Spurs shirts everywhere, the pub filled with proper fans and the chants were so loud that my beer was moving on the table. These moments get you even closer to this great club.

In general the main difference I see between locals and foreign fans is the feeling or sentiment against arch rivals. All the years I spent among other clubs' fans, the debates on the web or in real life conversations, the way they talked to me or about Spurs, it all directed me to the same way as anyone who's got lilywhite blud, but in this case I have to agree with r-u-s-x and it's a bit odd when people fuming over WestHam 1000 miles away from London. I was living close to Fulham Broadway, spent there almost two years, those phuckers celebrated their PL trophy in front of my flat, but still, it's not in my bones. I don't know what this thing really means, Millwall fans didn't attack my relatives 30 years ago, the stadium occupied by WestHam was not built from my tax, I called the gooners homless nomad bastards without the ability to spot Woolwich on the map. Even calling scousers bindippers or lauging at the unemployed jokes would be beyond belief as I'd cross my fingers for the average salary over there (sad but true).
Don't get me wrong, I'm counting the minutes in the days before an NLD and getting extremely nervous till the kick-off, like all of you, but you have to be a born and raised English Spurs fan to have it in your bones.
And I really do hope other foreign fans don't take it as offence against their loyalty for Spurs.
Top top post.
The rivalry thing can be based on one individuals behaviour and if anything has become a bigger thing with social media. Before I became a match attending fan and not loving in London I was indifferent to West Ham, yet it was a Spammer from Aylesbury that lit the touch paper for my hatred of that club. Dare I say more than Arsenal, whose fans that I encounter are more grounded about where we both are as clubs and aren’t racist cnuts. Apart from the one who used to text me on St totteringhams day...who actually went to games but was Australian and arrived here in his mid twenties and picked Arsenal. I was in Australia myself when I watched a game wanting United to beat us to stop Goons winning the league in 99 yet feeling odd about the gloating of the non local United fans.
I think you do yourself a disservice, the fact you are nervous before a derby is how you know it matters, wherever you happen to be watching it.

I agree totally with that. I obviously have a certain level of dislike for Arsenal and that's gotten stronger in recent years when we've been genuine rivals for the same prize(s). Ditto Chelsea who I find particularly odious for numerous reasons (racist fans, lottery winners with a Russian gangster, John Terry/Ashley Cole etc). But it's not the same for me as it is for Londoners. I hate Liverpool because that's who my mates support. When I was growing up and to this day, if Liverpool win and Spurs lose, I get it in the neck. Vice versa, I give it just as much. I feel ill when we play them and I have done since I was a kid. If they beat us, it destroys me until we start winning again. And that's what rivalry is about. It's not really about the other team in themselves, it's the fact that you're close to people that support them every day. They're your mates, your neighbours, your workmates, your schoolmates and (GHod forbid) your family. They're on what you see as your territory (which is literally true with Woolwich). I completely get that for North Londoners, that's Arsenal all day long. For me, it'll always be Liverpool.

I do find it funny with Irish football fans that they try to copy the traditional rivalries over here. For example, there is nothing for an Irish Liverpool fan to hate about Everton. They haven't really been rivals for a long time.

Completely agree with what you say, DeanoAustin, us foreigners might not fully get the scum rivalry, but having supported the club for many many years, hating them is part of the culture, and gradually it gets to you and becomes part of you, and as you say, when you know lots of people who will give you stick from the other side, who are also colored by the rivalry, despite them also not being brought up in London, it becomes a real thing. There's far more banter between me and my scum mates than there are with mates of mine supporting other clubs.

And you know, social media and everything surrounding the whole circus makes you more aware of who to hate. Stenchny calling us out on twitter with a piano tune, makes me hate him and his team more than say Everton.

Arse are scum, and they have been for as long as I can remember, even though I'm not from London. And there is no other team I want us to beat more for so many reason.

Get in today, spurs, fudging do them!

Hope your son enjoys his day.
I just posted an interview with Willie Young in the former player thread in General - he talks about a couple of NLDs, including one that was my first ever game at WHL. A player brawl and Young getting sent off added to the already charged atmosphere. Great memories.
Whilst the Wembley atmosphere has been very hit and miss this season, it should be a very good one tomorrow, even for an early kick-off. I'm sure your son will love it.

Luggage storage (if you haven't already done it) seems to be at the far side of the Yellow Carpark.

Cheers! I’ll check out the intervjuer.Plane is fairly on time, so we’ll stop by the hotell with the bags.

Looking forward to the match!

Coys

Back