• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Foreign Fans

Spurv

Paul Konchesky
Hello lads and lasses

Long time lurker here, guess I started my glory-glory career early 2000's.
I'm from Norway as some other posters on here, and to be honest it was the norwegian connection which steered me to this fantastic club in the first place, namely Erik.

I'm wondering how you local lot percieve us foreign fans? I know for a fact that football tourism is driving prices up etc. I've been over a few times and of course had an absolute thrilling experience each time (last one was home against Arse in 2013, 2-1 win), but I couldn't help feeling a little bit awkard thinking about how much I paid for the ticket and in the bigger picture potentially outpricing a young, local lad from having a the time of his life.

Feel free to be brutally honest.

Fantastic win today, btw. COYS!

you're exactly the fan the PLC wants, you'll spend money in the spurs shop on your occasional visits and by checking the spurs site from overseas, they can sell more advertising space to overseas sponsors.

Having once lived, worked and played footie within a stone's throw of the ground I always loved meeting fans from overseas. Their passion was invariably refreshing and often that much more interesting simply because of where they were from.

Cannot imagine you'll ever get anything less than a very warm welcome.

I've weird feelings on it being an Irish Tottenham fan for 27 years.
I'm totally against nonsense like Irish people becoming Sunderland fans in their 20s and 30s because of Roy Keane (it happened, most of them probably have moved on to the next bandwagon). I know Liverpool fans here that thought they had a right to at the Champions League both those times for their only Liverpool game of the season.
Just something about it feels wrong. Especially when the local league is in a mess with only a few thousand at each game.
But Tottenham are inexplicably my club. I've no idea where it even started. I've a memory of watching us play Liverpool on ITV's big match when I was 6 years old. I've a memory of asking my older brother what the name of my team was again as we were setting up the Subbuteo scoreboard. I remember missing the 87 cup final because of a family outing and being a very tinkled off little kid.

you're exactly the fan the PLC wants, you'll spend money in the spurs shop on your occasional visits and by checking the spurs site from overseas, they can sell more advertising space to overseas sponsors.

Never bought anything at the spurs shop tbh and rarely visit to the spurs site (only for watching extended highlights from games i've missed). I left some money in the neighbourhood though, on beers, food and a scarf or two...

Having once lived, worked and played footie within a stone's throw of the ground I always loved meeting fans from overseas. Their passion was invariably refreshing and often that much more interesting simply because of where they were from.

Cannot imagine you'll ever get anything less than a very warm welcome.

Rest assured, never got anything but love, mate :)

Never experienced any negativity myself either.

A couple of times people have seemed a bit cautious. As in meeting someone from Norway claiming to be a Spurs fan they've more wondered if I'm just someone that likes football a bit and think white is a pretty colour. Never lasted long when conversations have headed into who the most promising academy players are etc... :)

It's great to see fans from all over the world. I can only admire their dedication and passion.

The more the merrier, IMO.

A bit random to post this here, I know, but didn't want to start another thread.

Club sent e-mails to all foreign supporters clubs for us to take pics and videos of us singing Spurs songs, supposed to be shown to the players before the LC final.
We (Israei Yids, spurs supporters club in Israel) got togerher to watch the arsenal game and sent them the stuff, and this is the e-mail we got back:
10603574_10205871418845241_4086062580571111499_n.jpg

Unbelievable I think. Thought this Yid nonsense was over, and anyway, who is that guy telling us what is supposed to be offensive to jewish people? Come on

I think it's to do with behaviour.

Anyone who understands the game and behaves in a proper manner is generally very welcomed.

It's the 'tourists' that people can sometimes be critical of (the cameras and merchandise overload), but they are as likely to come from St Albans as Taiwan.

I think most Nordic visitors tend to be serious fans and quite seamlessly integrate into the drinking culture. Most fans also know about our 25 year + connection with Norway and are proud of Thorstvedt &co and that your king is a yid!

If anything it is a bit embarrassing that coming to WHL involves you seeing one of the most deprived parts of the entire country.

I would love one day to watch a match in a Spurs bar in Oslo or Stockholm.

I think its a bit odd really supporting a team not in your country - I mean really supporting not just following, even the US have their own league now. You shouldn't support a team because they are successful, and likewise you shouldn't support a league because it is better. Then again I would hate to have to watch italian football every week. No issue with the actual people just find the whole thing odd.

I think its a bit odd really supporting a team not in your country - I mean really supporting not just following, even the US have their own league now. You shouldn't support a team because they are successful, and likewise you shouldn't support a league because it is better. Then again I would hate to have to watch italian football every week. No issue with the actual people just find the whole thing odd.

Lots of countries don't have legitimate leagues today, even worse 20-30 years ago.

Where I grew up, we had no pro/semi-pro league and the only football you saw of competitive nature was English football (mostly cups), World Cup and eventually Italian football with the Seria A rebranding.

Hence the football I saw, had early 80's Spurs quite often in cups, that's what I grew up on, became a fan of, even if I wasn't from England.

Don't assume its as easy as it is in England to have a local club to go follow .

Infact, thinking about it a bit more, sometimes foreign fans are even better than local ones. If you're local, or you have family ties to the club/area, then you are almost a fan by default. I was born a few miles from Tottenham, but I support Spurs coz my dad is a Spurs fan, and he used to be a Spurs nut (most home and a lot of away games in the 70's/80's). So I was brainwashed, I had no choice! haha

But if you're a young lad in Norway or Nigeria, you could go and pick any team. Man Utd, Barcelona, whoever. Yet some of these lads (and ladies) choose Spurs and end up just as passionate about the club as any local supporter -- and that's a little bit magical imo.

Back