• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

For london voters

Was wondering if people just vote for the person who represents the party they vote for at the general election of if they vote for who they think is best for london, i suppose they could always be the same person/party.

This. London is basically fuelled by money, so the right Mayor is the one that ensures that the money men are taken care of. The wealth then trickles down.

Who knows what he'd have done with the Olympics should he have stayed in for one more term? All I know is Johnson's ideas were successful

Livingstones only policy that I can see is too cut fares which to be fair is likely to be a winning policy.

I think Boris has done well for London but this battle will be fought on transport and after waiting 40 minutes for a jubilee line train this morning (again) I will see who comes up with some better plans for the tube. Talk of Livingstone putting one of Crows cronies on TFL board which I am heavily against.

Lol....like anyone has the balls or political will to stand up to ASLEF?

flimflam!

Im not condoning it, but corruption will exist where certain conditions are met! I believe Boris has also had to sack all of his team in his first 6 months because of similar concerns. But I guess its the nature of the beast. Different political leanings just means who gets to put the snout in the trough. Politics is 'who gets what'.

In the Ken part of that article I mentioned he says he prefers Steve Norris as an opponent, much harder working etc. Also called Paul Dacre a fudgewit, which is surprising from a tory! Although not surprising Dacre was the target.

Im not sure I agree with people choosing Ken because things were rosy during his tenure. His 2000 battle was won as an independant candidate more as a protest vote against the main parties - and currently the tory top brass are seriously in danger of collapse. Lansley is wrecking havoc in the NHS, Warsi is a looney, Gove is utterly detached from human emotion, Osbourne cant see the wood for the trees and Cameron employed one of the biggest crooks in the biggest corruption enquiry there has ever been in this country - so Boris has only one option, and that is to distance himself. Which politically is a bit tricky! I think people will punish the tories nationally, by voting locally. London is basically all Labour has left now that Scotland has gone ( which they will regret, poor scots ).

I also dont expect any recovery for the far right. that annihilation of the BNP at the last GE must still hurt.

And yet the Tories are up in the polls? Ahead of Liebour?

Tories dominate the outer boroughs and will get the vote.

What about Ken's role that was instrumental in bringing the olympics to London in the first place?

Lol.......one man won us the Olympics.....Seb Coe.

Livingston is the lying clam.......said the cost would be ?ú2 billion!!

He burdoned Londoners with Billions in extra taxes to pay for them.

Im not sure the country blame the tories that much for the country, looking at the opinon polls the public still rightly attribute blame to the last labour government for our record debt levels and budget defecit.

Im fast going off mainstream politics im purely a UKIP man and nothing else matters to me. I do think that the london mayoral elections are important to the country as london accounts for so much of the countries wealth. Think people that work in london should get a vote as well as the ones that live there. That does not include me, because apart from going to the lane and the odd night at the theatre i try to keep out of london.

I dont agree, if you enjoy London ( and all of our Spurs fans hardly live in London these days, or exist outside M25 ) then I reckon there should be some kind of weighting, and you should get a vote or influence in the local council. The outer boroughs which commute on the M4 or use the trains into Paddington or Marylebone benefit directly from Mayors Office directives. The **** up on the Hammersmith Flyover where they salted it so much last year they corroded the steel rods in the structure is exactly what people from out of town expect to be sorted out, as closing that route adds a good 25 minutes at rush hour on a good day.

In Kens defence, the Overground was a long awaited masterstroke and nobody really will argue with that. Your ticket now covers everywhere in London, your Oyster will take you anywhere and its clear where the fare structures change. It has taken alot of pressure off the roads and I personally use it frequently. I also expect the new rail developments for the Stadium to massivley improve the area, half the problem of Tottenham is the high road is basically an ancient country lane with a city on it, and no useful rail links make the journey faster than the car trip. Ie, it takes me one hour to do a west london - tottenham hale trip on the train, I have to change at Kings Cross and in rush hour its slow. In the car, you might sit in traffic at Bounds Green but at least I can have a smoke and it takes an hour, more comfy. So THIS is down to Boris. If he gets the transport moving for Tottenham, he will win support. But to ignore Kens contribution to this is, frankly, nonsense by some and downright mischievious by others!

Black mark for Boris - he had to be dragged kicking and screaming from his holiday while Hale burned down, and hasnt made that respect back because of the police's failure to get a grip on the Duggan situation. He may not have control, it might not have been his watch, but as Mayor brick sticks.

I think he has acted very un-Tory like, (as far as the stereotype is concerned) with the Tottenham situation.

He has shown as much willingness to get involved in the poorer, Labour areas, of the city as the affluent outer suburbs.

I think he has acted very un-Tory like, (as far as the stereotype is concerned) with the Tottenham situation.

He has shown as much willingness to get involved in the poorer, Labour areas, of the city as the affluent outer suburbs.

true to a point, if youd said working, rather than poor, id be more inclined to agree. The distinction is, for example my gf works at my local council. She works in a borough with a large ethnic diversity. Her office, amazingly, is full of wives whos husbands work in the City on massive salaries and spend zero time at home with the kids and wifes, and it sounds like an awful existence. Now, Boris didnt target our area at all in the last Mayoral election, and I think its because the people likely to vote for him, working and well off, dont live here. Ken was all over us. Our area is families, kids, parks, schools and a car-based suburban demographic. I think Boris ignored the middle class and went straight for the workers and the loaded and focused resources accordingly to wards where he could get a look in. This is also a charge the current central government has to address, the middle classes are getting stretched. So when I see Boris, I see relatable, friendly Tory, but his powers to do real work are limited to certain areas, and he will take the stick for others' shortfalls. The Mayors remit is limited and I think people want him as PM, because they like him and want him to sort out our issues. So hes fudged basically, unless he puts the work in.

Still, it will develop. this is just as I see it right now

To add, I think the Mayor is a symbolic role more than anything, it needs a good networker and someone who can promote the city globally, I think Boris has done a great job in that regard.

I would have no issues with voting for a Labour candidate in London, but Red Ken is just way way way too far to the left for me to be interested.

To add, I think the Mayor is a symbolic role more than anything, it needs a good networker and someone who can promote the city globally, I think Boris has done a great job in that regard.

I would have no issues with voting for a Labour candidate in London, but Red Ken is just way way way too far to the left for me to be interested.

And a massive prick to boot

It would have to be Ken for me all the way, I personally can't stand Boris Johnson, and shouldn't have ever got the job in the first place.

Back