• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

For london voters

Danishfurniturelover

the prettiest spice girl
Does not include me, i have not lived in london for years but of you voters in london who do you prefer boris or ken?

One wants to spend money the other wants to try and save money, my own political right wing views come to the fore and i think it is always better to try and save, but i do not live in london so i do not suppose it matters. Yet i see at the weekend it was said that london is keeping the rest of the country afloat so i guess it is in all our interests for a strong london.

I have always thought that people who work in london but do not live in london should have a vote, someone like our very own markysimmo should be able to vote as the amount people like him and one of my sisters(guildford) spend on transport getting into london each day i would say gives them a right to a vote. Especailly as transport is going to be one of the main points of the mayoral election campaign, i wonder if the child tax credit cut wll have any impact.

Very good comparison peice of the two in the statesman this week. Its a bit more complicated than 'spend money = bad'. Ken was very VERY pro city, but had little power to do much as its for central government to decide tax issues. But then Boris is caught between being himself and being mayor of a leading capital of the world without any real decision making powers.

I think Ken will win it as hes always been on the side of struggling families, which is what we need right now.

Very good comparison peice of the two in the statesman this week. Its a bit more complicated than 'spend money = bad'. Ken was very VERY pro city, but had little power to do much as its for central government to decide tax issues. But then Boris is caught between being himself and being mayor of a leading capital of the world without any real decision making powers.

I think Ken will win it as hes always been on the side of struggling families, which is what we need right now.

I think the big problem for boris is that his personality is bigger then him, i wish he was a more serious politican and i say that as someone who is more to the right then the centre.

Ken can get in by the fact that he was last in when everything was rosy and maybe people will remember that and think he is good for that reason.

Saw last week that boris had appointed a police chief to break up gangs, a special task force. Made a big thing about it and all i could think was how long has he been in office and he is only now doing something about it. Did not impress me that, apparently the was lots of corruption around when ken was in but maybe the public have forgotten about all that now.

It amazes me that these two idiots are possible candidates, let alone the favourites

Both are just flat out idiots

Is there nobody in politics that has a brain, common sense etc?

Livingstones only policy that I can see is too cut fares which to be fair is likely to be a winning policy.

I think Boris has done well for London but this battle will be fought on transport and after waiting 40 minutes for a jubilee line train this morning (again) I will see who comes up with some better plans for the tube. Talk of Livingstone putting one of Crows cronies on TFL board which I am heavily against.

i agree, i think Boris has done a good job, i'd vote for him solely for not being Ken Livingstone mind, odious cretinous cnut that he is

I think the big problem for boris is that his personality is bigger then him, i wish he was a more serious politican and i say that as someone who is more to the right then the centre.

Ken can get in by the fact that he was last in when everything was rosy and maybe people will remember that and think he is good for that reason.

Saw last week that boris had appointed a police chief to break up gangs, a special task force. Made a big thing about it and all i could think was how long has he been in office and he is only now doing something about it. Did not impress me that, apparently the was lots of corruption around when ken was in but maybe the public have forgotten about all that now.

Im not condoning it, but corruption will exist where certain conditions are met! I believe Boris has also had to sack all of his team in his first 6 months because of similar concerns. But I guess its the nature of the beast. Different political leanings just means who gets to put the snout in the trough. Politics is 'who gets what'.

In the Ken part of that article I mentioned he says he prefers Steve Norris as an opponent, much harder working etc. Also called Paul Dacre a fudgewit, which is surprising from a tory! Although not surprising Dacre was the target.

Im not sure I agree with people choosing Ken because things were rosy during his tenure. His 2000 battle was won as an independant candidate more as a protest vote against the main parties - and currently the tory top brass are seriously in danger of collapse. Lansley is wrecking havoc in the NHS, Warsi is a looney, Gove is utterly detached from human emotion, Osbourne cant see the wood for the trees and Cameron employed one of the biggest crooks in the biggest corruption enquiry there has ever been in this country - so Boris has only one option, and that is to distance himself. Which politically is a bit tricky! I think people will punish the tories nationally, by voting locally. London is basically all Labour has left now that Scotland has gone ( which they will regret, poor scots ).

I also dont expect any recovery for the far right. that annihilation of the BNP at the last GE must still hurt.

Allegedly Ken Livingstone took a load of bribes from property developers for a lot of high rise developments in an around central london, according to a dodgy property developer who is related to a friend of my family. Wouldn't surprise me at all, the guy is bent as a two bob note.

Allegedly Ken Livingstone took a load of bribes from property developers for a lot of high rise developments in an around central london, according to a dodgy property developer who is related to a friend of my family. Wouldn't surprise me at all, the guy is bent as a two bob note.

property developers are the scum of the earth though. I wouldnt trust one with a cheese sandwich, a close second is politicians, followed by estate agents.

basically, Land is the root of alot of evil in this world. on a tiny island like ours its a commodity in short supply.

Livingstones only policy that I can see is too cut fares which to be fair is likely to be a winning policy.

I think Boris has done well for London but this battle will be fought on transport and after waiting 40 minutes for a jubilee line train this morning (again) I will see who comes up with some better plans for the tube. Talk of Livingstone putting one of Crows cronies on TFL board which I am heavily against.

Such a gonad*s policy to hinge a campaign on though. If its cut the moneys got to come from somewhere. The issue is not the rate at which the mayor sets fares, its the extortionate price the monopoly of contractors charge for engineering the transport systems. They take the tinkle and are all in cahoots with one another. They will pad out a job that could take an hour for days with "safety seminars" and charge by the hour.

Such a gonad*s policy to hinge a campaign on though. If its cut the moneys got to come from somewhere. The issue is not the rate at which the mayor sets fares, its the extortionate price the monopoly of contractors charge for engineering the transport systems. They take the tinkle and are all in cahoots with one another. They will pad out a job that could take an hour for days with "safety seminars" and charge by the hour.

this... but its a central government issue iirc? metronet was handed down from the privitisation of the Tube as part of PPi. its an unholy mess which one of the candidates will surely exploit

Johnson all the way. What he's done for the city in his term is brilliant.

He's had rows with Cameron over the cuts, he's done his utmost best to ensure the poorest areas should be regenerated, and his work on the Olympics has been excellent. Truly, I believe he deserves it again

Im not condoning it, but corruption will exist where certain conditions are met! I believe Boris has also had to sack all of his team in his first 6 months because of similar concerns. But I guess its the nature of the beast. Different political leanings just means who gets to put the snout in the trough. Politics is 'who gets what'.

In the Ken part of that article I mentioned he says he prefers Steve Norris as an opponent, much harder working etc. Also called Paul Dacre a fudgewit, which is surprising from a tory! Although not surprising Dacre was the target.

Im not sure I agree with people choosing Ken because things were rosy during his tenure. His 2000 battle was won as an independant candidate more as a protest vote against the main parties - and currently the tory top brass are seriously in danger of collapse. Lansley is wrecking havoc in the NHS, Warsi is a looney, Gove is utterly detached from human emotion, Osbourne cant see the wood for the trees and Cameron employed one of the biggest crooks in the biggest corruption enquiry there has ever been in this country - so Boris has only one option, and that is to distance himself. Which politically is a bit tricky! I think people will punish the tories nationally, by voting locally. London is basically all Labour has left now that Scotland has gone ( which they will regret, poor scots ).

I also dont expect any recovery for the far right. that annihilation of the BNP at the last GE must still hurt.

Im not sure the country blame the tories that much for the country, looking at the opinon polls the public still rightly attribute blame to the last labour government for our record debt levels and budget defecit.

Im fast going off mainstream politics im purely a UKIP man and nothing else matters to me. I do think that the london mayoral elections are important to the country as london accounts for so much of the countries wealth. Think people that work in london should get a vote as well as the ones that live there. That does not include me, because apart from going to the lane and the odd night at the theatre i try to keep out of london.

Was wondering if people just vote for the person who represents the party they vote for at the general election of if they vote for who they think is best for london, i suppose they could always be the same person/party.

Johnson all the way. What he's done for the city in his term is brilliant.

He's had rows with Cameron over the cuts, he's done his utmost best to ensure the poorest areas should be regenerated, and his work on the Olympics has been excellent. Truly, I believe he deserves it again

What about Ken's role that was instrumental in bringing the olympics to London in the first place?

Back