• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Football Negotiations - Is Levy that good? (and other stances...)

BrainOfLevy

Michael Carrick
This is something that really intrigues me, especially being a fan of a club with Daniel Levy as chairman, where he seems to view himself as a connoisseur of the art. I want to ask, does anyone have any idea of how football negotiations work exactly?

The reason I ask, is because I wonder what happens that takes so much time. It's obviously not like Football Manager, where you simply increase your bid and that's that. There seems to be a lot more calculation involved. I was just wondering what it is that forces clubs to suddenly pay the fee demanded. Or what it is that forces clubs to accept a fee that they previously were not going to.

Like Levy with Vertonghen. What exactly was it that made them finally accept? I just feel like it's a really interesting subject, but I can't quite get my head around it. I can see that both clubs will set an initial valuation of a player. They may then come up with an individual strategy for each deal where they know how they are going to increase their bid, or how they are going to let a certain amount of time pass before making another move etc.

It would just be really interesting to know how clubs set a valuation, how they judge the balance of power. Like us with Ade. Obviously we have an idea of what is acceptable to us. We know the fee we want to pay and the wages we want to offer. But City also have an idea of a fee. We want a striker and they know that. But we know that they have to get rid of him in order to free up wages. So what is the occurrence that makes one of those clubs decide to blink first? And do they not know they were always going to blink? It just seems like they must both know how it is going to go. Both clubs must have weighed each other up perfectly and know exactly what they need and are capable of doing. It's like they are just letting time pass in order for everything to fall into place.

And that seems to be the only thing that changes anything. It's time. And it seems like as a club, there is a spectrum of what you can choose. You can either choose to be a club that pays the fee to get the players you want in as quickly as possible, or you decide to be a club that waits it out for the highest possible fee, regardless of on field performance. And your standing as a club would dictate what you can be - a club with less financial resources may be more on the side of waiting it out, while one more flush with cash would see the benefit of sorting their business early.

But there was a good post in the transfer ITK thread. If we wait it out too long we potentially lose out on points that may be vital come the end of the season because we didn't sort our business. Like when we waited to sell Berbatov, we had to play 2 or 3 games without a player who's head wasn't in it, and we didn't get a replacement, so we dropped points. But the plus point was that we got a really good fee. So we forced United into it eventually, but we probably surprised them, because they would expect us to rather get our business done sooner and not jeopardise the team's performance in the meantime. It seems like time is the only thing that hurries anything along. The time passed enough that we forced United into paying because they wanted their striker, and we also strengthened our negotiating position because we could say we wouldn't have time to find a replacement, so the fee needs to be high to compensate.

So from this I would deduce that even though I am a massive Levy fan, I wouldn't actually class him as any more of a special negotiator than his contemporaries. He simply falls - extremely - on the side of the spectrum that values the higher fee over getting the business sorted early. And that has its plus points, but also it's negatives. In the Berbatov scenario, it set us back a year. Sure, we got £30 mil for him, but we basically had to spend that anyway just to get us out of trouble in January. Maybe if we sold Berbatov for less of a fee 2 weeks before, we could have gotten a quality replacement in, maybe still had a bit left over to strengthen another area, and maybe wouldn't have had a season without European football, and less gate receipts and money that came from that anyway. Plus the inflated fees we paid for Palacios and Defoe because we were in a desperate situation cancelled out the inflated fee we got for Berbatov.

That example doesn't include Levy getting good prices for squad players that we don't need any more. £7mil for Mido was great business. He gets good fees for the likes of Krancjar and Corluka because he demands high fees. He obviously judged that the buying clubs in these scenarios valued having the clubs on board sooner and training with them rather than saving a bit on the fee. But he's also demanded high fees for the likes of Gomes and Bentley and hasn't been able to move them on. Maybe they will eventually turn out to be good options to have in the squad, but maybe if we accepted lesser fees we could have replaced them with other players who could have added real value to our team over the course that certain players have been frozen out.

Anyway, I don't know what the point of me writing all this was. Maybe to analyse Levy and say he isn't necessarily a supreme negotiator, he just places more value in getting the higher fee rather than getting the business sorted. But I am also interested in seeing if anyone knows how negotiations actually work in football? Or have any insight at all to it? As far as I can see, the thing that moves a deal along isn't that a superb negotiator turns his opposition inside out and leaves them bamboozled before getting the best deal for himself, it's that time moves on so the parameters change slightly. I would guess that clubs have certain values the are willing to pay at certain times, which increase as they get towards the deadline. I used to think that Levy has set certain values on players he wants to buy because if he has to pay any more, the club just wouldn't be able to function. But that clearly isn't the case. He just takes the view that every pound saved counts. I agree, in the sense that we are competing with clubs with far more financial muscle and therefore money saved on one deal could see us be able to buy another player in another deal that we may not have been able to had we just decided to spend the cash or accept a lower bid.

But I think as a club we need to temper our negotiating stance slightly and I hope we have done. Just reel ourselves a little bit more towards the middle of the spectrum. We can't wait until midnight on deadline day in order to accept a high bid, high five ourselves that we finally got what we wanted, only to then realise we haven't got a replacement and that we've dropped points in the first 2 games of the season because we hadn't concluded our business. We need to maybe take a hit on getting the absolute maximum fee in order to have the best players available in the competitive matches, because the money that can be gained from higher finishing positions from higher points, will potentially far outweigh what we saved on a tight deal anyway. Levy said he learnt his lesson from the Berbatov deal. I just hope he has done.

Levy obviously approaches it from a business POV. He has extensive experience in negotiating deals, unlike many chairmen and managers. With so many clubs running at losses for years it's obviously the right approach.

When there's a big difference in valuations it often comes down to who's most desperate, buyer or seller. If you let the manager decide he will just chuck money at it to get the player. Over time the millions we gain will become a significant amount. The question is if negotiations can be speeded up. Backing off for a while to let the other club sweat a bit can be a good negotiating tactic if they need to sell, but is it always the best choice? And when a price is agreed, do we then head into a new round of negotiating to structure the deal?

Sometimes I wonder if it wouldn't be more profitable to sell a player below our asking price instead of paying another year of wages and other expenses. When a player is surplus it doesn't make sense keeping him around as his value isn't going to increase.

Levy obviously approaches it from a business POV. He has extensive experience in negotiating deals, unlike many chairmen and managers. With so many clubs running at losses for years it's obviously the right approach.

When there's a big difference in valuations it often comes down to who's most desperate, buyer or seller. If you let the manager decide he will just chuck money at it to get the player. Over time the millions we gain will become a significant amount. The question is if negotiations can be speeded up. Backing off for a while to let the other club sweat a bit can be a good negotiating tactic if they need to sell, but is it always the best choice? And when a price is agreed, do we then head into a new round of negotiating to structure the deal?

Sometimes I wonder if it wouldn't be more profitable to sell a player below our asking price instead of paying another year of wages and other expenses. When a player is surplus it doesn't make sense keeping him around as his value isn't going to increase.

I do think backing off in a normal sense would be a good negotiating tactic - this is what I wonder about football though, surely the other club knows exactly what you are doing? They know exactly who your realistic targets would be, and they know that you will be back in for their player soon enough.

Similar to how we see players seemingly linked by agents/clubs leaking it out to help with a negotiation. Like for example if a club was looking for a left back and negotiated with us for BAE, we may then read that they are weighing up a move for Baines. I don't think it fools clubs for a second but there must be a reason why it happens. Or AVB saying that we are absolutely not looking for a goalkeeper. He's probably been instructed to say it - but does it really fool Lyon if 20 minutes ago Levy was on the phone trying to see what they will accept for Lloris?

I think Levy is a good negotiator, I think he is clearly better at running a football club as a business than most if not all other chairmen in the league. But I do think the strategy hinders us sometimes. If we have a lower finishing position because we held off on selling key players only to then not replace them, it costs us money. Even if long-term we got the best price, it may set us back X amount of seasons and it could have been avoided. This is why Fergie says Levy is different IMO. He probably knew United could be forced to pay the highest reasonable price possible if Levy held on, but he was probably surprised that Levy would rather value the money over getting the deal done and signing a replacement. We seem to hold on a lot more than most other clubs, who may wait it out a bit, but ultimately do seem to move quick enough in order to bring someone else in.

Agree on selling deadwood sooner, as well as using the fee to sign a more useful player the wages we are paying out could be saved too.

Overall I think every club has their 'place' in the league and the strategies they choose compliment it and give them the best possible chance of success. I think ours is broadly right, but we just need a slight adjustment to get deals done quicker. Obviously it can depend player to player. I would not be happy if we get to the Saudi Sportswashing Machine game with Kane and Defoe as our only strikers. But maybe we could afford to let Lloris run until the deadline because we would be happy for Brad to do the job until then. That sort of thing.

Maybe Levy's tactics will make clubs think twice in the future before trying to steal our top players on the cheap. Either put up or shut up.

he seems to view himself as a connoisseur of the art.

I've never heard of him even mentioning it. It's simply the perception of the world of football. I can imagine other teams drawing straws on who is going to phone him if they want one of our players. On the other side you can imagine your secretary saying "I've got a Mr.Levy on the line......":eek:

Wouldn't say it's negoating the basic fee that takes the time, it will be the terms and contracts etc. Think of buying a house, or a multi-million pound deal at work - then multiply by a complexity of about 20. Remember £10m signing is about 8% of the club's entire turnover, even before wages.

Deals don't take any longer than they ever used to, we just hear and speculate more on them much earlier.

Maybe Levy's tactics will make clubs think twice in the future before trying to steal our top players on the cheap. Either put up or shut up.

To be honest I don't think it does, nor ever will. We send out a message that we won't accept a low bid, but to be honest it's always the same story. The bid increases until nearer the deadline we accept.

It didn't stop Madrid and Chelsea starting off with derisory bids for Modric, even after we held out for a big fee with Berbatov. It didn't change their negotiating stances at all.

Although with Carrick, we got what can be considered a good fee for him at the time and didn't have to wait until deadline day to get it. (Even though we still failed to replace him properly :-( ) so I wonder what the negotiation was like here? How did Levy play it? I guess it was pre-Glazer and pre-recession, so maybe United had a bit more cash lying around and we willing to pay to get Carrick on board sooner rather than later. And both clubs knew Carrick was the best, most proven midfielder likely to be available that summer and so didn't worry about haggling over the price as much.

I've never heard of him even mentioning it. It's simply the perception of the world of football. I can imagine other teams drawing straws on who is going to phone him if they want one of our players. On the other side you can imagine your secretary saying "I've got a Mr.Levy on the line......":eek:

Fair enough, that was probably a bad line. He doesn't necessarily view himself as that at all.

Agreed on what you say though. They probably do draw straws because whoever has to do have to deal with what seems to be a hilariously stubborn man in the name of our club's cause. Good on him.

Wouldn't say it's negoating the basic fee that takes the time, it will be the terms and contracts etc. Think of buying a house, or a multi-million pound deal at work - then multiply by a complexity of about 20. Remember £10m signing is about 8% of the club's entire turnover, even before wages.

Deals don't take any longer than they ever used to, we just hear and speculate more on them much earlier.

Yeah I agree - I mean the whole thing though and not just the fee, what is it that makes one club blink and accept what the other wants?

Yeah I agree - I mean the whole thing though and not just the fee, what is it that makes one club blink and accept what the other wants?

It's just like hangling I guess. If both are willing partners then you meet in the middle. If one is more desperate to buy/sell and this is known, then they pay a premium/take a hit.

Depends on how determined they are or desperate they get. Closer to the deadline you might accept less/offer more. If it's earlier in the window it probably means an offer was made that surpassed the sellers minimum or the buyer issued an ultimatum. Or the seller really needs the cash, maybe a replacement is lined up.

I'm not sure Levy views himself as "a connoisseur of the art". He just is trying to get the best deal for his club. His emphasis on business might mean he puts a bit to much emphasis on the headline figure, which is an objective measure, and less on consequences of less preparation, which is hard to measure.

A transfer is also not a single transaction in isolation. The selling club will usually need a replacement and the club they get their replacement will need a replacement and so on. So a transfer could be held up while other deals are finalised. One tough deal might hold up a whole chain of transfers. A club might be willing to accept a lower fee once they identify their target replacement so they can get the deal done.

In many transfer searches there won't be a single target. A club might be looking at different options for a new striker. They might be both equally favoured and then its just the best deal or one might be clear backup. If the backup is part of a transaction chain it will delay other deals. Also a club might have a budget and want several players. If they end up with a more expensive striker they might need to choose a different midfielder. Or a striker who can play wide might impact on the type of midfielder targeted. So again each transaction is part of a web of other deals.

Then there might be payment terms. A lump sum up front or payment in installments, which can be spaced over four years (e.g. our purchase of Modric). Clubs might need cash. Southampton took early reduced settlements for both Walcott and Bale. A club willing to pay cash up front can gain an advantage as it might increase the options for the other club in getting the players they want.an

And we can't ignore the fact that the football market is skewed. In a proper free market, Madrid would offer us a fee for Modric and we reject it or accept it. If we reject it they could make further offers if they want, but if they don't then we keep the player. In reality, we have a host of additional factors that complicate the deal making: greedy agents, players willing to break their contracts, etc. This adds to the complications as the clubs don't know the thinking of the other club. Madrid might hold off on offering a bigger deal in the hope that we'll relent as the deadline approaches because we don't want to risk an unhappy player affecting the squad, but that strategy will fail if we judge that Modric will play hard again. Meanwhile, a potential Moutinho deal could he in limbo, while Porto have other deals on hold.

Clubs looking for a higher price will also use agents to try and raise the offers, either by getting another club to make an offer or hinting that the player will be sold elsewhere. It doesn't even have to be true. Agents and friendly journalists can set rumours in place. So we can add some games of bluff to the equation. A club who really wants a player might play a bit more or they might call the bluff and wait it out.

A bit rambling, but I think the key point is that each transaction is just one in web of interdependent transactions involving different players and clubs, with games of bluff and brinksmanship thrown in. Deals get done late as the deadline focuses the mind and causes some transactions to be done, which allows a chain of others to follow.

You'd certainly want him in your corner if you were negotiating a deal. I respect the fact that he always tries to get the best deal for THFC.

However, he does have his faults. It's already been mentioned, we got £30m for Berbatov, but we were left with no time to bring in a decent replacement and thus ended up with Frazier Campbell. It would have been better to accept a slightly lower bid and get him the hell out of the football club sooner than he did.

I'm not convinced that he is willing to ever take a massive gamble i.e. pay £30m+ for someone like Llorente. Sometimes you have to take a risk in the transfer market as Liverpool did with Torres. I fear that we won't be getting Moutinho even if we sell Modric as he won't pay more than a certain price. I'm not saying we should go out and spend £100m like Liverpool did, but our highest transfer fee is £16m!

From a business perspective - he is very good.

From the footballing perspective - its highly annoying, can be detrimental to our football and can adversely impact our preparations.

I dont care about what other teams do I care about what we do.

I wouldnt say he is that good. No different to any other chairman.

A good negotiator would get the good deals done before transfer deadline day. Every window he seems to wait until the last day and ends up paying a high price or missing out on the player completely. Half the time it also means we have to shift a player so end up letting someone go on loan or cheaply.

If we are the selling club, its easy to hold out for more money, but the Berba situation... I wouldnt really call that a result for us? And every time he does it, he tinkles off another club that just make it more difficult for us in the future to negotiate with them.

I dont think he is really different to any other chairman, the selling club normally holds out and gets the fee. A lot of chairman just accept the situation early and do the right thing football wise and pay the money earlier. Real Madrid are going to do it with Modric, they could wait for deadline day and stump up, but they will just pay roughly the same figure now and get him for pre season.

What Levy is exceptionally good at is running the club within our means. He has a strict policy and wont break the wages for anyone. We are a well run club, but negotiating with other football clubs is probably no different to most chairman. Im not even sure he is going to mug Emirates Marketing Project as well as other teams have done/will do.

I wouldnt say he is that good. No different to any other chairman.

A good negotiator would get the good deals done before transfer deadline day. Every window he seems to wait until the last day and ends up paying a high price or missing out on the player completely. Half the time it also means we have to shift a player so end up letting someone go on loan or cheaply.

If we are the selling club, its easy to hold out for more money, but the Berba situation... I wouldnt really call that a result for us? And every time he does it, he tinkles off another club that just make it more difficult for us in the future to negotiate with them.

I dont think he is really different to any other chairman, the selling club normally holds out and gets the fee. A lot of chairman just accept the situation early and do the right thing football wise and pay the money earlier. Real Madrid are going to do it with Modric, they could wait for deadline day and stump up, but they will just pay roughly the same figure now and get him for pre season.

What Levy is exceptionally good at is running the club within our means. He has a strict policy and wont break the wages for anyone. We are a well run club, but negotiating with other football clubs is probably no different to most chairman. Im not even sure he is going to mug Emirates Marketing Project as well as other teams have done/will do.

That's a good point. It's a disadvantage of his strategy. You end up paying less for players, but you don't have the advantage of having the players around for the start of the season i.e. Parker where we desperately needed a midfielder like him during our first two games last season.

Back