• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Football and TV

I wonder if we'll ever see UEFA, the Premier League etc just skip these broadcasters and do it themselves. The Premier League already kind of do - they produce the worldwide feed and then sell the rights to local broadcasters. Why not get rid of them and have the fan subscribe directly via an app?
Although they'll need to bring in a outside broadcast and production company to provide the hardware to get the games to air, i dont think it is beyond the realms of possibility that this may happen. As the internet, mobile networks and technologies advance it may be a way to challenge traditional broadcasters and get on top of piracy. If you can control the content better and charge a price that fans won't mind paying for guaranteed realibilty and definition then it could be a goer.

Of course they are receiving a truck load of money from BT etc at the moment so perhaps the motivation isnt there although they are probably having awkward conversations with their current big name sponsors around the drop off in viewing numbers.

Edit: Just had a look and on the current Prem deal Sky are effectively paying just over £11m per game. If the Prem sold direct could they top that when West Brom are playing Sunderland on MNF. I think not.

Last edited:
Market Pool (€507 million) Distribution:
UEFA has announced €507 million in market pool money for each of the next three champions league seasons. Which will be distributed according proportional value of each TV market (Country/League). So the market pool awarded to each country’s league will be distributed among the teams from that league according to their performance in previous league season and how many matches they will play in the given champions league season.

English clubs will benefit the most with the new Market Pool distribution system and If an english club were to win the champions league in 2016-17 season they will earn more than €110 million (around €55m from performance based + another €50m/€60m with market pool).
Isn't this changing in 2018 so that some of the money will be paid to teams based on their coefficient? And the coefficient for financial distribution purposes (as opposed to the one used for draw seeding) will cover the last ten years and will include bonus points for previous titles.

Isn't this changing in 2018 so that some of the money will be paid to teams based on their coefficient? And the coefficient for financial distribution purposes (as opposed to the one used for draw seeding) will cover the last ten years and will include bonus points for previous titles.
Good grief.

I think the Market Pool is still separate and the main prize is as you describe (as far as I could find out).

It's a bad situation for the likes of BT, Sky, ITV. They battle it out, inflating the cost of their tender bid just to secure the services of the golden goose when in reality it could be a lame duck. I just dont think the figures add up....but they're petrified to lose out as it's prime content (in their eyes)

I think you're confusing "they" i.e. BT as a whole, with the CEO who presumably earns a MASSIVE salary and is charged with being forward-thinking and making BT exciting and not just the fat old turnip it became in the 90s and 00s... so this CEO thinks... I'm earning LOADSAMONEY and I'm supposed to bring in some excitement... I could drop the call cost for non-local non-peak-time calls to ten friends and family within the allotted time period from threppence to thruppence... OR... I could get Ronaldo and Messi doing keepy uppies.... and it's not my money ... so.... ermmm.... mmmm.... tough decision... should I just swadge a load of cash up the wall and then bang these strippers or.... hmmmm... oooh... toughie

Whilst I get the pool fan complaints it's the joys of the prem. You take the money from Sky, your at the beck and call
Most years yes but right now sky need the PL more than the PL needs sky, BT or streaming can pay the difference.

Now is the time for fans and clubs to push back.

Most years yes but right now sky need the PL more than the PL needs sky, BT or streaming can pay the difference.

Now is the time for fans and clubs to push back.

I can't see Sky winning the next Bidding.

What a shame.... what a shame.

They will - without the PL they are nothing, they cant afford not to win it.

Imo

They can't afford to match Facebook etc without raising the costs again, which people won't pay.

I'm about at the limit I would pay for a non Spurs exclusive package.

They have lost the Ashes/CL and potentially the Spanish League (if that's your thing) they can't charge anymore.

Much how I'm not a fan of streaming games due to quality - if they raise the cost I'll do that.

The only way I can see them getting away with another rise is to bin off the "super Sundays" that involve games like Stoke v Burnley and Palace v Bournemouth

They can't afford to match Facebook etc without raising the costs again, which people won't pay.

I'm about at the limit I would pay for a non Spurs exclusive package.

They have lost the Ashes/CL and potentially the Spanish League (if that's your thing) they can't charge anymore.

Much how I'm not a fan of streaming games due to quality - if they raise the cost I'll do that.

The only way I can see them getting away with another rise is to bin off the "super Sundays" that involve games like Stoke v Burnley and Palace v Bournemouth
Without PL they don't have a business though - they know that so they will either run at a loss for a few years hoping that will scare others or charge more.

They are trying to create their own content but are not very good at doing this consistently - they have no choice but to bet the house.

They need to do what the film industry is finally getting to grips with.

You need to be able to watch what you want, when you want it - on any device you have handy.

I would pay them well to have HD, compatible streaming of all Spurs matches wherever and whenever I want them.
Me too.

Back